Haylie's MAW/GKTW Trip in Feb. 2011

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I just wanted to share with everyone how Haylie's surgery in NYC went last week. The surgery itself was very successful. :banana: Later the next night, she started projectile vomiting so she had to have an emergency CT scan to rule out any strokes or hemmorages. Thank God, nothing was found. She continued to vomit until Saturday, but by Saturday afternoon, the vomiting ceased. We were discharged on Sunday morning and she continues to have terrible headaches as her entire brain is revascularizing after the surgery. We are giving her Tylenol with Codeine and that seems to help a little. I wish I could trade places with her and endure everything she has to go thru. I would gladly do it if I could. Seeing her in so much pain is excrutiatingly painful.

Please continue to pray that her pain subsides quickly. I appreciate everyone's kind words.

Thank you, Lisa

I will keep Haylie in my prayers.:hug:

Deep breath......

I have never traveled to Universal or SeaWorld in Feb. only the summer. But, when we were at Universal this past August, we did see a fair number of kids with GKTW buttons on and when we were in line to meet Dora, we overheard a family comment on what a great job Universal was doing and how Disney could really learn from them on how to treat their GKTW visitors. Not Dissing Disney, but it seems like Universal does a great job with this so maybe they would be good to visit at the beginning of the week. :confused3

Universal doesn't see one tenth of the special needs traffic that Disney does, so of course they can 'handle' it better. Most Universal attractions (huge roller coasters, etc) would not be appropriate for fragile MAW children, so many families don't even go there.

Universal doesn't see one tenth of the special needs traffic that Disney does, so of course they can 'handle' it better. Most Universal attractions (huge roller coasters, etc) would not be appropriate for fragile MAW children, so many families don't even go there.

This makes sense. The GKTW children that we saw were all in character lines. (Dora, Shrek, Madagascar, Simpsons) Just trying to reassure the OP that things at Universal will hopefully go well since she is traveling during a busy week. As you mention, there is not as much info. out there for families traveling to Universal, but those that did (at least during our vacation) had positive things to say.:goodvibes

Not Dissing Disney, but it seems like Universal does a great job
And so does Disney. Disney by far is the largest contributor both in park admissions and volunteer programs at GKTW. As a ten year GKTW volunteer, I see dozens of Disney CMs every time I'm at the GKTW Village doing a great job with the kids. The word World in Give Kids the World, is not referring to Universal Studios. Disney's fingerprints all over GKTW. I don't know what that mom you overheard was talking about, but Disney takes a back seat to no one.

Kailatilear, I would LOVE to meet!!!! My oldest daughter is 8, so I think she would get along with Abby perfectly!!! Let's definitely plan to meet that week!!!!!:banana::banana::banana:

Also, Haylie will be having another surgery in NYC on Thursday of this week (Dec. 2, 2010), so please keep her in your prayers on that day.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa :cutie:

Great, we will have to get more details when it gets closer:thumbsup2.

Keeping Haylie in our prayers.:hug:

And so does Disney. Disney by far is the largest contributor both in park admissions and volunteer programs at GKTW. As a ten year GKTW volunteer, I see dozens of Disney CMs every time I'm at the GKTW Village doing a great job with the kids. The word World in Give Kids the World, is not referring to Universal Studios. Disney's fingerprints all over GKTW. I don't know what that mom you overheard was talking about, but Disney takes a back seat to no one.

I agree! I've been going to Disney regularly since 1976 and Universal since 2010.:rotfl: I am definitely a big Disney fan. I just reread my original post and realized it did not come off as intended. Sorry for any confusion!:eek:

Just wanted to let you know I was reading along, and this is for you and your family!:hug: I hope the trip is absolutely the "best"!!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. With Haylie's surgery and complications, not to mention Christmas, I have been crazy busy! Good news is that it's all over now and it's time to start planning, planning, planning. We've decided to go to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Seaworld the first part of the week as it's President's Day week, so it looks like the Disney parks will be a little less crowded towards the end of the week.

Anywhoo, is there any "must dos" at Universal or Seaworld. I don't know too much about those parks, so any advice is appreciated. Please keep in mind that my 8 year old LOVES roller coasters, but Haylie cannot ride anything with any g-force.

Can't wait to hear from everyone!!! :cool1:

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. With Haylie's surgery and complications, not to mention Christmas, I have been crazy busy! Good news is that it's all over now and it's time to start planning, planning, planning. We've decided to go to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Seaworld the first part of the week as it's President's Day week, so it looks like the Disney parks will be a little less crowded towards the end of the week.

Anywhoo, is there any "must dos" at Universal or Seaworld. I don't know too much about those parks, so any advice is appreciated. Please keep in mind that my 8 year old LOVES roller coasters, but Haylie cannot ride anything with any g-force.

Can't wait to hear from everyone!!! :cool1:

For your 8 year old: At IOA: My DD7 loved Spiderman, Flight of the Hippogriff, Storm Force (like the teacups) and the Cat in the Hat. (Haylie may be able to do Cat in the Hat, but it does whip you around a little.) Forbidden Journey is also one your 8 year old might like if she likes rides like Dinosaur.
Remember - you can tour the castle without riding the ride - that might be fun for everyone.

For everyone - The character greeting in Suess Landing is good for little ones: Cat in the Hat, Things 1 &2, The Grinch etc... Also, I highly recommend you share a frozen butterbeer in the WWOHP. Be sure to check out the shops in WWOHP either early or late because they can become unbearably crowded.

Universal Studios - The Studios are great if they like characters. We saw Scooby, Shaggy, Man in the Yellow Hat, Curious George, Woody Woodpecker, Sponge Bob, Dora, Penguins of Madagascar, Simpsons, Donkey, Fiona and a few others.
My DD7 loved MIB (kind of like Buzz Lightyear), Simpsons (simulator) and Jimmy Neutron. (simulator). Not sure if Haylie would be able to do those.

Seaworld - We loved the Dolphin Show and the Sea Lion Show. DD7 liked the Pets Ahoy show the best; your girls might like that. It's a really cute show with rescued dogs, cats and other small animals. If you DD8 is tall enough, Manta is an amazing coaster. If not Journey to Atlantis is fun (kind of like Splash Mountain, but with a scarier theme.) We also liked the penguins and the aquarium type exhibits. Your girls also might enjoy feeding some of the animals like the dolphins or the seals.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of the rides. We've tried most of them. :goodvibes

Hello Everyone! We are starting the countdown for our trip and can't wait! I have our days pretty much figured out, but I do have a couple questions.

1. Is the Sharks Underwater Grill at Seaworld worth making reservations for?

2. For anyone that's had MAW throw a going away party to celebrate with friends and family, what usually happens?

Thanks for advice!

:banana::banana::banana:

Does anyone have any reccomendations for good restaurants at SeaWorld and Universal?

TIA!!!! :cool1:

If you are looking for a sit down meal, Mythos, at Islands of Adventure is consistently voted best theme park meal in Orlando. We didn't try it, because we were staying club level but it consistently gets the best reviews over on the Universal board. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter