Government Again Concedes Vaccines Cause Autism

Biased in favor of whom? Kids with autism? How horrible! At least they're not bought and paid for by Big Pharma.

And like it or not, this is the way the court ruled in this particular case, which of course the pharma-bought media is not bothering to report. It's not the first such case that was settled in favor of the vaccine-injured child. But you won't hear about it on CNN or read it in the New York Times. If we had unbiased media, there would be no need for Age of Autism.

One look at the Amish population should make the CDC question the findings. The Amish don't vaccinate and the Amish population does not have the 1 in 150 statistic we have. The ratios should be the same if the vaccines have nothing to do with it. In the end, the truth will never come out because the lawsuits would bankrupt the pharm companies. And truth be told the money form any suit would not help my daughter get back the joy she should have enjoyed as a child.

Keylime, although the Amish don't have the high rate of vaccination as other populations in this country, the rate is increasing. The AAP is really pushing this. And guess what? They're now starting to see autism among the vaccinated children. And no, it's not due to better diagnosis. It's still almost unheard of among the unvaccinated children.

I agree. When I took DD in they wanted to give her garadsil (sp?) I told the Dr. no way! She pushed and I looked at her and said you really don't want this conversation so let's just drop it.

My daughter is nine so I think we are coming up on that conversation soon. Although I think maybe our pediatrician knows better than to bring it up.

We've seen dramatic changes in her recently. More progress this past year then she had made in probably three or four years prior. We've made two important changes--stopped all vaccinations including flu shots and started biomedical treatment. I think I'll mention this to the pediatrician and ask her which change she thinks is responsible for all the wonderful progress that all of my daughter's other doctors and therapists are noticing.

Biased in favor of whom? Kids with autism? How horrible! At least they're not bought and paid for by Big Pharma.

And like it or not, this is the way the court ruled in this particular case, which of course the pharma-bought media is not bothering to report. It's not the first such case that was settled in favor of the vaccine-injured child. But you won't hear about it on CNN or read it in the New York Times. If we had unbiased media, there would be no need for Age of Autism.

I'm a journalist. I know of NO journalist who is impeded by his/her editor from pursuing the autism-vaccine link. Fact is, the anti-vaccinators have gotten this story in the media PLENTY.

Problem for them is study after study shows no link. And the original study that purported to show a link was a fraud.

Now that is NOT to say that vaccines don't cause damage to individual children. They do, and always have. Not everyone can tolerate vaccines, just like with all other medicicnes. But there's no science to prove the link between autism and vaccines.

Do you know the editors at the New York Times? Why have they not covered THIS particular case? Didn't like the outcome? My link lists the numerous media outlets that have declined to cover this important decision. http://www.ageofautism.com/2009/02/...ailey-banks-autism-vaccine-decision.html#more

And who says Wakefield's study was a fraud? Brian Deer, a nobody "journalist" who has made an entire career out of attacking Wakefield? He even brags about it on message boards. Deer's employer now sits on the board of GSK. Don't even get me started on the conflict of interest. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/02/james-murdoch-in-glaxosmithcline-role

There is no science to disprove the autism-vaccine link and there never will be. You can't prove a negative. The court clearly stated that Bailey Banks suffered a vaccine injury which in turn caused his PDD AND the court decision acknowledges that PDD and PDD-NOS were used interchangeably in the medical records. This child is on the autism spectrum as a result of his vaccine injury.

Do you know the editors at the New York Times? Why have they not covered THIS particular case? Didn't like the outcome? My link lists the numerous media outlets that have declined to cover this important decision. http://www.ageofautism.com/2009/02/...ailey-banks-autism-vaccine-decision.html#more

And who says Wakefield's study was a fraud? Brian Deer, a nobody "journalist" who has made an entire career out of attacking Wakefield? He even brags about it on message boards. Deer's employer now sits on the board of GSK. Don't even get me started on the conflict of interest. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/02/james-murdoch-in-glaxosmithcline-role

There is no science to disprove the autism-vaccine link and there never will be. You can't prove a negative. The court clearly stated that Bailey Banks suffered a vaccine injury which in turn caused his PDD AND the court decision acknowledges that PDD and PDD-NOS were used interchangeably in the medical records. This child is on the autism spectrum as a result of his vaccine injury.

Plenty of people disagree with you. But if you limit yourself to the Age of Autism Web site, you'll only be spoon fed what you are predisposed to believe.

There are many children who never had any vaccinations who have autism as well. Again, vaccines -- like ALL MEDICATIONS -- can have dangerous side effects. But they've saved MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of us from the scourges of polio, smallpox and measles.

You seem like you are personally affected by this, so I will bow out. Good luck to you and your family.

Well I have tried to stay out of this one since I have stated my thoughts on the subject before, but I will again since, the facts never get in the way of a good story.

First, I is well accepted that Autism characteristics is a set of genetic neurovariations which when a the proper combination and number and/or combined with other independent factors such as cognitive ability, injury or damages (ether in utero or post birth) or other diseases or genetic anomalies (such as downs syndrome) creates difficulties in areas of development and functioning in neurotypical society to the point where a group of indicative manifestation are adequate to the justify a diagnostic classification.

Certainly vaccines may cause some “damage” in some individuals, and in a very limited number of cases may allow an individual to “step over the line” to a formal diagnosis, whether PDD, Autism, HFA, Aspergers or even some of the secondary alphabet soup classification like ADD, OCD, SID etc.

The reality is that these individuals were already on the spectrum.

It is typically the ”curebees” who think of Autism as a disease that jump on every current fad for a “cause” of Autism and are looking for a “quick fix” or someone to blame.

The study that was done to start this discussion was very poor even by Autism study standards (yes I have read the actual study) and some who were involve in its production and most who reviewed it had rescinded their opinions to a significant extend.

I have little tolerance for much of what the drug industry does, but in this case the risk benefit analysis is grossly in the favor of vaccination. This is especially true since even minor supports and accommodation can “offset” any potential damage that might occur except in the most extreme and damaging cases which using NT damage basis is extremely rare (in the 1/1,000,000+) range.

bookwormde

Plenty of people disagree with you. But if you limit yourself to the Age of Autism Web site, you'll only be spoon fed what you are predisposed to believe.

First of all it makes no difference to me who disagrees with me. Secondly, what makes you think I limit myself to Age of Autism? I discovered that website less than six months ago. I knew my daughter was vaccine-injured years ago. Didn't want to believe it until the evidence was overwhelming. Spoon-fed? Instead of making this personal, why not counter what I posted with something factual?

For Bookwormde:

"Well I have tried to stay out of this one since I have stated my thoughts on the subject before, but I will again since, the facts never get in the way of a good story."

Good story? Sounds like you decided to start off by being insulting. Nice.

"First, I is well accepted that Autism characteristics is a set of genetic neurovariations which when a the proper combination and number and/or combined with other independent factors such as cognitive ability, injury or damages (ether in utero or post birth) or other diseases or genetic anomalies (such as downs syndrome) creates difficulties in areas of development and functioning in neurotypical society to the point where a group of indicative manifestation are adequate to the justify a diagnostic classification."

Almost everyone would agree that genes are a factor.

"Certainly vaccines may cause some “damage” in some individuals, and in a very limited number of cases may allow an individual to “step over the line” to a formal diagnosis, whether PDD, Autism, HFA, Aspergers or even some of the secondary alphabet soup classification like ADD, OCD, SID etc."

Very limited number? Now just how do you know it's a very limited number? How do YOU decide that? How do we know exactly how many children? It's impossible to say just one or two or twenty children have autism as a result but that it can't happen to others.

"The reality is that these individuals were already on the spectrum."

You DON'T know that. My daughter was not on the spectrum before she was vaccine-injured. Nobody in my family has ever had anything that ever resembled any kind of ASD. Other family members who received less vaccines also had vaccine injuries, but to a lesser extent.

"It is typically the ”curebees” who think of Autism as a disease that jump on every current fad for a “cause” of Autism and are looking for a “quick fix” or someone to blame."

You're making a lot of assumptions. Way to go with the personal judgements. As we address the medical issues that resulted from vaccine injury, my daughter is becoming physically healthier. But a funny thing is happening. She has far less "autistic" traits. Should I just stop what I'm doing and let her go back to being sick and in pain all the time and protect her "autistic" status?

"The study that was done to start this discussion was very poor even by Autism study standards (yes I have read the actual study) and some who were involve in its production and most who reviewed it had rescinded their opinions to a significant extend."

Wakefield's study was never supposed to be the be-all-and-end-all of autism studies.

"I have little tolerance for much of what the drug industry does, but in this case the risk benefit analysis is grossly in the favor of vaccination. This is especially true since even minor supports and accommodation can “offset” any potential damage that might occur except in the most extreme and damaging cases which using NT damage basis is extremely rare (in the 1/1,000,000+) range."

Oh how I wish "minor supports and accommodations" could have offset the damage that was done to my daughter. No, even "major" supports and accommodations had no effect. She could not even attend school. There was NO appropriate classroom for her, no matter what supports were in place.
I had to homeschool her. When we began addressing the vaccine damage, she needed less supports. We're able to eliminate many of her services. Her doctors and therapists are amazed. Try telling my daughter it's wrong. She loves the fact that she is recovering. Maybe some people like having autism. She doesn't.

Certainly vaccines may cause some “damage” in some individuals, and in a very limited number of cases may allow an individual to “step over the line” to a formal diagnosis, whether PDD, Autism, HFA, Aspergers or even some of the secondary alphabet soup classification like ADD, OCD, SID etc.

Are you suggesting that 1 in 150 is "a very limited number of cases"?

Oh, and by the way I am not looking for someone to blame, I am looking for the pharm companies to pony up and find a cure.

Beccabunny, for what it is worth the biggest improvement we saw was after she turned 11. It's like a lightbulb went off and our life has been somewhat easier. Hang in there

Just a question - when these medical cases go to court, are the judges also highly educated in the field of medicine and statistics? Or are they just expected to wade through all the sensational BS with no idea what the heck all of it means? Are they expected to just believe everything the 'experts' say?

Well, Schmeck, the special masters are supposed to be able to interpret the evidence, and sometimes they do, and other times their personal bias comes through. What sensational BS are you referring to? Is it just this case when the vaccine court decided in favor of the child? Did you think it was sensational bs when the same court ruled against three children recently?

Keylime, I'm thrilled to hear your daughter is doing well! (If that's her picture, by the way, she's gorgeous!) My daughter is making wonderful progress, but we have years of damage to undo, so we have a lot of work ahead of us. But life does get easier every day. Two years ago we would never have envisioned where she is now, because she had the best supports and services, and nothing worked until we started treating biomedically.

I work with preschoolers.

I spoke to a parent on Friday. She went to a Kindergarten "lunch" for her son (he receives speech services but will be discharged before K). She was told that there are 500 incoming kindergarteners. 190 of them have been diagnosed on the spectrum. :scared1:

I live in the district that she is talking about. It's an area where the services are known to be great and the taxes are very high (talking $18,000 a year for property taxes for the smallest house on the block).

So what is the next step? I don't believe the next step is continuing to argue about the autism/vaccine link.

And if we are going to talk about the Amish, you do realize that they have a small gene pool?????? (in comparison to the rest of the world)

So what is the next step? I don't believe the next step is continuing to argue about the autism/vaccine link.

Ignoring the autism/vaccine link is not going to do a thing to reduce the number of children with a diagnosis.

As for the Amish, their gene pool doesn't explain why they are now seeing cases of autism in the children that are vaccinated. Huge families, no autism until they started vaccinating.

The Amish may have large families, but the kids are all from the same two parents - parents that come from a very small gene pool - more like a puddle really.

My BS statement was for both sides of the argument - not taking sides here. Just wanted to know if the judges were educated in more than just law. I wouldn't know the first thing about the practice of law, as my college background is in bio/chem/physics/secondary and early childhood education. You could bamboozle me with all kinds of lawful BS, I'd have no idea if it was factual or twisted to favor one side. I'm thinking judges would be the same way about scientific research studies - how would they know that a study was properly done, completely unbiased, and not twisted by one side or the other? Who are the 'special masters' mentioned? Are they the 'expert witnesses' or someone appointed anonymously by the courts?

Do not know how I insulted you since I was referring on how superficially others reference and report on these issues, but if I did I apologies.

Like I said there are a very small number of individuals for whom the extent of the damage if serious, I cannot say if that included your daughter.

There was a major study across the pediatric population which involved 10,000+ individuals on the effects (damage) and the results were as stated, and since physiologically we have no applicable differential from neurotypicals the study has validity for individuals with the autistic gene set.

As a female it would be very unusual to see major indications for Aspergers or related co morbidities before the age of 5 or 6 and a significant number of girls only get diagnosed if they happen upon a highly trained clinical with lots of experience with girls. You did not state the age of your child at first autism characteristic development so it is hard to comment specifically.

You do not one day not have the gene set and the next have it, so even someone who is self adapting and shows no signs is still on the spectrum.

And physical health does have a major impact on self adaptive skills, even a bad cold can make managing the complexities of adaptation very difficult, I can only imagine how the level of physiological difficulties your daughter had affected her, she is apparently an amazingly resilient individual and you should be proud of her.

It is wonderful that you are making such great progress both physiologically and in providing the support so that she is able to adapt the characteristics to the societal world. She will always face the challenges that come along with being a nuerovariant, but the wonderful part is that along with the gene set comes some amazing abilities which you will enjoy nurturing. She has a much greater chance of “making a positive difference” in society that the average individual.

Again the curbee comment is one I bring up anytime when people think Autism is “caused” by something, as I said it may rise to diagnosable levels from other factors (such as vaccine damage) be the neurovariation was always there.

By your description if the “damage” was in all or part from vaccines then you would fall into to “extreme” area. I suspect that many of the services you made sure your daughter received would likely have been very beneficial even without the damage, since even for the best self adapters, self awareness and support are beneficial in societal adaptation.

Keylime359

What I am saying is that Austism is not a disease it is a neurovariation, so by definition there is no “cure”. There may be cures for some of the factors that contribute to the manifestations and that would be great!!

A lot of time and effort is wasted on the cure route, I just think it would be better applied to helping our children understand the nature of the neurovations and the challenges and gifts that come along with it and helping with the skills and supports to adapt to neurotypical society to the extent that they wish to.

Oh by the way I have lived and worked around members of the Amish community and while do not have good statistical data, they have lots of individuals (and always have) with Autism characteristics, the manifestation are often not a severe due to the societal differentials. I worked with one gentleman that had visual non-linear processing capabilities that way beyond even what I can do on my best day.

bookwormde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter