Grand Villa at Old Key West in March...and lots of plans to be made.

Monday

-Sunday ended with so much uncertainty, I didn't know what to expect today.

I slept decent. Woke up real earlly. A little after 6 AM. So, I went downstairs and turned on the Weather Channel. The rain had shifted south! Not even overcast. Forecast was for sun all day. I could've jumped in the air. I was also shocked that I was the first one awake. My parents are notorious early risers. They were up soon after. Followed by Lydia. So, I fed her breakfast. Angie woke up sometime in there too. I was starting to wonder how early of a start we'd really get with half the group still asleep. So, I went upstairs thinking I'd get people moving. Another surprise. Kristen was up and showered and Beth was showering! Pat and Tom were both up too. So, I got Kelly up and we were in full swing.

Out the door a little before 9:30 and the bus to the Magic Kingdom was there soon after. Lydia was highly excited to ride the bus. She was happy sitting in another big girl seat and looking out the window....So was I. Again, just looking for signs of Disney. It all came at once. Space Mountain, the Contemporary, The Grand Floridian, and finally, a monorail. We were there.

So, we got off the bus and found a stand to exchange Give a Day vouchers. We did. We all got park tickets and a special voluntear button. Kinda cool. And were now ready to walk through the gates. But, the stress wasn't completely done yet....

....The night before, I had given somebody else my camera to take a group picture. On the handoff, the camera dropped (I blame the other lady...but, not important). It worked right away after being dropped, but now, as we were walking up Main Street towards the Castle, and the lense wouldn't even opened. Kelly freaked out. She messed with it. I messed with it. No luck. My dad was trying to get a consensus on what to do first and we just weren't interested. They decided on the Jungle Cruise. Fine. While in line, the lense finally tried to move. It was clear that it was just slightly bent. So, we just manipulated it back...and it worked again. Relief. But, really overshadowed the Magic Kingdom enterance.

The Jungle Cruise was good. I didn't pay much attention..just focused on Lydia. She was amused. Just happy to point and name the animals. Then, the cave happened. I've never known Lydia to be afraid of the dark...but, the combo of the darkness and the vicious looking tiger caused her to grab mommy and close her eyes. But, after the cave was the baby elephants. And she was a huge fan of those.

After that, we just stayed in the area for Magic Carpets of Alladin. No line. No camera stress. felt like the real first ride. I made a few comments about these types of rides being available at any local amusement park, but it really was fun. Lydia loved it. She sat with Pat and Kristen and Kelly and I sat in front of them...She was able to wave to the other carpet full of family members and my parents on the ground. Plus, being up high gave me a good chance to just look around and finally let it sink in that I was finally there.

Tiki Room was next. Lydia was a huge fan. She was the only one. Pretty sure she thought we were actually listening to birds sing. She loved it.

So, at this point in the day, we decided to do Pirates and the Haunted Mansion, then eat and break apart for the day. Some people wanted to do the big kid stuff, we wanted to it Fantasyland hard. So, Pirates was next. This and Haunted Mansion were a little much for Lydia. She never showed signs of understanding the dark context of stuff. but, she got it. Didn't cry, but didn't open her eyes much either.

After those 2, we got fastpasses for Splash Mountain....

Ate lunch at...I dunno. ...some place in Frontierland that has taco salads. Bad food. We did get free cookies because of our volunteer buttons. That was a nice touch.

After lunch, fastpasses were ready. We were gonna just go in 2 groups, but my mom said she'd be happy to take Lydia...so, the 8 of us went. It was fun. All I could think during the ride was; "yup, Lydia would love this one. they should have a version without the drop."

So, moving on to Fantasyland. At Lydia's request, Snow White was first...oops. So, that's 3 in a row that scared her. I knew it was kinda dark...but, wow! The queen trying to push a boulder on our head might've been the last straw. but, still no tears. Pooh was next....well...fastpass for Pooh. Return time wasn't for another 3 hours, but it did give us bonus fastpasses for Mickey's Philharmagic. So, we walked right in. First time seeing it. It was good. Lydia reaching for the gems during the Little Mermaid part was one of the highlights of the day. Her first experience with 3-D. Then, Snow White. Lydia loved the non scary parts...but, wow. I know the name says "scary" but, I didn't think it'd be that dark. It's a Small World next. meh. I'll probably skip that one next time. Next, a snack and Pooh's Playful Spot. Lydia was a fan. I could tell she was getting tired though and wasn't sure how that'd affect the day. But, it was time for our fastpasses for Pooh. Another new one for me.

So, in the middle of all the Fantasyland stuff, we did get pretty good spots for the 3 pm parade. Lydia loved this. She was yelling to characters and waving. got Kelly teary-eyed. We knew at that point that we should find a way to be there for Spectromagic at 8.

By now, it was 5. Tom and Beth went back to OKW to relax for a couple hours right after The Haunted Mansion. They were coming back at 6:30 for their Space Mountain fastpasses. So The remaining 7 of us walked to Tomorrowland for the first time. My parents encouraged us to go on Space Mountain while they took Lydia on other things. Angie stayed with 'em as she had fastpasses with Tom and Beth. So, we did. The line was about an hour, but it went real fast. We had video games to play in line and were able to just chat without a child to watch. It was refreshing. Ride was ok. Doesn't hold a candle to Disneyland's version. Got done and waited for my parents and Lydia. They had much success. She fell asleep in line for Buzz, slept through that. Then loved TTA...a lot. Then, they actually went on the Carosel of Progress. So, all told, Lydia napped for 35 minutes. Good enough. She was energized..as were we. This break in the day made the rest of the day possible.

And now, it was just Kelly, Lydia and I. We did the Indy Speedway next...another big hit with Lydia...Before that we got fastpasses for Buzz. Got to do that right after the Speedway...Then, I saw something I completely spaced out...The Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. So, we got right in. So awesome. Lydia was Boo, for anybody familiar with the attraction. She was beyond thrilled.

Now, it was supper time. We went to Cosmic Ray's for a bad burger and fries. Then, parade time. We found a good spot in Liberty Square. The parade was great. Lydia was wide-eyed the whole time. And that lasted until about 30 seconds after the parade. Then, she was asleep on my shoulder. Not unexpected. She was a trooper...and loved almost every minute. But, Kelly and I still wanted to see the fireworks, so, we found a spot and watched them. Then, we realized we were missing one thing we wanted to do..Peter Pan. So, we went over there. 10 minute wait. So, we did it. without waking Lydia up. She slept through the line and the ride. It was my first time riding in over 15 years. good way to end the day.

Great day. pretty much everything I had hoped for.

Tuesday

This would be a much needed pool day after the intense MK day the day before. And, in the morning, Kelly and I made the decision that we would only have one more park day. We would split it between Hollywood Studios and Epcot. Animal Kingdom would be skipped on this trip. Tough call...but, it'd be a day away from everybody else...and a lot more money. So, it was a pretty easy decision.

We woke up and had breakfast...and went to the pool as early as possible. We got seats in a sandy area right by the pool. Perfect. I started out swimming with Lydia while Kelly relaxed on a beach chair (her favorite part of any vacation). I took Lydia down the slide once...and got yelled at by a lifeguard. Can't have kids on your lap. Only one person at a time. This was bad news. Lydia loves waterslides, but only on somebody's lap. Never ran into a situation where we couldn't do that. So, Kelly took her up and sent her down by herself....fail. So, We only took her down the waterslide when there was a new lifeguard on duty :). I'm not one for breaking the rules...but, that rule is dumb.

Anyway, we took a break for some sandwiches for lunch, and went right back to the pool. It was a nice day. Sunny and mid 70s. We decided we'd go somewhere to eat supper even though my parents had thought we'd stay in. So, we decided on the Big River Brewery on the Boardwalk. Looked like a fun place, we are all beer nerds from Wisconsin...So, it seemed like a good idea. Fail. The food was just bad. Out of all 9 of us, I think 1 person liked the food she got. And we're NOT a family of complainers. I got some very dry chicken. My dad got a mahi mahi sandwich that he said tasted inferior to a fillet o' fish from McDonalds. Just bad, bad food. Too bad, since it was the one time we wanted to eat somewhere nice as a group. I would've pushed for a resort place...but, with that many people, we kinda had to meet in the middle at a place with a varied menu. The beer was ok...not great. After supper, we went home and went to bed. It was a nice relaxing day. Tomorrow, would be the second park day.

Wednesday

Woke up...Perfect weather. On this day, we all had kinda different plans...

Myself, Kelly, Lydia and my parents would split the day between Hollywood Studios and Epcot

Pat, Kristen and Angie would spend the full day at Epcot.

Tom and Beth would relax by the pool in the morning before Tom drove Beth to the airport for her flight home. He said he was more than happy to relax by himself from 4pm on.

So, the 5 of us walked to the bus stop and were there for about 30 seconds before the bus to the Studios arrived. Perfect. Lydia loved the bus ride again...We got to the park and went straight for Toy Story Mania. Wow. What a ride. Really fun. Worth the whole trip to that park.

After that, we went over by the Little Mermaid and Playhouse Disney shows. both were a half hour away from the next show, so, my parents got all of us fastpasses for Tower of Terror (yes, my dad assured Kelly it was safe for her). And we waited in line for Handy Manny and some critters from Little Einstein. Lydia is a big Handy Manny fan, so she was pumped. Little Mermaid was ok...I expected more. Playhouse Disney was ...well...Lydia liked it. My parents skipped it and used their fastpasses.

So, we met them at the enterance and gave them Lydia, and did ToT. Awesome as always. And we got off and saw there was 12 minutes before the Cars stunt show...and it was on the other side of the park. So, we ran. And JUST barely made it. I had never seen this before and was very impressed...And, surprisingly, Lydia loved it. I thought she'd lose interest, but she enjoyed it.

Then, my parents left for Epcot. We just wanted to do the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground and the Muppets. The playground was really crowded. So, we didn't stay long. Lydia enjoyed the Muppets.

So, time to leave Hollywood Studios...right at 3:00, just as I planned. But, I forgot about something...On our way out, we noticed people waiting for a parade...I had forgotten all about the Block Party Bash. So, we waited and watched it. Glad we did. we got great pictures of Lydia dancing with Bo Peep.

So, now it's 4:00 and time to take the boat to Epcot. It was a nice relaxing boat ride. Lydia fell asleep on Kelly's shoulder. and transferred to the stroller without waking up. So, I sent a text to everyone that we were in Epcot and made our way towards future world. Wanted to eat, but strollers aren't allowed in buildings...in hindsight, should've just got something from a stand in the World Showcase. ah well. We just got popsicles to snack on. Saw Chip and Dale with a reasonably short line, so, we waited while Lydia slept and nudged her awake when she was next in line.

Then, met up with the rest and went on Imagination with my parents and Angie. Pat and Kristen were gonna run back to OKW for cold medicine for Kristen. Lydia LOVED JIYI. Probably her favorite of the trip. Which is awesome, because it was my favorite when I was little and the ride was still good. Although, the new version did exceed my low expectations. After the ride, we played in imageworks and checked out the jumping water. Lydia loved both. Now, we broke off. Just the 3 of us again.

Did Nemo next. Again, Lydia loved the ride. Another candidate for her favorite. I was impressed too. Then, we looked at the aquarium and did Turtle Talk. Then, Spaceship Earth. The novelty of being in the giant ball was enough to get Lydia real excited. I liked the ride...I liked it better when there was more substance at the end as opposed to the interactive screen part. Seems like a waste of a lot of good ride space.

By this point, we hadn't had a real meal in a while, so, we debated between something at the Land or something from Mexico. We looked at the menu at The Land, but Kelly was not impressed, so, to Mexico we went. Real good food there. Probably the best meal of the trip. just got the counter service stuff, but we were all impressed. And, while we were eating, my parents and Angie walked by. My parents were going to do the stuff that Angie already did in the morning, So, Angie stuck with us and we went into the Mexico pavillion....This was the moment that I think Kelly "got" Disney. She had been to Epcot before, but did it wrong. focused on the rides and didn't explore. She was blown away by the theming in that building. So, we walked around a bit and walked on the boat ride...I should mention that we walked on every Epcot ride so far. It was my first time on it since it was re-themed with Donald...and again, it vastly exceeded my expectations. Very immersive and impressing looking. Lydia, again, loved it. Yes, it's very possible that her 4 favorite rides were at Epcot.

By now it was dark out...just a little time to explore before Illuminations. And, I got a surprising text...Pat was back...with Tom! Kristen still wasn't feeling well, so she gave Tom her ticket. They knew it would work because Kristen didn't have to do the finger scan. So, now Tom and Pat were with us and we headed to Maelstrom. Then, just walked around, explored the countries on that side, and got a great spot in front of Germany for Illuminations, which was awesome as always. Then, went for the gates and got on a bus as it was leaving. Perfect timing.

Lydia went right to bed and the rest of us stayed up and had a few beers and discussed the day. Really, I wish we had more time at Epcot. I knew it'd be fun, but it exceeded my expectations.

hey there. we are going with a 2 bedroom and a studio because the GV is much more than that. can you give me some insight as to the benefits of the GV and if it is worth the amount of points. thanks

Eric

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter