Help! Stupid computer question about Outlook Express

bsnyder

DIS Veteran
Most of the time when I receive an email with an attachment, I can't open the attachment, and the email has a message header that says:

"OE has removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail."

I have Windows XP Home version that came with my computer, which uses Microsoft Works word processing and spreadsheets. I think the attachments are using Microsoft Word, and Excel. Is that why I can't open them? Or is it problem because I'm using Outlook Express, instead of Outlook, like I used to at work? And do I have to purchase those software programs to be able to open the attachments, or is there another way?

Thanks for any help ya'll can give!

No problem... here's what to do.

-Go into Outlook Express
-Click on "Tools"
-Click on "Options"
-Click on the "Security" tab
-Uncheck the box that says.... Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus.

That's it! :)

Yup. It's not that OE can't open it. It's Outlook Express blocking the attachment. So, just unblock (which could be dangerous in the long run), and you'll receive and can open it normally.

I have another OE question. I tried sending an email that was too large, so I got an error message saying "the message can't be sent, message size too large". My problem is, now I can't send, or receive email since that email is preventing anything from happening. I don't know how to delete a message that hasn't been sent, and when I try anything OE automatically tries to send the message first.
The unsent message isn't in any folders, it's kinds just stunk in unsent mail limbo.

Thank you for any advice

Oh, I've had that problem before....
the only thing that worked for me was to change your settings.
Goto Options/General tab and uncheck "Send and Receive at start up". Then go in and delete the file from your outbox, and reset your send/receive at startup (if you want!)

Good luck.

the problem is, it's not in the sent folder, since I haven't sent it yet. It's it limbo somewhere.

check your drafts folder that should be where it's sitting. at least that's where mine live.

If it's in the Drafts folder, it shouldn't try to send every time you launch OE. It sounds like it's caught in the Outbox.

What Boo's Mom suggested should work. You can always go back & redo your settings once you've gotten rid of the message.

Im glad I read this post. We just got cable and now have to use OE for e-mail (I dont like it either) and I couldnt get any of my attachments.

OMG! I found it! It was in a folder called "local folders" not anywhere newar my in or outbox. Thanks to all for your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter