Gratuities at Magic's Topsiders

Poly-Anna

Mouseketeer
Almost still newbies here - we are going on our second cruise in April and have a dining/tipping question. Currently we have a second seating for dinner which honestly won't work for us (our 8 DS will never make it that long waiting for dinner and neither will my DH or I). So if we don't really eat in the main dining rooms and eat mostly at Topsiders for dinner, how/when do you give waitstaff in Topsiders gratuities?

Having only gone on a 3 night cruise and had first seating, we ate every night in the main dining rooms and had the same waitstaff every night, tipping on the last night as usual. But at Topsiders will we have different waiters each night or is dinner just serve-yourselves? We only ate at the buffet for breakfast previously and honestly have no idea about dinner there. :confused3

Any help with this is appreciated. :)

Almost still newbies here - we are going on our second cruise in April and have a dining/tipping question. Currently we have a second seating for dinner which honestly won't work for us (our 8 DS will never make it that long waiting for dinner and neither will my DH or I). So if we don't really eat in the main dining rooms and eat mostly at Topsiders for dinner, how/when do you give waitstaff in Topsiders gratuities?

Having only gone on a 3 night cruise and had first seating, we ate every night in the main dining rooms and had the same waitstaff every night, tipping on the last night as usual. But at Topsiders will we have different waiters each night or is dinner just serve-yourselves? We only ate at the buffet for breakfast previously and honestly have no idea about dinner there. :confused3

really good question! Now that you mention it, I dont think we even tipped at Topsiders the first time we went! Gosh I hope my hubby did.

Im curious about an answer. :confused3

AFAIK, Cabanas, Topsider's and BBB isn't a tip restaurant.
You could tip in cash to the person as you think it's appropriate?

The servers in the MDR's are still assigned you you even though you may not use their services, so any tip's should really still be given to them, either way IMO.

You could all have a late snack from the quick services outlets in the early evening to tide you over until your later seating?

Ex Techie :)

We were told that the staff at Topsiders are still considered "in training" and that this is not a tipped position. That said, I'm sure that they would appreciate a couple dollars on the table especially if you ate there more than once.

As to late seating--we do a late afternoon "healthy" snack. There are some good choices at Goofy's Galley. Even big peeps don't do well with lunch at noon and not sitting down to dinner till 8:30.

So (hypothetically) if we don't eat in the main dining rooms, are we still expected to give the waitstaff there the same gratuities as if we did?

Also, if we eat dinner at Topsiders, should we maybe pay the waiter/waitress a cash tip that evening?

Again, I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm still trying to get the logistics of cruising down! Thanks for your help! :thumbsup2

One thing you should note is that Topsiders/BBB are closed on the first and last night of each cruise. Therefore if you are not planning to go to the MDR's then you will have to go to the food options on deck nine or order room service on those nights. Have a magical cruise.

So (hypothetically) if we don't eat in the main dining rooms, are we still expected to give the waitstaff there the same gratuities as if we did?

Also, if we eat dinner at Topsiders, should we maybe pay the waiter/waitress a cash tip that evening?

Again, I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm still trying to get the logistics of cruising down! Thanks for your help! :thumbsup2

Ok, hope this doesn't turn into another heated tipping thread!

The wait staff are paid a minimal wage by DCL. (around $10 a week)
Their wage is made from the suggested tip's each guest is "suggested" to pay them.
To complicate thing's more as your sailing on the Magic, due to the low tip's received by the wait staff whilst she was in Europe (the wait staff in Europe, are generally paid a minimum or reasonable wage, and tip's are a bonus for good service) and in the US a minimal wage is paid, and tips make up their wage (cruise ship wait staff next to nothing) they weren't getting paid whilst in Europe, so DCL intoduced an Auto Grat policy where you will be billed for the "suggested amount per person" (wait staff, and Stateroom Host) and you are free to change it up or down at Guest Services depending on what you feel is right.

So, the wait staff in the MDR's are assigned Guest's. And their tip's pay their wages.
Whether you eat in the restaurant or not, is your choice, but your "suggested tip" is their wage.

Not to get political or judgemental at all, whether you feel you should tip the "suggested amount" tot he wait staff in the MDR's even if you don't use them, and chose to use Topsiders or the Quick Serve counters is entirely up to you.
But you will find many differing opinions on here.

Mine is, they still should get their "suggested tip" as if your family, and another family assigned to them, both chose to not dine in the MDR's, then they have lost a large proportion of their wage.
Whether the cruise line should pay them a better basic wage is another point of view, but DCL are in line with every other cruise line in that serving positions get paid next to nothing, and to earn a living, they need to get tip's.

HTH's explain it a bit, and is a little bit clearer for you without any judgement! :goodvibes

If you do not eat in the main dining room you should tip the wait staff anyhow. The tips constitute the bulk of their salary, and the fact that you didn't sit at their station wasn't their fault or their choice. In addition, they (and all servers) have other assignments at breakfast and lunch as well as pirate night, evening snacks, etc. for which there are no tips involved.

The tip that you give your servers at dinner represents all of the service you received at all meals.

You are under no obligation to tip if you choose to eat at Topsiders/BBB/Cabanas. DCL no where suggests that you tip at these venues. This is not considered a tipped position for the staff. However, they will not turn down a small tip if left on the table. Likewise, you are under no obligation to tip beyond the upcharge at Remy or Palo, although many guests do leave an extra tip.

I view the "suggested" tips as almost obligatory. If the service was really bad and didn't improve after a discussion with the head server, I might adjust it, but the "suggested" is basically what the staff is counting on. Anything additional, or a tip to any other position, is totally optional.

That (sadly) explains alot. Besides the grats to the waitstaff in the MDRs, I will try to be conscious of tipping in Topsiders as well when we dine there for dinner. Thanks for your input (and no, you both weren't too political). :thumbsup2

First, get wait listed for 1st dining. If you are not assigned before you sail, go to the "Dining Changes" desk and ask. When you check in at the terminal, you should receive a Navigator telling you where to go.

Second, even if you don't eat dinner in the MDR, your assigned staff works the breakfast and lunch buffets as well as some of the fast food areas. So the tips cover them for all meals for all passengers. You can always tip in cash the people at the buffet at dinner, however, as a previous poster has said, on a 3 night cruise, the buffet is only open on night 2.

Another thing, the kids club staff will come and get those kids on late dining at about 9pm, on some cruises, this might help if your son wants to eat late afternoon and them come to the MDR for a while.

But get on the wait list, many people have said they did and got the change well before sailing.

I agree with the last post, call Disney right away and get on the wait list to change your dining time. Both times we have gotten on the wait list, we have been moved up to main dining.

Definitely try to get your dining changed once onboard.....but if it can't be changed...give late dining a try.

We found we prefer late dining. We feel so rushed with early dining but you know your family best. I certainly would not give up the MDR for dinner at Topsider's each night...but that is me.

MJ

You might be surprised and like late dinning! I am an early person when it comes to eating but always get the late dinning and love it. I snack a bit at either the Cove or I get room service since it is free and then eat dinner at my scheduled time. Try to change your dinning time but if you cant then give it a try. Don't miss those fantastic meals!

Have a Magical Cruise!

They only make $10 a week?!?!?! :eek:

That's crazy. I am looking at applying for DCL, but not in the wait staff area, and now I'm glad I didn't!

Be careful of relying on employment information from this board, regardless of the source. The best way to find out is to ask Disney directly. Also, you may wish to ask what tips a server can expect (again from Disney, I haven't seen anyone here yet who speaks with authority on that).

I'm just saying, don't make an employment decision based on this! Many things to consider, such as the true wage/tip level, job availability, quality of work (do you want to work in the dining area versus repairing plumbing, for example), your own expectations and career progression, etc. etc.

DCL has a website for prospective employees (I suspect you've already checked there). Good luck!!!

They only make $10 a week?!?!?! :eek:

That's crazy. I am looking at applying for DCL, but not in the wait staff area, and now I'm glad I didn't!

They only get paid around $10 a week by DCL, but if they get the suggested tip's, they "could" earn up to $56/person on a 7 day cruise they serve in the MDR's in tip's for a Dining Room Server, and $42/person on a 7 day cruise for an Assistant Server.

A Stateroom Host/Hostess also "could" earn $56/person on a 7 day cruise.

Which position were you thinking of applying for?

over50visits is right that you shouldn't take any comment's on here as gospel, and speak to DCL or your recruiter about wages. and your "opportunity to earn" amount's.

Also if you are a US citizen, then tax is payable, so that is worth thinking about.

I actually am waitlisted for the earlier seating and will continue to try to change the seating once we board if it's not changed before. Thanks again all!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter