Hand Surgery!

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
So, it happened yesterday!

Currently, I am “typing” on my iPad, using voice recognition. Since I use it regularly on my iPhone, I am OK with it, but it does sometimes do funky stuff LOL

The surgery was on my dominant hand (because of course it’s the dominant hand, right?)

Today, my hand is very swollen and sore; I am trying to keep it above my heart as directed, and to do the basic range-of-motion finger movements that the doctor prescribed. My throat is sore from being intubated also. I have cut off the toes from a pair of socks, and made thumb holes in the sides to make “gloves”. I put both “gloves” on my surgery hand, and then slip an ice pack between them; it’s so much easier than trying to hold an ice pack right now!

Basic outlook is to get/keep swelling down, keep moving fingers. Don’t lift anything heavier than 5 pounds at all, (sorry kitties - all y’all too chunky for Mom to pick up now! LOL) and especially no hard gripping or squeezing. In 2 weeks, the stitches come out, and as long as everything goes to plan, I will be fully completely recovered before I arrive at WDW in late January! Yay!

So, if I am not as “visible” for a couple of weeks, please know that I am still here, just recuperating is all!

Good luck with your recovery! Hopefully by January you'll be able to cut your own food. I went to WDW about a month after carpal tunnel syndrome surgery (and like you-my dominant hand) and the only problem was that I couldn't cut meat, so when we ate a nice dinner at CRT (this was pre-character), they had to cut my Prime Rib for me in the kitchen. The server was really nice and subtle about given me my plate with pre-cut meat, but I was kind of embarrassed!

Currently, I am “typing” on my iPad, using voice recognition. Since I use it regularly on my iPhone, I am OK with it, but it does sometimes do funky stuff LOL

The surgery was on my dominant hand (because of course it’s the dominant hand, right?)

Today, my hand is very swollen and sore; I am trying to keep it above my heart as directed, and to do the basic range-of-motion finger movements that the doctor prescribed. My throat is sore from being intubated also. I have cut off the toes from a pair of socks, and made thumb holes in the sides to make “gloves”. I put both “gloves” on my surgery hand, and then slip an ice pack between them; it’s so much easier than trying to hold an ice pack right now!

Basic outlook is to get/keep swelling down, keep moving fingers. Don’t lift anything heavier than 5 pounds at all, (sorry kitties - all y’all too chunky for Mom to pick up now! LOL) and especially no hard gripping or squeezing. In 2 weeks, the stitches come out, and as long as everything goes to plan, I will be fully completely recovered before I arrive at WDW in late January! Yay!

So, if I am not as “visible” for a couple of weeks, please know that I am still here, just recuperating is all!
Prayers coming your way for a quick and successful recovery. 🙏🏼

Good luck with your recovery! Hopefully by January you'll be able to cut your own food. I went to WDW about a month after carpal tunnel syndrome surgery (and like you-my dominant hand) and the only problem was that I couldn't cut meat, so when we ate a nice dinner at CRT (this was pre-character), they had to cut my Prime Rib for me in the kitchen. The server was really nice and subtle about given me my plate with pre-cut meat, but I was kind of embarrassed!

Oh that was so kind of them, to help prepare your meal so it was easier for you! It’s always lovely to hear how thoughtful, wonderful and helpful cast members can be! I can understand feeling embarrassed; I try hard to remember that most folks are not paying any attention to me at all; they are busy having their own vacation, but it does still feel like everyone knows somehow.

I’m fortunate (question mark) because it was my middle finger. As one family member said, as long as I am not stuck with “permanent bird finger” we can probably figure everything else out! LOL. Right now, I still can’t give a thumbs up without that finger sticking straight out to the side, so it’s the OK with my thumb and finger in a circle for now!

Since it is my middle finger that was affected, at least I have my thumb and forefinger, which are reasonably functional. I haven’t tried cutting my own food yet, but I get my stitches out at my first post-op appointment on the 23rd, so I am hopeful I will be able to cut up my Christmas dinner unassisted!

Hi Mamabunny:

I hope you will get better soon! No surgery is fun and I wish you didn't have to go through that!
January will be here before you know it:)
You said late January?
We are going to be at Universal mid February and can't wait. I like that time of year, though we usually go late FEb and early March to beat the spring break crowd.
At least we both have some nice weather and fun times to look forward to. Take Care:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter