Have you ever attached a note to a balloon and released it into the air?

No. I hate the whole balloon release thing. Just send up plastic pollution into the air, and not care where it lands? No.

And don't get me started on those stupid burning lanterns. One landed on a church near me last year, and burned the church down.

Nope. Maybe, I'll put it on my to do list for later today. :rolleyes1
I'll be sure to include my email/phone number, so I'll get a response. :rolleyes:

I remember doing this at school in 2nd or 3rd grade (mid '80s). I never got a response and was so jealous of the kids who did. One boy got a letter from a town about 100 miles away!

No. I hate the whole balloon release thing. Just send up plastic pollution into the air, and not care where it lands? No.

And don't get me started on those stupid burning lanterns. One landed on a church near me last year, and burned the church down.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Every time they do a memorial and send hundreds of "messages to heaven" for their lost loved one attached to balloons, I can't help but think there must be a better way to honor their memory that doesn't involve causing an environmental hazard.

Only as a kid, back before it was widely recognized that balloon releases are extremely hazardous to wildlife. I would never participate in one now, and I haven't hesitated to tell people considering one how dangerous they are for the environment.

Yes, I did this when my dad died 5 years ago. Both of my daughters wrote a note and attached it to the balloon......then we launched it to heaven so their papa could read how much they loved and missed him.

Only as a kid, back before it was widely recognized that balloon releases are extremely hazardous to wildlife. I would never participate in one now, and I haven't hesitated to tell people considering one how dangerous they are for the environment.

Yes, back in 6th grade the science-teaching nun had us release balloons. This was in the early days of the Save the Environment Movement, but balloons weren't recognized as a hazard yet.

Balloons were released in Philadelphia. I was one of about 4 who received responses. My response was from some small town in Nova Scotia, Canada.

No, I've never done it myself but we have found a few of them in our fields. If there is a note attached to them I do respond. Our DD and SIL had a balloon release for their wedding. They knew rice was hard on the birds so chose to do a balloon release. This must have been before it was determined that balloons were hazardous to wildlife as I know they would not have done it had they known. It was almost 16 years ago that they got married. I have to admit I did think it was a beautiful sight seeing 300 people lining the walk outside the church holding balloons and releasing them all at the same time, and remembering how disappointed I was that the professional videographer didn't film that part. :(

I remember doing this at school in 2nd or 3rd grade (mid '80s). I never got a response and was so jealous of the kids who did. One boy got a letter from a town about 100 miles away!

Same here. Once at school in the mid-'80s. I think I was in K or 1st grade..... I remember there being a map by the offices with thumbtacks to mark the replies. I never got a reply from mine either. I don't remember how far away any of the replies were.

sailorstitch

I used to think it was a cool idea, but no longer do. A couple of years ago we took a boat to Catalina Island and saw over 20 balloons floating in the ocean. If they would land on land and be picked up I wouldn't have an issue with it, but in my opinion they are harmful to the environment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter