Handling Special Needs Kids, Meltdowns in Sports

Can you talk to him about the fact that other kids might beat him in swimming but the main thing is for him to try to improve upon his own times?

That is a really good point. Yes, I did. Also, the coaches try to emphasize it too across the team with all the kids. Actually, at the meets, the kids are able to look at the times on a computer and tell how much they shaved off from their last meet. My son hasn't paid much attention to this yet, but at our next meet, I'll take him over to the computer and show him how he can track his times after his race.

We went to practice yesterday (our last for a couple weeks, as the team is taking a two week break) and that lady and her DD weren't there. :confused3 Maybe I scared them off with my :earseek: (really, that wasn't my intention). They'll probably be back after break ;)

I did meet a sweet little boy yesterday that started with our team not too long ago. He's in my son's age group. He's very observant about my son and really seems to be concerned for DS and helpful with him. They swam together quite a bit at practice yesterday. I never had to even say anything about the Autism. This kid seems to be one of those kids that is perceptive and caring about others. That was pretty neat. Made my day :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter