Good walking shoe recommendations?

mom2jp

Earning My Ears
I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to wear sandals to DisneyWorld so I'm looking for a comfortable walking shoe. But I really hate tennis shoes as they get to feeling so hot, I'd prefer more of a lightweight sneaker. Are there any good lightweight walking shoes out there? Oh and I usually take a wide width! Thanks!

I wear my Born sandals just about everytime we go to WDW. We are going in late Nov/early Dec so I might have to try something else then, but I LOVE them. I have never had to use the moleskin nor have I had aching feet except once when I stayed in the parks 17 hours (EE combined with an E- night!) I think that then it was just sheer exhaustion and not the sandals! LOL

I bought a pr of Nike sneakers that are open in the back. They just have a strap around the back of your ankle. They have no ties, just slip on and off. I wore these constantly when we were in Disney. They are the best investment I ever made. Now that the fall styles are in you can probably even get them on sale. I got mine at Foot Locker but you can probably find them at any sneaker store.:smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :bounce:

I bought a pair of Asics. They are lightweight and give a lot of support. They are so cushoined in the sole that I felt like I could bounce through WDW!!

I am not sure if they still make them(I bought a few pairs for $15) last year. They are very sandal-like and are the most comfortable I have ever had. If you can get them, it wil e worth the investment. I know they make them for men and women!

I just bought a pair of New Balance 991, as I have arthritis in my feet..they are wonderful. Walked with them on for hours straight at the state fair yesterday.

I have never been able to wear sandals...until this summer when I bought a pair of Easy Spirit sandals. I have worn them all summer and they are without a doubt the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. I'm definitely packing them for our next trip.

My mom swears by Clark's sandals- They are pretty comfortable - but pricey-

I love Rockports - For ten years now I have bought them and haven't had a complaint.

New Balance walking shoes!!! Go to a store that specializes in this brand and have a knowledgeable clerk fit you--you will not be disappointed!

I totally recommend a high tech walking sandal. I have a pair of men's rockport walking sandals, but there are many to choose from. Hot sweaty feet are the worst in my opinion, and having to wear socks with tennis shooes just adds to the heat and friction.

I am eyeing a pair of running sandals that are available now and I believe they are made by Ecco.(Yes, made for long distance running)

If sore feet will ruin you trip, than an investment in a super comfortable pair of shoes will be worth it (although the running sandals that I have had my eye on are around $100)

On our last 12 day trip, I was the only one without blisters the whole trip. The rest of my family refused to go to the sporting goods store to try on sandals. They will before the next trip!

With sandals, no wet squishy shoes!!!!!

Do you live in an area that sells Saucony brand? I used to, I also take a wide width usually, but those felt great. Really wish I could still get them.

Thank you for all your tips! I just bought a pair of Tevas and just love them, but I am going to check out New Balance and Saucony when I get back!

Just got 2 pairs of Ecco sandals for 75% off at Dillards if you have a Dillards near you. Ecco's are GREAT walking sandals. I also got a pair of Joseph Seibel walking shoes on sale- also great and very lightweight!

Adidas makes a new running shoe called Climacool. They are supposed to keep your feet 20% cooler than a regular running shoe. They are also a great walking shoe. They have vents on all sides of your feet to prevent moisture. I can't believe that any sandal would provide proper support when a person is walking 6-12 miles a day.

You can buy these shoes for about $65.

Originally posted by mom2jp
I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to wear sandals to DisneyWorld so I'm looking for a comfortable walking shoe. But I really hate tennis shoes as they get to feeling so hot, I'd prefer more of a lightweight sneaker. Are there any good lightweight walking shoes out there? Oh and I usually take a wide width! Thanks!

While I personally dislike sandals (barefoot or sneakers, no in between for me!) there are a number of 'sport' sandals on the market specifically designed for the outdoorsy types who like to have cool feet while out hiking. Some of the names have been mentioned in this thread already. Unlike your typical 'Sandal', they seem to be more like a sneaker without a full upper, and unless they're leather, would have the benefit of being usable in water.

As to sneakers, I'd have to second New Balance as an option, given that you wear wide widths. Both wifey-poo and I have fred flintstone feet and NB is the only major manufacturer who makes Wide (D), EE, EEE, and EEEE as part of their regular production line. None of the others seem to offer anything better than Wide.

We prefer the 545 (whatever the walking shoe model is called), which comes in both white and black, and looks like a sneaker...not one of those stupid neon 'fashion' things that seem so popular with teens.

If you go with sneakers, do a search on the boards for Thorlo's socks....there's a ton of posts about them and their merits, and they'd help keep feet good by keeping them drier.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Originally posted by jmminarik
We prefer the 545 (whatever the walking shoe model is called

I'm actually wearing mine now...they're model 572's. CR's report rates the 573's.

-joe

If you prefer sandals, don't switch to sneakers now! Yes, your feet will feel hot and sweaty. The good thing is that as others have stated, there are tons of well-engineered walking sandals on the market now which are great for walking.

I did the Straprunners. I love them! One comment is for some reason they retain foot odor, which is a problem I've never had with other shoes. Must be the high tech poofy pattern on the inside. They are great for walking but you have to soak them in water occasionally because they get stinky. Sorry if this is too much info but this was a new problem for me!

Whatever you buy, buy EARLY and break them in before you go.

SANDELS ARE GREAT I HAVE A PAIR OF MEPHISTO SHARKS THE MOST COMFORTABLE FOOT WEAR I HAVE EVER BOUGHT , A LITTLE SPENDY BUT THE CO. WILL REBUILD THEM FOR A SMALL FEE. FOR SNEAKERS I HAVE NB 851 WALKING SNEAKERS IT'S ALL IN BEING COMFORTABLE AT THE PARKS:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter