Going to the park with shoulder injury

galligan4

Mouseketeer
Hello. My DH just had rotator cuff surgery and I am trying to decide if we should go to WDW in June. He had a complete tear. He will be out of the sling and it will be about 3+ months after survery by that date. He thinks it will be fine. He loves ALL the rides at the parks, but I am super worried. Thoughts would be great!
thanks

To state the obvious, only his Dr can really advise. I'm not a Dr, nor do I play on on the DIS Boards - but that won't stop me. :)

I suspect he will be just fine. I"m sure he's doing rehab right now that will strengthen the damaged tissue. He should just listen to his shoulder and do what feels right at the time.

I would check with his doctor as to what his limitation would be at that point.
I would be concerned about lifting suitcases, putting things in overhead bins on the plane if flying.
Getting bounced and thrown around on different rides.
I suspect he would need to be careful about what he rides. And just getting bumped into walking through a crowded park.

Definitely check with your DH’s doc. I had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago and as long as I stuck with my stretching and strengthening program, my shoulder felt good. Also check with the OT/PT if he’s still doing rehab at that point. Obviously YMMV, but I was cleared of all restrictions by the 3-mo mark, but everyone’s recovery is different. Good luck to DH in his rehab—mine was certainly painful at times😁

I had a similar surgery in 2023 and went to Universal not long after. Forgot that I would be unable to get off of rides where I had to push myself up using my arms/shoulders as support. Almost had to be dragged off their log ride. Everything else was fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter