Have you looked at your school records?

Have you ever looked at your school records?

• Total voters
I believe the former student is the only one who can access their record.

If that is true, then even if they do exist, seems rather pointless. I don't really care what some former teacher might have said about me or some opinion they had. In h.s. or even college, I can recall a few teachers who formed their opinion about students based on whether or not they thought/acted like thought you should. Your grade depended on having the same opinions they did which seemed like nonsense to me. Fortunately, most teachers didn't behave that way.

A future employer usually checks on someone's resume to verify they actually attended/graduated from that school. Sounds like they wouldn't have access to those other records.

I graduated from HS in 1980. I took a vocational drafting class for 3 hours every morning of my junior and senior years. I had a job at a local architectural firm inking brochures for a home builder in the evenings 3 months before I graduated. Every job I’ve had since has been by word of mouth. Never went to college, Never had a resume. I have absolutely zero interest in those old records.
I wasn’t a straight A student, but I prided myself on always attending class from K-12.
As some say, half the battle is just showing up…!!! 😉

If that is true, then even if they do exist, seems rather pointless. I don't really care what some former teacher might have said about me or some opinion they had. In h.s. or even college, I can recall a few teachers who formed their opinion about students based on whether or not they thought/acted like thought you should. Your grade depended on having the same opinions they did which seemed like nonsense to me. Fortunately, most teachers didn't behave that way.

A future employer usually checks on someone's resume to verify they actually attended/graduated from that school. Sounds like they wouldn't have access to those other records.
As others have confirmed, those records do exist, and are legally required to be kept. I clearly don't care enough to do anything since it would be so easy for me to access them.

Like others, I sort of assumed this was a not real thing. I did get access to an application I submitted for a summer program (a couple of years after doing it). It was fascinating to see my responses from a somewhat different perspective. I'd be curious about some of my record - I've only just learned that I should've been eligible for a bunch of assistance due to experiencing homelessness as a youth but I didn't receive those things. I wonder if it was noted that I was a McKinney Vento student or not.

The grade school I attended closed a couple years after I had moved on to high school. My mom was given our cumulative folders. I’m not sure if I still have mine.

A close friend of mine has guardianship of her adult sister since their mother died. She was trying to get her into a day program of some sort. They needed proof she was handicapped before adulthood. She is now in her 50s. My friend called the school system. They said they don’t keep records that long.

Never had the need or interest in seeing them. I don’t think we had teacher’s comments on report cards past elementary school. We got letter grades up through 6th grade, then in Junior High and HS, it was just quarterly numerical grades, plus final exam or state exam grades. Out of curiosity, I looked at my state’s Dept of Education website and it says student permanent records are maintained for 20 years. So mine are long gone.

I never thought about it. I think I have a few old report cards and things, but that's it.

I remember when I started College several of my classmates had made appointments to review their permanent records, so were not happy with what their teachers had said.
Wait, does this mean that a college can request the records of students to read how they behaved in kindergarten?
No such thing as privacy?

Wait, does this mean that a college can request the records of students to read how they behaved in kindergarten?
Colleges don't look at grades or any records of students before they enter high school. they don't care what you did in kindergarten or even 7th grade. You send colleges your transcripts, not your personal files schools may have kept. Colleges may look at discipline records but would only be concerned for expulsions or suspensions.

Records will be kept longer for exceptional students, including records of items that needed to be purchased by the district to best meet the needs of the student. This is both for gifted students and for students with special needs.

These requirements will vary by state.

At least here in California, only the student, parent or guardian can look at the student file beyond transcripts.

What are transcripts? Is it a list of your grades?
And does the college need your permission to request information about your discipline records from your high school, can they do this without you knowing?

Sorry for all the questions. In my country to go to college, for most studies, you only need to prove that you did graduate highschool. You need to present your grades or which subjects only for certain studies, like when you want to become a doctor for example.

Colleges would never get access to anything from high school, unless the student gives it to them.

What are transcripts? Is it a list of your grades?
And does the college need your permission to request information about your discipline records from your high school, can they do this without you knowing?

Sorry for all the questions. In my country to go to college, for most studies, you only need to prove that you did graduate highschool. You need to present your grades or which subjects only for certain studies, like when you want to become a doctor for example.

Colleges would never get access to anything from high school, unless the student gives it to them.
Here in the US when you apply for college they ask you to have your transcript from high school sent. The only thing that is sent is your grades and classes, along with GPA and class ranking. Colleges will only look at your discipline records if the high school provides them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter