Genie+ at DLR starting on 12/8

So far the hours for NYE are 8am-2am. We've never been either. Trying to decide if we want to be the crazy people who stay up until 2am and then stroll in late the next day or the sensible ones who leave at 8pm/dinner in DTD and RD for NYD.

Ha ha. We have tried it both ways. NYE hours in the past have been 8am-2am for Disneyland and 8am-1am for DCA. I do believe the parks open a bit later the next morning. The kids were just too little to last one year so we were back in our room at 8pm one NYE but right there for the rope drop the next morning. When the kids were older, we went back and did NYE past midnight a few times. We always used to stay in DCA where it was less intense. There would be a brief fireworks show and/or World of Color at midnight. No World of Color this year though.

If anyone is interested in how Genie + became the monster it is this is a must watch. I learned a lot.

WHOA. After the number of re-posts on this thread, I bookmarked it. Just finished and mind blown. What a cool video. Hands down we are in the “friends of the monster who stripping hotel perks has not affected their hotel capacity” group.😂 Loved it. Plus now I have to go back through and pause the video to catch all the extra fast hilarious parts. I totally want to read that “Dear Nerds” part!!

BTW, are you in the video? There was a Dis Dad clip. :)

I am genuinely sorry for folks who were affected by this mess today.

Even if the system had not gone down, it just seems overly complex and prone to guest confusion. The Genie branding is cute but I can't believe the tiers and names made it past the very early scope meetings. Genie, Genie+, Lightening Lane, Individual Lightening Lane. Good luck to the casual visitors and have a magical day!

That said, I have very little doubt DLR/TDA will get it worked out in the long run. If people don't like it, or if it doesn't sell, I think they will change or fix it. :thumbsup2

I am genuinely sorry for folks who were affected by this mess today.

Even if the system had not gone down, it just seems overly complex and prone to guest confusion. The Genie branding is cute but I can't believe the tiers and names made it past the very early scope meetings. Genie, Genie+, Lightening Lane, Individual Lightening Lane. Good luck to the casual visitors and have a magical day!

That said, I have very little doubt DLR/TDA will get it worked out in the long run. If people don't like it, or if it doesn't sell, I think they will change or fix it. :thumbsup2
I agree that the naming conventions are horrible. It’s so confusing! And they really missed out on the opportunity to call the pay-per-ride “Lightspeed Lane” 🤷‍♀️

WHOA. After the number of re-posts on this thread, I bookmarked it. Just finished and mind blown. What a cool video. Hands down we are in the “friends of the monster who stripping hotel perks has not affected their hotel capacity” group.😂 Loved it. Plus now I have to go back through and pause the video to catch all the extra fast hilarious parts. I totally want to read that “Dear Nerds” part!!

BTW, are you in the video? There was a Dis Dad clip. :)
Glad you liked. I am sure a lot of people saw such a long video and passed but I thoroughly enjoy his videos.
No not me and I missed that part about DisDads; I am going to rewatch now. I am just a guy who is a theme park history nerd and watches a lot of documentaries on stuff that my family thinks is stupid and probably won’t matter in the end 🤣
Like I said I learned a lot. And I consider myself pretty versed in Disney Park stuff even after being a cast member at DLR I never thought about a line like that.

Wait. There’s lightning lane and INDIVIDUAL lightening lane? Just when I thought I had this figured out …. What’s the difference?

Wait. There’s lightning lane and INDIVIDUAL lightening lane? Just when I thought I had this figured out …. What’s the difference?
Lightning Lane is like Fastpass and comes with Genie+ price. You can only use it once per LL attraction
Individual Lightning Lane is Fastpass for select attractions, but with an additional fee than can change day to day ($7-$20)
Disneyland Rise of the Resistance $20 per guest per day
DCA: Web Slingers $7 per guest per day. Racers $ 7 per guest per day

Lightning Lane is like Fastpass and comes with Genie+ price. You can only use it once per LL attraction
Individual Lightning Lane is Fastpass for select attractions, but with an additional fee than can change day to day ($7-$20)
Disneyland Rise of the Resistance $20 per guest per day
DCA: Web Slingers $7 per guest per day. Racers $ 7 per guest per day

thank you. So I think I finally get it.

Genie is basically just a new version of the old app with wait times and mechanism to place mobile orders;
Genie + is the new Maxpass only more expensive with fewer perks;

There is no longer any “Fastpass” system that doesn’t involve an extra charge;

Individual Lightening Lane has the dumbest name ever, and is basically just extortion;

and

None of this works as well as the old Fastpass/Maxpass options.

GOT IT.

thank you. So I think I finally get it.

Genie is basically just a new version of the old app with wait times and mechanism to place mobile orders;
Genie + is the new Maxpass only more expensive with fewer perks;

There is no longer any “Fastpass” system that doesn’t involve an extra charge;

Individual Lightening Lane has the dumbest name ever, and is basically just extortion;

and

None of this works as well as the old Fastpass/Maxpass options.

GOT IT.

This is the most accurate and succinct explanation of the new system as I've seen to date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter