Giving "Kudos" where "Kudos" are due...Quick 2019 DL Trip Recap

AggieDizzer

Mouseketeer
Let me get this out of the way:

I love Disneyland.

I love the hotels, Downtown Disney, the esplanade, the sights, the sounds, all of it. So it's safe to say that when I have the chance to head out west, my rose-colored Disney glasses are firmly in place. There are a LOT of things that I may overlook - rude guests (frequent), dirty bathrooms (rare), attractions down (it happens), bad food (never!)...in fact, things that I am sure would prompt a "RANT" thread from some are, to me, worth barely a shrug. So yeah, maybe I am not the most objective.

I wasn't always this way. Being a life-long 'World fan, I wasn't sure how I would take to 'Land when I made my first visit a couple years ago. I didn't think there was any way that DL could stand toe-to-toe with the grand Magic Kingdom. I didn't think it could match MK's breathtaking castle, it's immensity, it's overpowering Disney-ness. Well, I stand before you as a convert. I've been back about half a dozen times since then and it never gets old. Disneyland is now, without question, my favorite stateside park, and it isn't that close.

Case in point: I had the chance to stay at the DLR a couple weeks ago while out west for business. When I checked in to the hotel, the first question I was asked was "Sir, would you like to be upgraded to a concierge-level room?" Why, yes! Yes I would. I had never seen the E-ticket lounge, and it was a cool "plus" that I was not expecting. After hearing "horror-sorties" about cast member interactions, I am always on the lookout for the negative-nelly who would seemingly be anywhere else than where they are. Happily, I have not yet had ONE cast-member interaction that would fall into that category. In fact, since the opposite has so often proved to be true - cast members who are exceedingly friendly, pleasant to deal with, and seem to really care about the guests and what they are doing - that I have just about given up the search. So my first "Kudos" goes to: CAST MEMBERS.

I was aware in advance of my trip that there would be some work going on in the parks. This wasn't my first rodeo (a little Texas humor for you there :-) so I knew what I was in for. Yes, the castle was covered in scrim - but I thought they at least made an effort with the nicely-themed construction walls, and the decorative facades on the scrim itself. Yes, the pools were down for refurbishment. And yes, Galaxy's Edge was constantly taunting (tauntin? Taunton? Anyone?) me from just beyond the Disneyland Railroad. I mean, it's RIGHT THERE!!!!!

But all in all, I didn't find the construction work or the changes being made in the park during my visit to be intrusive or distracting. And of course, the attractions that were up and running - including my personal favorites, Pirates, Mansion, and Indy - were just fine. Now granted it was not my first trip to the park, so some who may have planned months in advance to visit only to find the castle covered in scrim may have been disappointed. I get that. I hope they can come back on a day when everything is 100% perfect and nothing goes wrong!

Anyway, time for another kudos. Dude, the food at DL is AWESOME. On this trip, I had coffee and a light breakfast in the E-ticket Lounge (which was decent, continental-style fare. Not notable except for the Mickey-shaped watermelon bites!). During the day I ate at Bengal BBQ, The Tropical Hideaway, Red Rose Taverne, and Jolly Holiday Bakery. I wrapped up my trip the next day with a delicious lunch and drinks (Tangaroa Cooler!!) at Trader Sam's. And as far as great food at DL, my experience barely scratches the surface. But it was great nonetheless. "Kudos" #2: DL FOOD SERVICE.

Let me wrap up this glowing review by saying that I wish I knew how to include pictures because I was able to get some pretty great shots out there. Maybe when I earn my ears! But all in all, it was a great time. I've had some memorable trips out West, and I can honestly say I have had nothing but positive experiences that leave me happy when the trip is over and eager to go back. I hope that Galaxy's Edge doesn't change the park - it will, but hopefully not for the worse - because I have to admit. I love 'Land.

I hope all the other tourists who visit the park from time to time like me enjoy the good vibes and memorable experiences I have been blessed with. And I am totally jealous that the team is heading out there! I wish I could be with them too!!

Thanks for reading. And remember....GO TO DISNEYLAND!!

PS....fellow 'Worlders...I love WDW too, and in fact have a trip planned for June (staying at Old Key West!!) that I am over-the-moon excited about. But there's something about DL that is so, dare I say, magical? It's so much fun to compare the parks, and still love them warts-and-all. I'm sure my perspective will change again when I make it to the Japan parks...someday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter