HELP choosing dinner buffet

Calee

DIS Veteran
I have 3 teen boys-oldest is 16 and wants to go to a dinner buffet. Years ago we went to Trails End when it was a buffet and that was probably our favorite. My kids like that kind of food-Fried Chicken, ribs, Mac and Cheese, etc. A dinner buffet for 5 adults is going to be a stretch financially but its the only thing my oldest has asked to do so I really want to make it happen BUT I'm having a hard time deciding where. I want the food to be something they'll like and eat! Characters not needed (though I now know very few buffets are without characters).

We've done most of the character meals but some were years ago and some were breakfast, so I'm not sure where to go. We are going to all 4 parks-we do also have a break day so part of me would rather do the buffet at a resort that day instead of wasting park time on it.

I've read the menus, but with the buffets I feel like those menus don't tell the whole story. So anyone who has gone to dinner buffets recently-can you help me!?

ETA: IF there is an off site buffet I'd be willing to consider it.

Last edited:
If you are looking for fried chicken, mac and cheese, ribs, etc., maybe just consider going back to Trail's End? It's not a buffet anymore but they have all you are looking for for a decent price. We just went in March and it was very good.

You could also consider Woody's Round Up or Whispering Canyon (for the skillets) for the type of food you son is looking for. We prefer Whispering Canyon as I found Woody's to be sensory overload. Your other non-character buffets may not offer the food he is looking for (Cape May, Boma). I, personally, would not go to a character buffet for the type of meal you are looking for - food is mediocre and you will pay the upcharge for the characters.

For the most part Boma does not have what we consider traditional food. There are African type foods and are not for my palate, although i just went last week because my DH enjoys it. I have had 2 teenage boys and I can relate to what they enjoy most. Can't think of any of their buffets that meet that criteria. We sure miss Trails end buffet - our favorite!
Like @Marthasor mentioned above, the skillet at Whispering Canyon would probably come the closest to what you are looking for and it's all you care to eat.

For the most part Boma does not have what we consider traditional food. There are African type foods and are not for my palate, although i just went last week because my DH enjoys it. I have had 2 teenage boys and I can relate to what they enjoy most. Can't think of any of their buffets that meet that criteria. We sure miss Trails end buffet - our favorite!
Like @Marthasor mentioned above, the skillet at Whispering Canyon would probably come the closest to what you are looking for and it's all you care to eat.
Ugh me too. My husband has said pretty much every day of planning this trip, "Why is Trails End not a buffet anymore??"

How about Hoop Dee Doo? Not a traditional buffet but it is all you care to enjoy, they bring the food to your table. They use the same kitchen and many of the same recipes as they did at Trail's End buffet, so if you loved the food at Trail's End you will love the food at Hoop Dee Doo as well! Fried chicken, ribs and mac and cheese are all on the menu. It is a bit more expensive than other buffets on property but also includes the show.

I'm looking at Whispering Canyon and I'm bummed that they don't have more non skillet options. I feel like they used to! My husband and oldest could eat enough to make a skillet worth it but I'd rather get individual entrees for the rest of us. I hated when they changed Liberty Tree lunch the same way.

I too would vote for hoop Dee Doo, don’t let the boys think they won’t enjoy it, they will - it is hilarious. Another with the food you like is Crystal Palace, does have characters but hey it’s Pooh and tigger the boys can relive babyhood 😀

If you are looking for fried chicken, mac and cheese, ribs, etc., maybe just consider going back to Trail's End? It's not a buffet anymore but they have all you are looking for for a decent price. We just went in March and it was very good.

You could also consider Woody's Round Up or Whispering Canyon (for the skillets) for the type of food you son is looking for. We prefer Whispering Canyon as I found Woody's to be sensory overload. Your other non-character buffets may not offer the food he is looking for (Cape May, Boma). I, personally, would not go to a character buffet for the type of meal you are looking for - food is mediocre and you will pay the upcharge for the characters.
Did both a few weeks ago and prefer the food at Woodys. Much better all around. Of course more fun vibe at WC. I love Wilderness Lodge too so the theming is great all around but yes as far as just food then Woody's wins for me hands down.

Boma! Best buffet on property.

Even though Trails End is not a buffet anymore, the family meals give a nice variety and plenty of food.

We like your kids kind of food as well. More traditional American but maybe with some added flair. And we only do dinners.

We always enjoy Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom. Winnie the Pooh characters are back.

We are also trying 1900 Park Fair at the Grand Floridian. We ate there years ago but then it closed. It has characters as well.

I know characters aren’t a must and they are not a must for us either but here is my 18 year old sons at Crystal Palace several years ago. Some of my favorite photos

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0193.jpeg
    IMG_0193.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
I would do Hoop Dee Doo. It has the food they like, beer and wine for the parents, and good entertainment.

While not a buffet I would look at Woodys if in HS. We ate there on our last trip and it has many of things it sounds like your kids would like. We havent been there in years but Crystal palace might have some things if you are in MK. Whispering Canyon may also be a good bet but also not a buffet.

I'm looking at Whispering Canyon and I'm bummed that they don't have more non skillet options. I feel like they used to! My husband and oldest could eat enough to make a skillet worth it but I'd rather get individual entrees for the rest of us. I hated when they changed Liberty Tree lunch the same way.
I was going to suggest Whispering Canyon. You could do the Breakfast/lunch as well. You could all order different Skillets pick and choose what you like and get more of those items so long as you all ordered skillets. Those that do not cannot eat from them. The price although is very reasonable. Make sure to add on some for drinks as they are not included but even with 30 a person is still very inexpensive these days. You do need to make an ADR as it is popular these days. The downfall is only until 2pm if you are set on dinner times.

Ff you've never been to Sebastian's Bistro at the Carribean Beach Resort I highly recommend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter