• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Help......A Wrinkle in Our Plans!

DJBounce

DIS Veteran
Need some help....my in-laws who were going to join us at WDW for three days(in two weeks) had to cancel their trip to Florida. We had them put up at ASMo, and we had arranged for the Fairy Godmothers to watch our kids one night including our 5y.o. daughter Tiffani, who has CP. We ourselves are staying in a tent at FW (doing the camping thing you know). Is there any child care facilities (like The Cubs Den at WL) that will take children with special needs. Tiffani is extremely low maintenace, a sweet little girl that sits on the sidelines while her older and younger brothers become the wild ones. HA HA HA.
Any help or input will be greatly appreciated as usual. We leave a week from Saturday. WOO-HOOO!

DrewJ
Roughly the size of a barge

They will take kids with special needs, they will not do nursing duties or change diapers. You should call them and ask, but I think that it should be OK. The Fairy Godmothers are excellent, sorry that you won't be able to use their service.

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Hi DrewJ!

I just had to comment - I really hope you find a way to still get help. We all know how much appreciated and how needed and how much fun an adult night out can be.

Anyway - I had to laugh at your description of your daughter. That is exactly the same as it is in our family!! Our DS is usually such an angel - it's the walking/talking/fighting DDs that can be the nightmare!!!

Good luck and have a wonderful time!
Sue

dps.jpg

I agree with teri and SueOKW. Tell them what specifically your dd's needs are and how her siblings can help if they are also attending (like if she's non-verbal, can they translate, etc.) My dd has never used the child care at WDW (although I would like to send her RIGHT NOW - she deleted the internet preferences from the computer somehow and is whining in my ear as I type), but she was in a regular day care center with no special staffing until she was almost 8 yrs old. So, if you can tell them what you need (and it doesn't include diapers) they can probably help.c

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

UPDATE: I called Cub's Den at WL. They pretty much refused to take her due to only 2 staff members. They said I could only bring her if we were staying at the resort and could be available immediately. So, I called the Neverland Club. I explained the situation to them. They said they would be able to take her. However, Tiffani still drinks from a bottle (or else she would have to have a g-tube - can't drink out of a cup or any other assistive device we have tried) and they said they wouldn't be able to give her a bottle, even if I have it all ready for them. She doesn't eat regular food, only Pediasure. So, I guess a night out just isn't going to work this time. We will probably still send her brothers one night for our own sanity, plus it does sound like fun for them.

This won't help for Disney - but - our DS used a bottle for a long time too...

School discovered that he does really well with those plastic cups where the liquid actually pours out the handle. The stream of liquid is very thin and easy to control. They are in our grocery store by the bowls that have a little straw. Not made by Rubbermaid, but that kind of stuff.

Anyway- we use those cups almost exclusively now -and Kevin does great with them. If you can't find what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll get one for you. It was a huge step forward for us.
Sue

dps.jpg

Sue -
Thank you so much for your suggestion. I think I know what cups you are talking about. It is something we haven't tried yet! I will be heading out to go shopping to find these cups! I really hope they work for Tiffani, too.

Darcey

Please let me know if this works for you - give it some time. You can start out literally with a few drops at a time. My DH and I are really pulling for you!

If you can't find them, let me know, our store keeps plenty in stock!
Sue

dps.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter