Gravol?

mort1331

DIS Veteran
I have been seeing lots of threads on Bonnie or Dramamine, but they are in the US. We have Gravol up here. Has anyone used this for rides and preventing feeling like crap. I like a lot of us have started to get the signs of ageing. I used to be able to ride everything at Canadas Wonderlad. Now not so much. Last time at Disney, Smugglers Run did me in,,,but did not put me out. Even Mission Space orange,,felt crap for about 1/2 hour, but ok after.
We are doing Universal this time for the 1st time. Read all about the rides, want to be prepared. I am one that wants to ride everything at least once and make my own decisions if I like it or not.
Will Gravol work with this? Is the long lasting one just as good as the 4 hour?
Thanks for all your help,,,,heres to keeping it down.

Gravol and Dramamine are the same thing. Gravol is just the marketing name for it in Canada.

Bonamine/Bonine isn't available in Canada. In the U.S. I believe it is maketed as Dramamine non-drowsy or something like that, just to make it more confusing.

Since Gravol is the only one available in Canada, that's what my wife uses occasionally. It works well for motion sickness, though it does make you a bit drowsy for several hours. From what I understand, Bonamine doesn't make you as drowsy, but isn't quite as effective.

Last edited:
Gravol makes me sleepy. I have used ginger gravol and seabands which generally work well for me. But I also have to close my eyes and do some deep breathing on or after some rides, and can only handle things like Star Tours and Everest a couple times before I send my son on by himself.

Gravol and Dramamine are the same thing. Gravol is just the marketing name for it in Canada.

Bonamine isn't available in Canada. In the U.S. I believe it is maketed as Dramamine non-drowsy or something like that, just to make it more confusing.

Since Gravol is the only one available in Canada, that's what my wife uses occasionally. It works well for motion sickness, though it does make you a bit drowsy for several hours. From what I understand, Bonamine doesn't make you as drowsy, but isn't quite as effective.
Yes I found I had to find out the reverse name when I was in Canada.

I prefer Bonine but that is just the brand name for Meclizine. I would see if you can find it there under another name. I know it is popular with fisherman etc so maybe sporting goods spot. We like it much better than Dramamine but many don't use it properly. I take one at night before bed and another in the morning, the build up works well. If you just take it prior to need it often doesn't have time or power to work.

Less Drowsy Dramamine is the same as Bonine. It is meclizine. Normal Dramamine is the same as Gravol and is dimenhydrinate. It is also sold as many no name brands.

Meclizine makes me way less sleepy than Gravol.

I've used meclizine and it works. I don't get drowsy with it and also don't get nauseous. I have also used it when I have a bad migraine or things like that that cause nausea. It helps.
I had bought mine on amazon but I don't believe you can get it that way any more.

Does Meclizine work as good though? Or Bonnie? Never used anything before
Bonine is the brand name for Meclizine. Like Klennex to Tissues.

It is the only thing we use now. It works for us and we are not drowsy.

I take meclizine and it works well for me. I take one pill every 24 hours, usually right before bed so I will already be dosed when I awake in the morning. Dimenhydrinate makes me nauseous even if I just sit still. I have used both generic meclizine and the Bonine brand, usually whichever is cheaper when I am at the store.

I agree with Bonine/meclizine. The reason it isn't sold here in Canada is weird - something to do with the patent expiring, but as I understand it, not b/c the medicine isn't approved. I also got some via Amazon a few years back but now have to pick it up in the US when I'm there. Works great for me on cruises and with various motion sickness issues, and no drowsiness.

There is a form of "non-drowsy" Dramamine that is just ginger pills, so watch out for that.

I have used the Gravol and ginger gravol available in Canada and neither worked for me. I have Bonine on my next Publix grocery list.

I don't know which anti-nauseant they had out at the first aid centres, and that stuff is AMAZING. Zero drowsiness, dry mouth etc... that Gravol causes me, and it was very effective. If you can't find anything once you arrive, just ask at the first aid centre in any of the parks.

I have used the Gravol and ginger gravol available in Canada and neither worked for me. I have Bonine on my next Publix grocery list.
I do think that the off the shelf stuff here isn't as powerful as the stuff in the US. With that said, I do find that the ginger Gravol works for me, unless I'm going on Time Warp/Flight Deck. which I won't ride unless this ends up being the last year for them.

So here now and update on Bonnie...picked up at local store....bith wifr and I tried it...read instructions...chew,dont swalloe,take at least 1 hour prior.
Works for her....not so much for me...
Went on Gringots....not too bad but still felt something....went on Forbidden Journey....not a good thing...came off slight headache..tingly in legs..sweats...yup done for the day....
Next day..Hagrids...great coaster....but still came off not so great....no more for the day...
I just need to accept the fact that im getting old...cant do it all anymore...sucks because I loved all that stuff. And now my oldest wants to do it,,,but hates doing it solo. I walk till rider swap..then she goes solo..but shes not a fan of that.
But I am going to try Guatdians even knowing I will be hurting after...dumb dumb dumb.

Get Seabands. If that is not an option and you wear a watch...tighten the watchband right around your wrist joint.

In the US you can get a patch that you wear behind your ear. Ask a pharmacist for those.

So here now and update on Bonnie...picked up at local store....bith wifr and I tried it...read instructions...chew,dont swalloe,take at least 1 hour prior.
Went on Gringots....not too bad but still felt something....went on Forbidden Journey....not a good thing...came off slight headache..tingly in legs..sweats...yup done for the day....
Next day..Hagrids...great coaster....but still came off not so great....no more for the day...
I just need to accept the fact that im getting old...cant do it all anymore...sucks because I loved all that stuff. And now my oldest wants to do it,,,but hates doing it solo. I walk till rider swap..then she goes solo..but shes not a fan of that.
But I am going to try Guatdians even knowing I will be hurting after...dumb dumb dumb.I

I have heard that with Guardians, it's better for motion sickness in the middle rows. My daughter and husband struggled in the back row, daughter never has ride issues but did with this one. I'm not speaking from experience though, I walked the queue with them and passed on riding.

But I am going to try Guatdians even knowing I will be hurting after...dumb dumb dumb.

I get motion sickness and have to use a combination of methods to deal with it as any alone is not enough for me. I use:

- meclizine (I use Dramamine Less Drowsy, but there are other options, including Bonine and generic; meclizine is available in the USA over the counter but has not been sold in Canada since about 2011);
- SeaBands (I use the originals; most pharmacies carry them)
- ginger capsule or gelcap (I use Gravol brand ginger products, as they give a fixed known dose)
- TummyDrops ginger candy (I use Tummydrops because they give a fixed known dose vs other candies where you don't know how much you are getting nor if it is the same amount candy to candy); Tummydrops are sold through their website and Amazon.com

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you :(
For cruising, I start taking Bonine the day before and I take it regularly (whatever the max dosage is) until at least day 3 of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter