• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Give me your top 3 tips

ShannyMcB

DIS Veteran
Just booked a couple days at UO for summer 2024 (ssshhh don't tell my kids). DH and I have not been since 2010 (or 2011) and this will be our first time there with our kids, ages 12, 9 and almost 6 when we are there. We are staying at RPR so will have express pass. Going mid-August for 2 Park days then transferring to WDW.

Give me your top three UO travel tips! Any topic is appreciated!

Just booked a couple days at UO for summer 2024 (ssshhh don't tell my kids). DH and I have not been since 2010 (or 2011) and this will be our first time there with our kids, ages 12, 9 and almost 6 when we are there. We are staying at RPR so will have express pass. Going mid-August for 2 Park days then transferring to WDW.

Give me your top three UO travel tips! Any topic is appreciated!
1) Stay aware of the weather. If there is lighting like 20 miles away much of Islands of Adventure closes down. If you anticipate storms coming through it's best to be in Studios.

2) If you want the Simpson's GIANT pink donut, don't wait in the inevitable long line out side at the donut shop, they sell them inside the Convenience Store.

3) Don't miss out on some really cool stuff in "Harry Potter World" even if they aren't in to it. I bet the first 6 times I went I didn't know anything about it but loved it. Once I saw the movies it was better. Go in every shop and look up, the details are incredible, in Diagon Alley don't miss all the cool stuff down the back alley - my DS had been several times and never saw until I showed him.

Last trip with entire family DH had never been. He didn't know anything about HP so the two of us sat and one a night watch all the movies before we left. It really did make a big difference once there.

We just got back! here's my tips off the top of my head!

1- Don't skip the shows! My 13 year old and I LOVED the Bourne Stuntacular and ESPECIALLY the Horror Makeup Show. He is still talking about that one and says it's the favorite thing he did on our whole week-long trip!

2- If you or anyone you're with has any issues with motion sickness you may have some problems as most of the rides that aren't roller coasters are essentially VR with screens. I have a pretty hard time with that so I always re-up my prescription of Transderm-Scop patches and make sure I put one on the night before I am in the parks. It helps.

3- Not sure if you got the park to park passes but I love having them for the train ride alone. It's like a ride in and of itself.

HAVE FUN!! Universal is easy and so laid back, not like Disney at all. And with Express passes even if it's super crowded the lines are not an issue. We did have to leave mid-day and come back at night to get away from the heat and crowds so don't be afraid to take that break. That is one thing that I think Disney has on Universal is the ease of mobile ordering. there was one day we wanted to eat in the park at lunchtime and literally every single place was like an hour wait and it was sweltering hot.

1. Get park-hoppers it is incredibly easy to go between the parks. Travel time from one park to another is minimal

2. Bumblebee Man's Tacco truck is really good food, as are the banana icee near King Kong, and Florean Fortescue's ice-cream

3. Rides can be more intense than WDW, so take any issues with drops, motion sickness, motion simulators, coasters, into consideration. (Most of the thrill rides have a show nearby. I am a ride coward who travels with a thrill seeker. The Blues Brothers show is near the Mummy ride.)

1. The water rides in Toon Lagoon will get you soaked - do not underestimate the level of wetness. You can wring out your panties after. They are a lot of fun though, just plan accordingly (break at hotel after, change of clothes, general willingness to walk around dripping afterwards with understanding that AC indoors is freezing when soaked).

2. You can bring your phone or anything else that fits in your pockets on any locker ride except for the 3 metal detector coasters.

3. If you want to eat in CityWalk for dinner, reservations are a good idea. Especially the more popular places (Big Fire, Toothsome, Cowfish), park closing times, or weekends. You can cancel/change reservations as needed, so no harm in making one then changing your mind later. Also don't be afraid to plan a lunch at CityWalk, it's so easy to wander out for a nice relaxed mid-day AC meal break. Though there are worthwhile restaurants in the parks too, of course.

1. You can fill your own personal water bottles (metal or store bought plastic ones) for free at most of the Coke Freestyle machines in the parks. If you prefer water to soda, this will save a TON of money.

2. If you would prefer a leisurely breakfast in your room before heading over to the parks, take advantage of a grocery delivery service like Instacart or others. We get continental breakfast style items and some goodies/snacks for night time. I buy a box of K cups and a quart of half and half for the Keurig to save on buying coffees. Again, this saves money over frequent trips to the grab 'n go in the hotels.

3. I always make online reservations ahead of time for the sit down restaurants for dinner. I did this even before Covid when they really weren't necessary. It's simple to cancel if you change your mind and want to do something else, but it's nice to know you won't be turned away or have a long wait.

4. Wimpy's Burger in Toon Lagoon at IOA sells Dole Whip, as does Schwab's Pharmacy in US, and Menchie's Frozen Yogurt in CitiWalk.

1. go to doctor for a prescription for scopolamine patches if you get any motion sickness. I can ride almost everything now with them. Without them, I can't do a simple swing on a swing set.
2. I have a bathing suit that looks more like shorts/tank top and my kid wears a water shirt and swim trunks one afternoon -- and we do all the water rides during that time. Then, since staying close, can change after. So, enjoy being wet without freaking out about it.
3. If you can... I would do Universal after Disney. You'll be so spoiled with how easy it is to navigate Universal that Disney will seem stressful.

1. Quick service ice water cups. I'm old enough to chafe at the idea of a $5 bottle of water.

2. Plan your itinerary smartly: Pace yourself on park days and do things you didn't plan; take afternoon breaks; take a day off if you're there for more than five days.

3. Don't plan too much on your first day, and definitely no non-refundable meals. Arrival always takes more time than you think it will, and running out of steam on your first day there will make it difficult to catch up during the entire stay.

Last edited:
If you want a relaxed vacation (instead of hectic):
1. Don't go to Disney...not Disney bashing (love it, just doesn't fall into my relaxing category).

2. Focus on your 6 year old. If your 12 year old is responsible enough, let them and the 9 year old have their adventurous time alone (well, sorta). Set rules with frequent check-ins, but they can feel independent and have a great time. Spend time with the 6 year old, as they are not going to be able to do as much and they are going to love the focused attention, as much as the others will enjoy a bit of freedom. Camp Jurassic is one of the best places you can hang with and have fun with all of them.

3. Stay more than two days. Two days is still going to be a bit frantic, if you wanna cram in a lot.

With only 2 days and being your first trip, you'll have to prioritize what you will want to do. It just isn't possible to do everything (rides, shows, sightseeing, etc). Even after multiple trips spanning multiple years, we still manage to find new things.

1. Hagrids and Velocicoaster do not take EP, so you best bet is to go 30 minutes before rope drop to avoid long lines

2. Even with EP, you can get a lot done during EE. We typically go in early to a park to do rides in the morning (especially when it is hot), head back to the resort after lunch for a nap, and then hit the parks again

3. Visit Camp Jurassic in IOA (https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/camp-jurassic/). We didn't find about about it until our 3rd year visiting, but now try and stop in on every trip. It is a fun play area for all ages and can be a great way to avoid the heat.

With only 2 days and being your first trip, you'll have to prioritize what you will want to do. It just isn't possible to do everything (rides, shows, sightseeing, etc). Even after multiple trips spanning multiple years, we still manage to find new things.

1. Hagrids and Velocicoaster do not take EP, so you best bet is to go 30 minutes before rope drop to avoid long lines

2. Even with EP, you can get a lot done during EE. We typically go in early to a park to do rides in the morning (especially when it is hot), head back to the resort after lunch for a nap, and then hit the parks again

3. Visit Camp Jurassic in IOA (https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/camp-jurassic/). We didn't find about about it until our 3rd year visiting, but now try and stop in on every trip. It is a fun play area for all ages and can be a great way to avoid the heat.

I thought Velocicoaster took EP now? Or was that a limited thing?

Top 3 are hard.....
1. Get familiar with the app and maps and layouts of the parks. Talk before hand about what everyone might want to ride. Sometimes there are shutdowns, weather delays, someone changes mind last minute, etc. so good to have some contingency plans. Have the kids pick some of their must dos and must avoids
2. eat at off times, but especially in the evening. It's not like 60 day out disney planning, but having some sort of plan is a good idea. trying to walk up to City walk restaurants for supper will prove very difficult. Review the menus ahead of time, so you're not roaming around with hangry kids.
3. Accept and expect that Universal is not Disney, and that's fine and dandy. Different vibes, and both are wonderful! More of a PG kinda place at Universal
4. Yes, do the must do rushing as soon as possible, to leave time to take in the ambiance of the place, get a butterbeer, and sit and wizard watch, or explore the alleys, do some character meets. They are super fun and surprising. Find some Easter eggs in Diagon alley. get that interactive wand and some unique snacks.

We had our first universal trip in February!

1. Park to park tickets are worth it (and we never park hop at WDW). We all got tired of the screen simulator rides. Taking advantage of park hopping helped us break those up and made them more enjoyable.

2. You can get free water from any of the drink machines! You don’t have to purchase the refillable cup. You can refill your own.

3. Mobile order food when possible!

3. Mobile order food when possible!
This worked really well on a crowded Epcot evening at Karamell-Kuche. When the line stretched around the building, a mobile order placed while walking over got us in and out in less than five minutes.

The only potential downside to mobile ordering is that you can't charge to your resort room. You can use a GC. however, so if you have the number saved on your device you can just do a quick copy/paste for payment.

Last edited:
This worked really well on a crowded Epcot evening at Karamell-Kuche. When the line stretched around the building, a mobile order placed while walking over got us in and out in less than five minutes.

The only potential downside to mobile ordering is that you can't charge to your resort room. You can use a GC. however, so if you have the number saved on your device you can just do a quick copy/paste for payment.
At UO, you cannot use a gift card for mobile order payment… only a credit card tied to the account unless it’s changed in the last week.

Take in the theming of all the areas. It really is amazing. One evening we were in the NY area of The studios side and it was so pretty all lit up. It looked like old NYC! The Harry Potter areas are amazing. I felt like I was in the movie.

Try everything once if you can handle it. You never know what you are going to really enjoy. And really look around when in line. There are some awesome queues in the parks.

If you like to meet characters, the ones at Universal are a blast to meet. Beetlejuice had me in a hug and was going to run off with me, Woody Woodpecker danced me around, we had a great time interacting with the Scooby Doo gang and my husband was in heaven with Marilyn Monroe and Lucy fawning over him!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter