Help me with my August trip

mhingher

DIS Veteran
I’m excited to be going to Oahu in August with my husband, parents and 2 daughters, 8 & 11. We’ll be staying in Waikiki for the first week and then a week at Aulani. A few questions:

Should we do the character breakfast and dinner? Or just one?

Suggestions on where to eat when at Aulani?

My kids love the clubs at WDW and DCL. I heard it’s hard to get in to Auntie Anne’s? Any tips?

Is the luau at Aulani worth it or should we try a different one?

The Polynesian cultural center (north shore) has a very nice luau with lots of extra activities for the kids. You could spend a couple days there. There's a large luau within walking distance of aulani that is rated highly.

The Disney luau when free was pretty good including Disney characters. As a paid event it has to be pretty good. Maybe do that instead of the breakfast. It was closed the last time were there because of weather.

There are some good food options across the street from Aulani that cost less. You can also drive 10 minutes to the town next door for many reasonable options.

During the day there are a few onsite eating places that are good and the shave ice is a must.

Try out surfing lessons in Waikiki. The kids should take to it easily and it a great photo on the Christmas card.

This isn't my thread, but I'd love to piggy-back into it. I'm planning on going next March. I didn't see a full "what to know" type of thread back here. I may have missed it, but I'd love to know more about exactly a) what Disney offers on-site, and b) what the island itself has that is worth the trip.

Or if I'm missing this thread...just point me in the right direction. ;-)

Aulani Acitivites are laid out pretty well @ https://www.disneyaulani.com/activities/

Our favorite North Shore restaurants:
Awesome Snorkel on the right day (North Shore)
  • Sharks Cove - http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/snorkeling-sharks-cove.html
    • Park in lot by the restroom. Often times there’s a guy selling T-Shirts right there that are nice as well. Enter to the left of the restrooms (beach side) as the other side if very rocky. Having water shoes/socks to walk in helps before you layout for snorkeling. Great snorkel for all ages. The first time out my wife and I got to hang out with a 6 ft eagle ray that was trapped in the cove. If the waves are going over the walls it’s not a good time to go. If the tide is too low and people have churned up the water, it’s not a good time to go. After high tide when the water is clean and receding is a great time.
  • Electric Beach (West Shore) - http://www.livingoceanscuba.com/electric-beach-snorkeling/
    • Just North of Aulani
    • Lot’s of fish. Fun to body surf in the waves. Easy place to collect broken off coral to take home (pushed in by waves). Depending on waves it can be tough for younger kids to get through waves and then out to the spot where the fish are attracted to the warm water releasing from the electric plant pipe.
Sunsets (North Shore)
  • Sunset Beach
  • Pipeline
Hike and dip
Have fun!!!

This isn't my thread, but I'd love to piggy-back into it. I'm planning on going next March. I didn't see a full "what to know" type of thread back here. I may have missed it, but I'd love to know more about exactly a) what Disney offers on-site, and b) what the island itself has that is worth the trip.

Or if I'm missing this thread...just point me in the right direction. ;-)
I’ll be staying a week in Waikiki before Aulani, so I’m hoping to do most of our touristy things then. This is what I have planned:
Waikiki Beach - Outrigger Canoe ride
Hanauma Bay (snorkel)
Free hula lesson at the Royal Hawaiian Center
Waikiki Aquarium
Free hula show @ Kuhio Beach - Tues nights at 6pm
Jungle Expedition Tour at Kualoa Ranch
Tropical Farms Macadamia Nut Farm
Scenic drive to Kailua Beach
Diamond Head
Glass Bottom Boat
Fireworks at Hilton Hawaiian Village - Friday’s at 7:45pm
Pearl Harbor
Free Hula Show at the Royal Hawaiian Center
Hawaii Duck Tour
Hawaiian Railroad
(Check into Aulani...)
Character breakfast
North Shore - Dole Plantation, Haleiwa, Waimea Falls, Laniakia Beach
Aloha Stadium Swap Meet
Kawa’a Luau

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter