Got the Family Go-Ahead. Now what?!

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
We have stayed at SSR studio many times, and DD loves it. She wants to go back there. We can rent points for what equals 399.00 a night (last week of Feb. 2025). Total 1995.00. However, DH would prefer not to be locked in with the rental store again as it is very stressful that time of year with weather/illness looming. If we just reserve the room through Disney, the cost is 2485.00. I know there is a possibility of discounts being released winter of 2025, which we could apply, but who knows? DD loves the Paddock pool. She likes swimming there in the evening when it isn't as busy and using the slide over and over. DD does not like the big main pools because she has anxiety around a lot of people. For example, we stayed at OKW last year and she only used the main pool twice!!! I thought she would love it for the slide, but boy was I wrong. It was pretty sad.

I was considering POR with a woods view, 5th sleeper room because it is peaceful as it would be in the Bayou. I stayed there in the mansions as a kid. DD isn't a big fan of the boat but does love DS (hence SSR choice as we can walk).

We are going to escape the VT weather, go to the pool, walk in nature, have a day or two at the parks, and go to DS for food! POR 5th sleeper would be 1751.00. Are there areas of the main pool that are more wooded where we could have some peace from crowd? Is there any way to walk from POR to DS? We don't mind a walk ( I am sure if there is a path, it is closed at night). We did walk the path once from SSR to OKW and understand about animals that come out at night, haha!

We have also looked at DS hotels, but they seem kind of blah, and not any less expensive (300 plus). I looked at the Doubletree patio room because we like the balcony at SSR but reviews say their pool is run down. Thank you for any insight!!

Last edited:
We have stayed at POR many times and in the Bayou with 5th sleeper. The main pool is always very crowded (and we go in winter). But each area in the bayou has a small pool (no slide) and these are mostly empty and we love these.
There is no walk to DS but you can walk to FQ or take the boat to DS, and as it is a longer ride to DS maybe you will enjoy it. POR has lots of fun stuff, we love it.

As the PP mentioned, POR has quiet pools that are rarely crowded, especially during the day. They are very nice. Might be a good compromise. The board sponsor, DVC Rentals, does have sort of a cancellation policy. If you cancel within a certain time frame, you can get a credit for a future stay. The amount can vary, so do your research.

We were at POR at the end of February, it was a little on the chilly side so the main pool was pretty empty at night. The only people in it were kids (probably from the north, I would guess). It was princess race weekend though, so the hot tub was absolutely packed to the gills.

As the PP mentioned, POR has quiet pools that are rarely crowded, especially during the day. They are very nice. Might be a good compromise. The board sponsor, DVC Rentals, does have sort of a cancellation policy. If you cancel within a certain time frame, you can get a credit for a future stay. The amount can vary, so do your research.
Thanks. We are familiar with their cancellation policy with credit. I do remember the quiet pools from when I was a kid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter