Help reading MRI report - UPDATE other side 🤣

TheIncredibles!

Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award
IMG_1766.jpegYeah yeah I am waiting on my DR :rotfl2: but they are still closed for the holidays. I am off to google. Anybody that is knowledgable help me decipher this please - lol

ETA: now let’s add the left shoulder into the mix!!!! I am scheduled for right shoulder surgery August 8th and below is my left shoulder from Friday. I have the dr appt later today. I guess I’m long hauling it at PT for this entire year 🤣🤣🤣🤣 SORRY ABOVE NEW MRI. Below is the old one lol

1703698719223.png

Last edited:
Looking up various parts of that you might be able to piece together a general idea, but I really wouldn't do that. I've tried myself and ended up more confused than anything.

Looking up various parts of that you might be able to piece together a general idea, but I really wouldn't do that. I've tried myself and ended up more confused than anything.
The OCD is strong and uncontrollable....:P I already have myself under the knife with months of recovery. It can only go uphill from there - 👍

The OCD is strong and uncontrollable....:P I already have myself under the knife with months of recovery. It can only go uphill from there - 👍
I read a head scan that reported atypical meningioma and my first thought was "when is one typical??". My neurologist just shook his head when I told him that.

Yeah yeah I am waiting on my DR :rotfl2: but they are still closed for the holidays. I am off to google. Anybody that is knowledgable help me decipher this please - lol

View attachment 820780

1st bullet:
Supraspinatus is 1 of 4 rotator cuff muscles. It's on the back of your shoulder blade. This is saying that there's a 9x8 mm tear in this muscle near a tendon. This is also saying that you have some joint degeneration in the acromioclavicular join, which is formed by the cap of the shoulder and the collar bone (clavicle).

2nd bullet:
Infraspinatus is a triangle-shaped muscle that covers most of your scapula (shoulder blade). It's on the back of the scapula (not the front, which would be closer to front of your body). This 2nd bullet is saying that you have a tear in this muscle, too. the tear is 2.3 cm long and there's scar tissue in the muscle.

3rd bullet:
Subscapularis is another shoulder blade/rotator cuff muscle. Tendinosis is degeneration of a tendon's collagen. Often happens with chronic overuse. This bullet is probably talking about tendon degeneration of the tendon that connects to your subscapularis muscle.

4th bullet:
You're losing the cartilage at the top of your humerus bone, which is where the bone meets up in your shoulder joint.

5th bullet:
Tenosynovitis is where the lining/sheath that surrounds the biceps tendon is inflamed.

So if you're wondering why your shoulder hurts, it's because all of the above! :-(

So you’re having shoulder pain? :laughing: A lot of what happens is going to depend on you - your age, general health, ability to use your arm and pain levels, etc. But looking up some of these terms (orthopedics is not my specialty) it seems like the two options you’re likely to be presented with are conservative treatment or surgery for your rotator cuff.

”While conservative treatment is often effective in reducing pain and improving range of motion and function, persistent symptoms and disability may be present warranting surgical intervention. A variety of approaches to the surgical management of partial thickness rotator cuff tears have been described with varying results in the literature.

Non–Operative Management​

A trial of non-operative management for patients presenting with a partial thickness rotator cuff tear is the usual approach with improvements in pain, motion and strength often seen. Non-operative management includes activity modification with avoidance of provocative activities, anti-inflammatory medications, subacromial corticosteroid injections and supervised physical therapy to maintain or regain range of motion, perform capsular stretching and improve rotator cuff and periscapular muscle strength once inflammation and pain have subsided. While there is limited data supporting the use of subacromial corticosteroid injections in the setting of partial thickness rotator cuff tears, many patients get significant relief following this portion of their non-operative treatment regimen. Many patients improve with conservative measures over the course of 3-6 months. There is some data to support the fact that bursal-sided tears respond poorly to non-operative treatment and early surgical intervention is recommended.

Indications for Surgery​

Patients with persistent symptoms of pain and disability after an adequate trial of non-operative treatment should be considered for surgery. Patients with high grade articular sided lesions (> 50% of the tendon insertion) and those with bursal sided tears should be observed closely for their response to non-operative management with consideration given to early surgical intervention.

Sounds like you messed up your shoulder! DH had a pretty significant tear in his supraspinatus; he had a lot of PT and then rotator cuff surgery. He's doing OK- starting to finally be weight bearing and it's going to take a while, but he's doing well. Hope if all goes well for you, too.

I had my first rotator cuff injury after a fall on the ice last winter. We went for conservative treatment and it helped.

One thing I can say for certain is that when we get up into our 40s and 50s and beyond, we start to see a lot of arthritis in joints that we may not even be aware we have. That is what “degeneration” refers to, and that, in itself, can be painful.

Thank you. This has been a very frustrating journey. Does anybody know if the above is likely surgical?

I live with chronic pain. I medicate to tamp down chronic pain. Often my pain is just brushed off because I am over weight, I am in my 50's and I have anxiety. Oh she must be overreacting... For the above I saw a Chiropractor first because I thought it was my neck, the pain is just all up and down my shoulder, neck, arm. He ordered a complete set of spinal xrays, it's a hot mess, he wanted $3500 to treat me. :P

So then I went to my Primary Dr who gave me lidocaine patches, ordered an xray (approved and showed nothing)and MRI (denied)

Off to pain management then who told me he's not going to look into anything or do any scans etc, this is likely age related, normal breakdown of my spine, no need to over treat, here's 2 weeks of PT. If the 2 weeks do not fix this, don't come back but ask for the Orthopedist that handles shoulders insteafd etc. (Same big practice)

2 weeks pt, some improvement of course but not enough. Go to Ortho. He does another xray only, tells me it's bursitis, ice my joint, here's a steroid shot and 6 more weeks of pt. Tells me there's likely no need to follow up with him, I should be fine. I try telling him I think my shoulder is unstable, I am feeling it during certain exercises, I think I need an MRI. Nope we are good, you'd be in much more pain than this. Than what? :rotfl2:👍

10 weeks of pt later and I go back..... OK here is a second steroid shot. How about an MRI now?" Gee thanks. "Well I doubt it's a tear of any kind but let's see what is happening and we will go from there"1703703416605.png

Thank you. This has been a very frustrating journey. Does anybody know if the above is likely surgical?

I live with chronic pain. I medicate to tamp down chronic pain. Often my pain is just brushed off because I am over weight, I am in my 50's and I have anxiety. Oh she must be overreacting... For the above I saw a Chiropractor first because I thought it was my neck, the pain is just all up and down my shoulder, neck, arm. He ordered a complete set of spinal xrays, it's a hot mess, he wanted $3500 to treat me. :P

So then I went to my Primary Dr who gave me lidocaine patches, ordered an xray (approved and showed nothing)and MRI (denied)

Off to pain management then who told me he's not going to look into anything or do any scans etc, this is likely age related, normal breakdown of my spine, no need to over treat, here's 2 weeks of PT. If the 2 weeks do not fix this, don't come back but ask for the Orthopedist that handles shoulders insteafd etc. (Same big practice)

2 weeks pt, some improvement of course but not enough. Go to Ortho. He does another xray only, tells me it's bursitis, ice my joint, here's a steroid shot and 6 more weeks of pt. Tells me there's likely no need to follow up with him, I should be fine. I try telling him I think my shoulder is unstable, I am feeling it during certain exercises, I think I need an MRI. Nope we are good, you'd be in much more pain than this. Than what? :rotfl2:👍

10 weeks of pt later and I go back..... OK here is a second steroid shot. How about an MRI now?" Gee thanks. "Well I doubt it's a tear of any kind but let's see what is happening and we will go from there"View attachment 820801
Not an expert to know if you'd need surgery, but *generally* tears don't heal. Sometimes they can, but usually very small ones or you can manage life with a small tear.

FWIW, I'm going through a similar process as you right now; however, with my hip. I kind of get the runaround or, honestly, can't even get an orthopedic doctor to make eye contact with me and I'm shooed out of the office in under 5 minutes.

I'm with an orthepedic doctor right now who is *not* a surgeon and does conservative modalities who at least has fabulous bedside manner and we're taking it in steps. I've been in PT on and off for a year, had an injection, but nothing is helping.

I hate to always say this but as an over-50 female I feel like we are constantly disregarded and doctor underestimate the amount of pain we can tolerate and get through so when they see us going on with our routines they think we must be okay.

10 weeks of pt later and I go back..... OK here is a second steroid shot. How about an MRI now?" Gee thanks. "Well I doubt it's a tear of any kind but let's see what is happening and we will go from there"View attachment 820801
Not sure anyone here can say for sure. It will depend on many things, as I listed above, but also doctor preferences.

Good luck, I know this can be a frustrating journey. I, personally, don’t do surgery unless it’s absolutely needed, because I happen to see in my work a lot of the things that can go wrong, even with “routine” surgeries and procedures, and I’d rather not be dealing with that type of thing, either.

😡 Well, I suppose they were right. It wasn’t “a tear,” it was TWO tears.

I agree that you are getting the run-around. I, too, was overweight when my knee journey began 15 years ago, when the ortho told me nothing was wrong and I was just too fat. I am really sorry you are going through so much nonsense just to be treated. Be prepared for your insurance company to deny any kind of surgery until you go through- and fail- a 6 week course of physical therapy. Seems to be the "standard of care" these days- or NOT care. DH and I both had this experience, him with his shoulder and me with my knee. My ortho went to bat and pointed out that I need a knee replacement because there was NO cartilage on the femur, tibia, and patella, an no amount or PT in the world was going to regrow that cartillage! DH did the 6 weeks of therapy and although he had less pain and improved range of motion, his small, partial tear became a large, complete tear; the insurance finally approved the surgery.

Good luck.

I have been getting all sorts of results back from biopsies and NONE of them sound good, not cancer but also not great.

I did some googling which did nothing to assuage my angst, :scared:just put it all down, walk away and wait to hear from the people with all the fancy diplomas to translate, then get a second opinion. Try not to let this ruin your New Years vibe.

Tendinosis explained by Johns Hopkins Medicine

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/partial-rotator-cuff-tear

Why Rotator Cuff Tendons Get Tears

It is not known why rotator cuff tendons develop tears, but it’s associated with aging. By the time someone is 60 years old, there is a good chance they have some partial tears or complete tears of the rotator cuff.

What do partial rotator cuff tears look like?​

As tendinosis increases, eventually it can be seen with the naked eye. When a tendon begins to tear, it looks like fibers of a rope that are splitting and fraying. Partial tears are very common and it’s not known why one person may have symptoms and another may not. One study that examined MRI scans from people over age 60 found that more than 50 percent had partial tears of their rotator cuff tendons and never knew it.

Should I worry about a partial rotator cuff tear found on an MRI?​

The answer is generally “no,” as these partial tears are very common and considered part of the aging process. A finding of a partial tear of the rotator cuff is essentially normal in people over the age of 40. Partial tears that show up on MRI scans typically don’t need treatment as long as they don’t hurt or cause problems.

Not an expert to know if you'd need surgery, but *generally* tears don't heal. Sometimes they can, but usually very small ones or you can manage life with a small tear.

FWIW, I'm going through a similar process as you right now; however, with my hip. I kind of get the runaround or, honestly, can't even get an orthopedic doctor to make eye contact with me and I'm shooed out of the office in under 5 minutes.

I'm with an orthepedic doctor right now who is *not* a surgeon and does conservative modalities who at least has fabulous bedside manner and we're taking it in steps. I've been in PT on and off for a year, had an injection, but nothing is helping.

I hate to always say this but as an over-50 female I feel like we are constantly disregarded and doctor underestimate the amount of pain we can tolerate and get through so when they see us going on with our routines they think we must be okay.
This is 100% my experience with as well with everybody except my primary and my female oncologist it’s exhausting. Women can handle pain, likely more pain than most men, but we are treated like we are moaning over a hangnail :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter