Gift for Dad having a tough year?

ali2083

Mouseketeer
I'm at a loss with this one, so please share your thoughts.

My Dad lost his house to foreclosure this year. He's been living between two family members houses since then and we don't expect him in his own place anytime soon. I'm struggling with what to get him for Christmas. He spent a lot of time working on his house so I usually gave him Home Depot gift cards. I'm considering a Dunkin Donuts gift card or Walmart, but I worry what he'll buy at Walmart as careless spending is how he got into this.

I prefer not to go over $50 myself. Thanks!!

I'm at a loss with this one, so please share your thoughts.

My Dad lost his house to foreclosure this year. He's been living between two family members houses since then and we don't expect him in his own place anytime soon. I'm struggling with what to get him for Christmas. He spent a lot of time working on his house so I usually gave him Home Depot gift cards. I'm considering a Dunkin Donuts gift card or Walmart, but I worry what he'll buy at Walmart as careless spending is how he got into this.

I prefer not to go over $50 myself. Thanks!!

As someone with careless spending parents too, I will share my advice with you.:angel:

When it comes to gifts allow yourself to "not worry". I know, easier said than done but it is doable. You have to force yourself. ;)

I alternate between gas or restaurant cards. This yr. however we bought gifts.

We got my mother-in-law a number of certificates to places she likes to eat at but, since she's on a limited budget, can't do as often as she'd like -- Cracker Barrel, Panera, Starbucks.

OP, if you are extremely concerned that your Dad will "squander" $50 at WalMart, don't give him a gift card of any kind. If he needs socks, underwear, toiletries or whatever else you think he "ought" to have, just buy those things and wrap them up. Don't include a gift receipt! ;)

I don't agree with you OP or anyone else so far. Your Dad surely realizes he made decisions that got him into this situation. He probably feels like an idiot and is under more stress than he shows. It's $50. It won't change his living situation. It's a gift, not an opportunity to treat him like a child and teach him something. Who cares if he blows it on something frivolous to you. I would get a $50 bill and put it in a " love my Dad " Christmas card.

I don't agree with you OP or anyone else so far. Your Dad surely realizes he made decisions that got him into this situation. He probably feels like an idiot and is under more stress than he shows. It's $50. It won't change his living situation. It's a gift, not an opportunity to treat him like a child and teach him something. Who cares if he blows it on something frivolous to you. I would get a $50 bill and put it in a " love my Dad " Christmas card.

I agree let him spend it as he wished. You yourself don't know what to get him so he doesn't have a need for something. Let him be happy with a gift with no strings. Really these days does $50. go that far.

I think christmas gift cards are your time to be frivolous and care free. :confused3 So I think maybe a favorite restaurant or starbucks. A place maybe he doesn't get to go to anymore.

I'm in the corner of gifts not being "lessons". However...

Is there an inexpensive diner or family restaurant that he likes to frequent? If so, could you buy him, say 5 $10 g.c. to it, so he could get five meals there? We have an older male, single relative who is sort of the same way, and this is what we do for him, so we know he's getting a number of hot (if basic) meals at a place he likes.

Terri

Thank you all for the suggestions!! I want him to have a good Christmas without worrying. I think I'm going to get some essential items and a small gift card for his favorite restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter