Grand Californian Super Thread

If you're going to use the in-room coffee maker, you can buy something at Starbucks and ask for an empty cup and bring back some half-and-half for later if you're going back to the room. I mean, obviously you can get your coffee there, too, but it's nice to have some cream for the times when you want to use the room machine.
Yep, a cup of cream is probably a good idea for the fridge. ;)

I found the answer elsewhere so didn't need to ask my question. Everyone in the Disneyland forum has been so helpful! Thanks for helping a DL newbie.

Last edited:
Anyone had luck recently requesting a room with a king bed?
We request a king with pull out chair and day bed every time we stay (several times per year). We get the King about 30%of the time. In the last year, we have twice reserved 2 rooms on one stay. I requested the king room for one room and a 2 queen room for the other room (and I requested connecting rooms if possible). On both of those trips, we got exactly that configuration. It leads me to believe that maybe they hold the kings back a little for those that need connecting rooms? Also I have heard they hold the kings for folks who are there for conferences. Not sure if either of those are true. I do think the number of King rooms is quite low compared to 2 queens at GCH.

We request a king with pull out chair and day bed every time we stay (several times per year). We get the King about 30%of the time. In the last year, we have twice reserved 2 rooms on one stay. I requested the king room for one room and a 2 queen room for the other room (and I requested connecting rooms if possible). On both of those trips, we got exactly that configuration. It leads me to believe that maybe they hold the kings back a little for those that need connecting rooms? Also I have heard they hold the kings for folks who are there for conferences. Not sure if either of those are true. I do think the number of King rooms is quite low compared to 2 queens at GCH.
I am wondering about the queens with a 5th sleeper. I requested this and the person on the phone seemed to imply there are not that many, yet every youtube video I watch with two queens has the 5th sleeper.

Does anyone have experience to share on getting these?

I am wondering about the queens with a 5th sleeper. I requested this and the person on the phone seemed to imply there are not that many, yet every youtube video I watch with two queens has the 5th sleeper.

I wonder if these are mostly used for the suites? To increase possible occupancy as much as possible? We just returned from the trip of a lifetime (thanks Mom) and had a 3 BR suite; 2 of the 3 BRs had 2Q and a sleeper sofa.

Almost every 2 queen room we have had included the day bed, but I do always ask for the day bed at check in IF we don’t get the king room. We are a party of 4, so technically we don’t “have” to have the day bed by the booking criteria (as parties of 5 do), but we have always been given it (so at least my girls can avoid sharing a bed!). If you want to be sure of the day bed and you are a party of 4, people have added a phantom child to the reservation (don’t add an adult unless you want to pay the nightly fee for an extra adult beyond 2 in the room), to make it a party of 5. I have never done this. We just ask nicely for the day bed at check in and it has worked out.

In our connecting rooms last weekend, one had the king with sleeper chair and fold down bed, and the 2 queens room did NOT have the day bed (but we didn’t need it since my parents were using the2 queen room).

Almost every 2 queen room we have had included the day bed, but I do always ask for the day bed at check in IF we don’t get the king room. We are a party of 4, so technically we don’t “have” to have the day bed by the booking criteria (as parties of 5 do), but we have always been given it (so at least my girls can avoid sharing a bed!). If you want to be sure of the day bed and you are a party of 4, people have added a phantom child to the reservation (don’t add an adult unless you want to pay the nightly fee for an extra adult beyond 2 in the room), to make it a party of 5. I have never done this. We just ask nicely for the day bed at check in and it has worked out.

In our connecting rooms last weekend, one had the king with sleeper chair and fold down bed, and the 2 queens room did NOT have the day bed (but we didn’t need it since my parents were using the2 queen room).
Thanks for the tips! We are arriving early. I will be sure to ask at check in. We also just have the two kids and would prefer they sleep separate so they don't kick each other all night 😆

When I called to add the request I asked the lady to add a note that it’s my 40th birthday trip so maybe the person assigning the rooms would try to make it work 😅

Is there any benefit to checking in online vs at the front desk? I would do both anyways to make sure we get our preferred area if possible but wondering if still a point to checking in on the app beforehand.

Is there any benefit to checking in online vs at the front desk? I would do both anyways to make sure we get our preferred area if possible but wondering if still a point to checking in on the app beforehand.
I would think the sooner you are checked in the better chance you get your requests?

When booking a Downtown Disney view at GCH, what is the worst view or room location you can probably get? Any possible view obstructions?

When booking a Downtown Disney view at GCH, what is the worst view or room location you can probably get? Any possible view obstructions?
Only thing to think about this view is the possible noise. Things in DTD tend to go on pretty late (we get up early for EE so we are not wanting to be awake at MN!), with some loud folks and music. The balcony doors are pretty well insulated for sound at GCH, but they are not sound proof, in my view!

Thanks for the tips! We are arriving early. I will be sure to ask at check in. We also just have the two kids and would prefer they sleep separate so they don't kick each other all night 😆

When I called to add the request I asked the lady to add a note that it’s my 40th birthday trip so maybe the person assigning the rooms would try to make it work 😅
I hope you get it!! I do think arriving earlier in the day gives them more options in room assignments than a later arrival. If you get there early, you can also just say you are willing to wait for the room configuration you want to be available, even if it means the room is available later in the day (if it is important to you). We have at times said we were wiling to wait for a King and they have just said that none were going to be available at any point in the day, no matter if we were willing to wait. But earlier gives you more options, I think.

Well, I'm not sure about views, but the DTD view rooms tend to be the farthest from an elevator, so keep that in mind. If you look on a map of the hotel, there are 2 "arms" at the top and that's where the DTD room views are (on the top side of the arms). Look at the Lobby Level map and you can see that the top of the hotel is what fronts DTD. It's hard to see on the map at this size, but the big E areas are the elevators. There is one above the area where Napa Rose is, and one above the Great Hall. The farther down the "arm" (towards the end of the wing" your room is, the farther you will be from an elevator. Those wings can seem really long at the end of the day.
gch rooms.JPG,

I think you have a better chance of getting your requested room if you check in early online. When I spoke to a CM before our last visit she said they start doing room assignments at 6am.

FYI, just checked out of 5329, artisan suite by the Napa Rose elevators, and I will always avoid this area in future. That inset between x329 and the mirror image suite beside it on the map above is a seating area with big comfy sofas. That’s the spot where fellow guests walk their screaming babies at 1am so they won’t wake the rest of their party, and where parents send their wound-up kids to play to get them out from underfoot in the room. Not fun.

FYI, just checked out of 5329, artisan suite by the Napa Rose elevators, and I will always avoid this area in future. That inset between x329 and the mirror image suite beside it on the map above is a seating area with big comfy sofas. That’s the spot where fellow guests walk their screaming babies at 1am so they won’t wake the rest of their party, and where parents send their wound-up kids to play to get them out from underfoot in the room. Not fun.
Oh gosh...what a bummer to have an artisan suite that abuts a public lounge area! I've spent time in that spot with my sister. I never even thought about what was beyond it. FWIW, we didn't make a lot of noise and certainly weren't there at 1 AM.

I hope you brought this to the attention of hotel management! I'm not sure what could be done about it...they probably didn't anticipate people using it at that hour. You would think the artisan suites would have really good insulation, at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter