Help! Considering buying BLT 75 points direct

Hmm... the guide we met on our DVC tour in Aulani emailed back:

"I did the research for the Bay Lake Tower…. there is a wait list and then we’re notified when your name/ turn comes up. However, once you went back to Australia , Disney Vacation Club cannot do business from your country."

Might this be the Aulani department only? I can't see why DVC wouldn't try very hard to wrangle the laws to make it possible to sell to international buyers (Australia)

DVC is not licensed to sell everywhere. I haven't heard about Australia but that may be the case. For example when PVB first went on sale they didn't have their licensing in many of the states here. And they haven't maintained the licensing for many of the older resorts in a lot of places.

I would wait and learn the system first, experience the resorts, then decide where to buy. Do you really want a 2nd MK resort and not a Epcot/DHS resort?

:earsboy: Bill

We love the idea of an epcot/dhs area resort! But BWV and BCV are the two most expensive home resorts (short expiry + dues) so we're not considering them.

Not excited about Riviera at all. Recycling land from a moderate resort sounds like a cash in… A stand alone dvc can't have access to as many amenities as the ones attached to a deluxe resort. And it doesn't sound like one could walk to the 2 parks either.

Dvc doesn't seem to want to take my money anyway... They'll probably exercise rofr too. Sigh

Edited: Called DVC number direct - CM are definitely not allowed to even give me any information about the membership! There goes that idea. No easy points magically arriving in 5 hours...

Last edited:
Edited: Called DVC number direct - CM are definitely not allowed to even give me any information about the membership! There goes that idea. No easy points magically arriving in 5 hours...

What kind of information were you trying to gather?

I can tell you that I’ve been on the WL for direct BLT points for 6 weeks for a June UY, and I’ve heard nothing. My guide even told me that more than likely it would be after June 1st which means I will be passing if/when they become available. What she didn’t say was that this is because they don’t have to provide 2017 points if that’s the case. Getting “2 years” worth of points is great, but it seems to be happening less than it was before. If I buy anytime before June 1st, they have to provide the June 217 points as well. If I buy June 1st or later, they only have to provide the June 2018 points and onward. Yes, it does still happen, but they’re waiting until the beginning of the UY more and more so they don’t have to do it.

I only caution you against a 75 point BLT add-on as those points won’t go very far there. Standard studios book up crazy fast there! We have 200 points and are already adding on to those. You do live far away and won’t come as often, but make sure you will have enough points when you purchase because those closing costs are a killer. Also, the price per point keeps going up, so it’s only getting more expensive to add on too.

We own at VGF and BLT, and there’s nothing wrong with owning 2 MK resorts! Good luck!

We're currently waiting for ROFR on a PVB contract. I knew being patient was going to be difficult and it's worse than I expected! We want to book in January so I want points now :sad:

The plan was to purchase a total of 300-400 points spread between BLT and PVB. I've been looking for a BLT Dec resale for about a month with no luck. Current resale pricing seems crazy to me.

The smallish cost difference ($140 resale vs $191 direct) makes me think it might not be a bad idea to just purchase 75 points direct. It saves time, gives us access to misc "extras", saves frustration... What do you think, DVC veterans? All thoughts welcome, thanks in advance!
Rushing to get that next reservation is always a bad idea IMO. It may be that 75 BLT points is a good choice for you but it really doesn't sound like it is. But IF 75 BLT points will give you enough long term, maybe it's not a horrible choice. It sounds like you're new to DVC so I'd get the Poly done then make a trip or 2 and see how it goes.

Also, the price per point keeps going up, so it’s only getting more expensive to add on too.

Out of curiosity, I looked at current BLT resale asking prices. One was listed at $170 a point! I agree that if you are already going 75 direct, doing something like 100 might make as much, if not more, sense.

What kind of information were you trying to gather?

I can tell you that I’ve been on the WL for direct BLT points for 6 weeks for a June UY, and I’ve heard nothing. My guide even told me that more than likely it would be after June 1st which means I will be passing if/when they become available. What she didn’t say was that this is because they don’t have to provide 2017 points if that’s the case. Getting “2 years” worth of points is great, but it seems to be happening less than it was before. If I buy anytime before June 1st, they have to provide the June 217 points as well. If I buy June 1st or later, they only have to provide the June 2018 points and onward. Yes, it does still happen, but they’re waiting until the beginning of the UY more and more so they don’t have to do it.

I only caution you against a 75 point BLT add-on as those points won’t go very far there. Standard studios book up crazy fast there! We have 200 points and are already adding on to those. You do live far away and won’t come as often, but make sure you will have enough points when you purchase because those closing costs are a killer. Also, the price per point keeps going up, so it’s only getting more expensive to add on too.

We own at VGF and BLT, and there’s nothing wrong with owning 2 MK resorts! Good luck!

I was hoping to put my name down on the WL for Dec points. The cast member I talked to had to ask his supervisor, then came back and said definitively: no, I can't sell it to you, can't put you on the wait list so you can complete the purchase when you come to wdw, can't even be talking to you and even giving any information right now. The laws don't allow it.

Thanks again everyone. It's great having professionals to bounce ideas with! Yeah, buying a small amount of points direct was mostly just me caving like a deck of cards. Dvc didn't even have to do anything but make me wait.

We fly to the West coast a lot for work (have had 3 AP's). Always avoided the "time share booths" like the plague until we decided to fly the extra 5 hours for wdw on future trips. After we resisted impulse buying aulani points at Aulani, I figured everything else was a bonus from there.

I was hoping to put my name down on the WL for Dec points. The cast member I talked to had to ask his supervisor, then came back and said definitively: no, I can't sell it to you, can't put you on the wait list so you can complete the purchase when you come to wdw, can't even be talking to you and even giving any information right now. The laws don't allow it.

Thanks again everyone. It's great having professionals to bounce ideas with! Yeah, buying a small amount of points direct was mostly just me caving like a deck of cards. Dvc didn't even have to do anything but make me wait.

We fly to the West coast a lot for work (have had 3 AP's). Always avoided the "time share booths" like the plague until we decided to fly the extra 5 hours for wdw on future trips. After we resisted impulse buying aulani points at Aulani, I figured everything else was a bonus from there.

That makes sense about they can’t talk to you if they aren't licensed to sell there.

I know it’s frustrating when they take your contracts via ROFR, but they can’t take them all! Just keep trying and one will get through. They’ve taken 4 of mine. I don’t like it, but I’m still saving a boatload compared to buying direct. Patience is key in this process. Just rent some points for a trip, and then that urge to buy for a trip won’t be there. Once you get your points, you’ll have that many more freed up to book an additional trip or a longer trip!

Last edited:
I know it’s frustrating when they take your contracts via ROFR, but they can’t take them all! Just keep trying and one will get through. They’ve taken 4 of mine. I don’t like it, but I’m still saving a boatload compared to buying direct. Patience is key in this process. Just rent some points for a trip, and then that urge to buy for a trip won’t be there. Once you get your points, you’ll have that many more freed up to book an additional trip or a longer trip!

One thing I've always found fascinating about the lack of patience when it comes to resale DVC points is that people are impatient about buying into a system whose central premise is patience! If you can't wait two to three months for the resale process how will you feel about waiting 7-11 months for your DVC trip?

One thing I've always found fascinating about the lack of patience when it comes to resale DVC points is that people are impatient about buying into a system whose central premise is patience! If you can't wait two to three months for the resale process how will you feel about waiting 7-11 months for your DVC trip?

We are a "want it now" society, that is why Amazon Prime is so popular and why DVC buyers are willing to buy direct and pay thousands more, just because they want it now. Disney knows this, so the place where we want to spend our money going on vacations deliberately takes contracts through ROFR and the contracts they don't want, they make you wait for a couple of months and charge you a fee to verify the contract.

:earsboy: Bill

I think there are a couple of parts to it - one is waiting for the contract to close, which I'm okay with since buying most of our points resale saved us a ton, plus it's a passive phase that doesn't involve additional work on my end. The other part, which involves checking your email and the various sites constantly to see if they have a listing you want and making offers/counteroffers, took a significant amount of time for me and I didn't want to spend too much more time on it if I could help it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter