Have the Love Bugs Arrived Yet??

Headed there this week and never gone in May…however have heard horror stories about these things…anyone there now or live in the area who can tell me if they’ve descended yet and if so, how thick are they?
Thanks!
Yes unfortunately. They wouldn’t leave us alone while at CSR pool the other day. They were all around the pool deck. Gross.

a couple of years ago they were soooo bad, but mostly just at the Swan pool. We went and bought a different suntan lotion and that helped.

We had driven up from Miami after our Disney cruise and basically couldn't see out the windshield by the time we arrived. :crazy: :crazy:

Living in Texas, we get them every year. Have never thought of them as bothersome to people though, just to vehicles after driving through them.

I guess it depends on where you are. I was in Mt. Dora last weekend (slightly North of Orlando) and they were horrible.

Does repellent keep them away? (I know they don't bite, right?)
They don’t bite, they don’t carry diseases. They’re just an annoyance, more or less floating in the air - they’re not even flying in any particular direction. You can just wave them away from you. And wash them off your car before they stain it.

Does repellent keep them away? (I know they don't bite, right?)

Repellent does not keep them away. They’re attracted to white and carbon dioxide. They don’t bite, just annoying as hell.

Where I live in the Sarasota area this has been the lightest love bug season that I can remember. Normally my car is plastered in them. This year not so much.

Uugh, September of 19, like the last week of Sept, was SO bad.😱 Hoping this Sept
is not as bad!

By the time people get bored with this thread they'll be gone LOL! I'm about 30 minutes west of the parks and it really is based on location. If they were bad at Disney a week ago, they should be on the downward trend by now. They're around about two weeks. Of course they ramp up slow, a few here and there to being heavy then back down to a few here and there. Then done till September.

Pretty sure these are the same bug that we called boxelder bugs in the Midwest when I was growing up.

From the stories, also seems like the same kind of pest as the Spotted Lanternfly that we're dealing with in the NE. Not harmful to humans but super annoying.

I have seen maybe 3 or 4. I come often at the end of April thru middle of May. This year has been great with no problems at all. Been here since 4/27 and leaving 5/12.
So you said this year has been great...have you experienced other years at this time that were not great

Pretty sure these are the same bug that we called boxelder bugs in the Midwest when I was growing up.

From the stories, also seems like the same kind of pest as the Spotted Lanternfly that we're dealing with in the NE. Not harmful to humans but super annoying.
Just looked up the boxelder bug. Different critter. Lovebugs are pretty much a southern thing.

Hi,

Now that we are in mid May, what is the Love Bug situation at the resorts and parks? We are planning a trip in May, around this time of the month,. It will be the first for my granddaughter, and we are a little concerned that the experience could be diminished by them being all over the place.

We have had that experience with Mayflies at Cedar Point in Ohio in June. They were everywhere and on everything! Like love bugs, they don't bite or sting. They just make a mess of everything and are tough to get off cars, etc.

Thanks for the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter