Hanidcapped Pathway

Talking Hands

<font color=purple><b>|,,|/</b> DEAF DISNEY LOVER<
Remember all the people who said that the people in ECV, wheelchairs and electric wheelchair should have a pathway for themselves so they aren't in the way of able-bodied guests and can't run over them. Well the put one in going into the Land. Very nice to go up as long as it isn't filled with people who are walkers. Geez you ask for us not to be in the walkway with you and then when Disney does what you ask you take over that too. Noticed that as well where they have a separate path down for wheelchairs to go down the ramp in Small World but there were quite a few people using it to exit the ride.

Oh I get mean - when I am trying to kept the wheelchair from running down the hill - I have a tendency to say " can't you read. Wheelchair!!!" so don't blame me if I hit your back - most of them will immediately get off the path at that time. :rotfl: :goodvibes

when I am going down spaceship earth area some of these nuts try to walk infront. Again I tell them you came in front of me don't blame me if I hit you.

they also move out of the way. :teeth:

I haven't been to IASM for a few years - what's the ramp all about? Is it because there are stairs there? Or does it lead to an accessible boat entry spot? Asking because my mom just can't do stairs. She can walk for miles (she'll outwalk me at WDW next month, I know it!) but she can't step up or down more than one or two steps. She doesn't want me to get a GAC for avoiding stairs, so I'm trying to feel out where all the steps are, and how to distribute them throughout the day.

The wheelchair area at the Land pavilion - is it just a lane for going into the LAnd, or does it get you up to the boats at a better angle? My mom is going to have to be helped into and out of any boat rides (by me, I know CMs can't) and if there is a chance that she could have an easier access into a boat, I'd really be thankful!

I believe the area they are talking about marked for wheelchairs at The Land is outside The Land. The Land pavillion is sort of perched on a hill and has 2 ramps (no stairs) going up to the main entrance. A part of one of the ramps is marked in yellow with a wheelchair symbol. It would seem that a person in a wheelchair could go up or down either side of the walkway but perhaps the problem would be those in wheelchairs going to fast on the way out (cause of the hill) and possibly hitting someone - so that is why they have a separate lane marked? Anyway - I don't think that has anything to do with access to the boat ride inside - perhaps someone else can help you with that!

For IASM I remember that the exit is a ramp and no stairs and has markings on the ramp with a wheelchair symbol. I can't remember if the regular entrance has any stairs or not - I think it is all ramp but perhaps not?

For IASM it is all ramp, both entrance and exit. However, the special boats designed for wheelchair (or no step) access are ramped for access only on the left side. Also, anyone who can transfer (and does so) cannot have their wc or ECV moved across the water.

Schmeck said:
I haven't been to IASM for a few years - what's the ramp all about? Is it because there are stairs there? Or does it lead to an accessible boat entry spot? Asking because my mom just can't do stairs. She can walk for miles (she'll outwalk me at WDW next month, I know it!) but she can't step up or down more than one or two steps. She doesn't want me to get a GAC for avoiding stairs, so I'm trying to feel out where all the steps are, and how to distribute them throughout the day.

Maybe your mom should rethink not getting the GAC. After all it is better to have it and be able to do more than it is to avoid attractions with stairs. She doesn't have to use it.
If you are not sure if the attraction has stairs you ask at the entrance. If there are stairs use the GAC if not, continue on.

the land has the elevators - so if the eschators aren't working - just go take her to the elevators.

Thank you, all of you! If this wasn't a special trip for my mom (it's her retirement present from us) I'd definitely get her to reconsider the GAC, but she's really determined not to get one. Perhaps after a day of difficulty, she'll reconsider, especially since her grandkids will want to have her with us on all the attractions!

The ramp at the outside of the Land - sounds like they've tried to give wheelchair users a bit of space to get some momentum going up the incline? Having pushed a student in a wheelchair up a rather steep ramp a few times last year, I know getting a 'running start' really helps! I'm willing to ask people to get out of the designated area if I see anyone in the way of a wheelchair there, so if you're at WDW from Aug 6-13, I'll be glad to gently point out to the unaware that they need to move!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter