Has anyone had success doing this?

mickey12810

Mouseketeer
We have decided to include the DP with our trip in July (8-15). Last October when we did the dining we had made ressies for all our table service meals and I felt the vacation was too rigid. My question is Has anyone not made ressies for all your table service meals and called the day before to see what was available and what are the chances of getting a table service meal ressie? I figured that we could just take what was left. I don't have to eat at a certain time, but I was just curious. The other thing I might add is that there will probably be at least 4 of us if not maybe 8 for dinner. TIA

We did this on our may 04 trip. There was only 4 of us. We didn't have the dining plan. But I didn't make any ressies. When we got hungry popcorn:: I called dining. I called from the monorail, inside MK, and inside MGM. Make sure you tell them if you are on a cell phone.(they will take the number and call you back if you are disconnected). When we were on the monorail, I asked if there was anything available in the surrounding area. They checked Crystal Palace, Chef Mickeys and 1900 park fare. We settled on 1900 park fare cause we were pulling up to the GF. At MGM we were in line for Millionaire, and we were told they had a cancellation for 50s prime time in 15 minutes. (we started walking as the CM took our info)

We didn't really have a problem, wasn't too much of a wait. But then again the parks weren't overly crowded either. I want to say moderate crowds.
I would definately make any ressies to places that are very popular. Most resort restuarants don't fill up as quickly as the parks at lunch. (at least in our experiences)
The fact that you will be flexible will really be a plus too!

It was different though, cause I normally plan everything.
But we had a great time! :Pinkbounc

I would book the must do's to avoid disappointment. If you have no preferences then you should be able to call from the room and plan it the PM before or even in the AM. A few years back I was surprised at how long the one phone call took from the room, but that was not the norm. Last July the walk up wait at HBD was about an hour so I used the cell phone to call and was given an ADR for 10 minutes later--I went in and checked in and we were seated nearly right away.

we usually have ADRs in hand before we leave, however those are never etched in stone. Once we're there, we usually make changes depending on what we're doing that day, what we feel like, etc.

Just this last trip, on the last day we had ADR for Le Cellier that we made weeks ahead, but then realized no one wanted to go back into Epcot just to eat dinner there, so we called and got Trail's End ADR instead. Closer to the Trail's End ADR, we decided that we really didn't feel like waiting for the boat, so we ended up eating at Concourse Steakhouse instead on a walkup! How's that for change of mind?

We just got back from a week at BCV on the dining plan. We had ADR for some of our must-do meals for months. We didn't add the dining plan until the week before because it took me that long to convince my wife it was a good idea. Due to that, I had to scramble to add a few table service meals and we didn't always get our first choice since we waited that late.

We added Kona two days ahead of time (on check in day) and it turned out to be my favorite meal of the trip. I tried adding Coral Reef a week ahead of time and the only time they had available was 8:40 PM. I took it since I really wanted to try Coral Reef even though I knew it would cause us to miss Illuminations. It turned out to be my wife's favorite meal of the trip.

The only thing that didn't work out well was my attempt for an ADR for Concourse Steakhouse on Friday night. I waited until Wednesday to call and the only place they had available on the resort monorail loop that night (which is where we were going to be) was 1900 Park Fare. I took is since DD loves Cinderella, but I wasn't overwhelmed by the place. You can't beat the service we got there but there are better buffets for food on property.

We were at WDW from Saturday, 10/1 through Wednesday, 10/5 on the free dining plan. I was under the impression that attendance might have been up due to the rescheduling of trips because of the high hurricane activity last year.

I found that making ADR's for popular places even several weeks before our trip was VERY difficult. And on entering the MK, there were signs indicating that there were NO reservations available at sit-down restaurants in the park. At MGM, we overheard a man asking at Mama Melrose's how long a wait it would be if he didn't have an ADR....he was told they wouldn't be able to seat him at all without an ADR.

At Epcot, in Guest Relations, they had a board that indicated dining availability for each of the sit-down restaurants for lunch and dinner. Lunch wasn't so bad, but there was typically only one or two of the less popular restaurants with availability for dinner.

If you like eating at normal times at popular restaurants, particularly in the parks, I wouldn't count on much just winging it - at least during a time when free dining was available.

I agree that the rigidity is a strong downside to the whole WDW experience these days -- whether or not you've got the dining plan, the dining plan is going to affect your ability to eat when and where you're going to eat. And the switch from taking reservations from 90 to 180 days out may have made the situation worse. It was bad enough planning out where you'd-be-when 90 days in advance so you could book your dining, but 180 days is just ridiculous. Park hours, EMH schedules, etc, etc, can all change. UGH! And so much for last-minute trips! And with Southwest only taking reservations a couple of months in advance it makes the whole experience even more strenuous.

I think it really depends on where you want to eat. I wouldn't take the chance on somewhere like Le Celliers for waiting the day of. Our last trip in December, we tried to change a couple for the week and had NO luck at all. Like a PP said, I would for sure make the ones that you don't want to miss;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter