Gideon’s Bakehouse Unfair Working Conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this on (only one) Disney news site. The pay, equipment cleanliness, and fire escape issues seem particularly egregious.

The staff at Gideon’s Bakehouse are contractually tipped employees, making $8.98/hour plus tips per Florida minimum wage laws. However, company policy, changed in early 2024, now prohibits the solicitation of tips.

Previously, the employees were allowed to prompt customers with phrases such as, “If you’d like to leave a tip, anything is appreciated.” Per the current staff, the policy was updated during a May 6 meeting, and they are no longer allowed to mention tips. A tip jar is not permitted to be labeled or in guest view. One employee reported income losses of over $400 per pay period after the policy change.
Gideon’s Bakehouse is adjacent to a fire alley in Disney Springs, but it is not accessible. The staff reported that during construction, it was never connected via door or stairs, unlike neighboring venues such as The Ganachery. The kitchen has a wall of ovens but only one entrance/exit, causing the staff to be concerned about safety in the event of a fire.
The kitchen at Gideon’s Bakehouse reportedly has a traditional three-sink sanitation station, but the employees said the baking sheets used by the company do not fit in the sinks. As such, they have been trained to spray the sheets with a sanitizer and wipe them down. They claim that the baking sheets have not been washed using the sanitation station or dishwasher.
These are all Big Yikes.

I was just reading this too - very sad to hear if true. I did not realize that staff there would make tipped wages. Usually places like that make actual minimum wage. The saftery issues are concering too. I have wondered why they are such a small location - that's of course no reason to not meet proper standards for safety and accessibility. Of course, there may be another side to the story, but considering the popularity of this place - and I am a fan - this one's going to blow-up.

The problem is, Gideon's is classifying their workers as tipped employees but hiding any ability for customers to tip.

Technically speaking, tipped employees are still required to get full minimum wage--if tips don't meet the threshold (by your provided link, currently $12/hr) then the employer has to make up the difference to ensure they're making minimum wage equivalent for hours worked. Legally, anyway--I've heard horror stories from folks at places like Dunkin (franchisee-owned) where they don't get enough tips and still don't get paid out properly.

When you hide the tipping option, you're disincentivizing good service. It's a weird business move imo.

This is very concerning. Gideons is on our must-do list every visit. We'll see what additional information comes out between now and our trip in June.

The problem is, Gideon's is classifying their workers as tipped employees but hiding any ability for customers to tip.

Technically speaking, tipped employees are still required to get full minimum wage--if tips don't meet the threshold (by your provided link, currently $12/hr) then the employer has to make up the difference to ensure they're making minimum wage equivalent for hours worked. Legally, anyway--I've heard horror stories from folks at places like Dunkin (franchisee-owned) where they don't get enough tips and still don't get paid out properly.

When you hide the tipping option, you're disincentivizing good service. It's a weird business move imo.
Agreed. If caught doing as claimed they will face local, state and federal scrutiny.

So I have to ask... why keep working there? They're not putting up with deplorable conditions because they're making top dollar. It's not like there is any lack of jobs available right in the area.

I know in my area there are plenty of places are listing as hiring but doesn't mean you'll actually pass through whatever screening program said employers are using for incoming applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter