Gay Day?

matocody1997

Mouseketeer
We are considering the first weekend of June for our next trip to WDW and I just discovered that is "gay day." I was wondering what other people's experiences were during this event. What are the crowd levels like? I'm also concerned about what my 8 year old son will see while there. I don't think we are ready for the "birds and the bees" discussion yet. What days are the parks crowded with people for gay day and what parks do they usually go to? I hope I don't offend anyone with this question, as that is certainly not my intention. I'm just trying to avoid crowds, if possible, and any uncomfortable situations with my son.

there is a "Gay and Lesbian at Disney" Forum here at the DIS. Most say that the day is celebrated at the Magic Kingdom and to avoid it that day. Some of those that went to the MK that day say you couldn't tell anything was going on. some said they noticed a few "public displays of affection" but their kids didn't see it. I gather that it is crowded that day and the celebrants all wear red.

I say, check out the forum, and if that isn't enough info, do a search at the top of the page and see what others say.

You are bound to get quite a range of replies to this one, and you may want to do a search on Gay Days for an idea of some of what is likely to be said here. :rolleyes:

My family have been to Disney nearly every year while Gay Pride week is underway and have never, in all those years, seen anything you wouldn't see at your local mall or any time you are out in public. You aren't likely to be visitng Pleasure Island with your 4 year old, so that isn't going to be an issue. You certainly aren't going to see anyone attempting to act out 'the birds and the bees' dance in the parks.

The crowds at Magic Kingdom on the Gay Pride week Saturday will be significantly increased, but that is the only 'structured' day organised by the group (remember, it isn't a Disney sanctioned event). Avoid the Saturday and you're likely to find crowds similar to those you would have at the parks on a moderately busy week in April/May.

Hopefully all further replies will stick to the questions you are asking. Let's keep it helpful and respectful and this thread has a good chance of remaining open. :teeth:

AJKMOM said:
there is a "Gay and Lesbian at Disney" Forum here at the DIS. Most say that the day is celebrated at the Magic Kingdom and to avoid it that day. Some of those that went to the MK that day say you couldn't tell anything was going on. some said they noticed a few "public displays of affection" but their kids didn't see it. I gather that it is crowded that day and the celebrants all wear red.

I say, check out the forum, and if that isn't enough info, do a search at the top of the page and see what others say.

I agree...utilize the new forum...

and having said that I will also add that we've been twice during the first weekend in June...once when DS was 7 and last June when he'd just turned 13...both trips were just great! We did not observe anything that DS had no business seeing. I'm actually looking at the dates for our next trip.

Crowd levels? The first trip (1999) seemed more crowded than the one last June, but anytime there is a large group heading to one of the parks, the crowds will increase.

Trying to avoid uncomfortable situations for your DS...probably if Mom and Dad aren't uncomfortable then it will be the same for DS...that has been our experience for DS when ever we deal with anything.

As for wearing the red...honestly...it never seemed like there was a lot on either trip...or maybe we just didn't see it. What we did see was people who love WDW having magical times at the world...individuals, couples, and families...

I know there are a couple of websites that will list the schedule of events put on by the organizing groups...not WDW...separate groups that sponsor the events which happen to be things like going to the MK...I just can't remember which is the more "official" one...so I'd say go to the Gay and Lesbian Forum and ask for some info.

I hope you have a great trip...whenever you go.

I am a seasonal passholder & my kids get out of school the end of May. Every year I end up there during Gay Days & it has never bothered any of us. My kids are now 13, 17 & 19. The 19 yr old one didn't come this past year, other than that, all 3 of my kids have been with me. The day they are at the MK, I do not go. Not because it is Gay Day there, but because it is a Sat and I usually try to stay away from the MK on Sat since that seems to be the most crowded day. I may go early am & then leave.
Once when we were at the Prime Outlets (one just off I-4 near Disney), my son witnessed 2 men in the bathroom doing what they should not be doing in any public place... no it wasn't Disney's fault & had nothing to do with Disney. I know many parents do not want to have to "explain" why there are 2 men/women holding hands but at some time you will have to explain it to your children. Honestly, Disney is about the best place to do it at. You will even encounter some with their "own" children. If you want your child to grow up without fear or hate for that type of lifestyle, you do need to explain what it is about. I have done it with my children & hope that they will have my attitude about it. It is a part of life, no different that hetero.... just my 2 cents. I have gay friends & they are no different than me (other than thier partner preference), they have feelings too.

My family and I will be arriving on the actual gay day. We wont be attending MK that day just to be cautious. I have seen pictures and it seems there a lot of people in red. Idk if we are overreacting or not, but we live in the buckle of the bible belt in Oklahoma and are very sheltered. I think it is up to your family and how well your family would handle it. :earsboy:

It's no big deal just aviod MK on I think it's usally Saturday crowd are just crazy.People make a huge deal out of this I'm more concerned with the behavior of teens at the parks and explaining that to my kids.

We have been to WDW the last 2 years during this time and have had absolutlely no problems. Like mentioned earlier, you don't see anything that you don't see you the local mall. And we avoid MK on saturday because all the guide books say that is statistically the most crowded day during the summer. Our DS 6 has never noticed anything that needs explaining, he's normally to busy looking for the next attraction to actually notice that there are even people every where.

ryley26 said:
It's no big deal just aviod MK on I think it's usally Saturday crowd are just crazy.People make a huge deal out of this I'm more concerned with the behavior of teens at the parks and explaining that to my kids.
I agree with you 100% on that one!!!! and I have teens now!!! I actually thought is was harder to explain to my dd (then age 11) why people were drunk & puking at HHN one year. Sorry if that is graphic but it is true.

Disney holds ALL couples, gay or straight, to the same standards of public behavior. You will probably see some same sex couples holding hands and may witness a kiss or 2 but that's about it. Nothing more shocking than you'd see on the streets at home. You might encounter someone who likes to dress more flamboyantly but again, nothing too over the top since Disney does have some dress guidelines. Truth be told, you probably won't really notice a difference thought it will be significantly more crowded that day.

Oh, I think you'll be surprised as to what some people think is 'appropriate' wear for WDW, especially during the summer. Heterosexual or homosexual, it doesn't matter which, there will be body parts showing that should be kept under wraps...

Thank you everyone for your opinions! We have decided to go from May 31-June 6. I never thought of it like some of you pointed out in that teens can be worse the worst. I forgot some of the outrageous things we have seen from all kinds of people in public places and ds never seems to notice. Thanks again! :)

DH & I have discussed this, and, if his available time-off from work happened to coincide w/ Gay Day, we would still go but just avoid the MK on that Saturday (not only for the different types of PDA that we might end up having to explain to our children but primarily because of the extra crowds). But, you know, it's just as hard to explain to your children why someone is wearing their underwear on the outside of their clothing or what some "words" mean they're overheard - meaning, wherever you go, you're likely to witness behavior or hear things that may or may not be in agreement with what you choose to teach your children.

Last year, we went to Disney the week before Memorial Day. This year, his available time off is for June 9th through 21st. However, Gay Day aside, I wish his available time off were for either the end of May (like last year) or the beginning of June - just because the weather might be cooler & the crowds might be thinner.

In other words, I wouldn't let Gay Day stop us from going to WDW; we'd just avoid MK on that first Saturday of June.

there is a website for this event at gaydays.com if you are wanting to know what the calendar is for this event. I just looked at it since we may be there at this time instead of the May dates depending on how much of a fit dd teacher has for a 2nd trip to WDW this year. it looks like for much of it there is a cruise this year but there is a BIG day at MK on Sat. :flower:

Here's what I found out.

Sunday Magic Kingdom
Crystal palace @ 7am
Cinderella Castle @ 11am-12:00
Contempary Resort @ 12-2:30
Town Square Lesbians @ 12:45
Gay Parade/Disney parade @ 3:00pm
(sounds like they follow the parade)
Pirates & Country Bears @ 1:00 pm
(leather clad at pirates and harry at bears)
Spectromagic Parade @ 9
Fireworks @ 10

Sounds like the crowds are typical and the pictures from gayday website looked pretty tame. I plan on keeping my family away from the swim day at Typhoon Lagoon though because of the pictures of previous days on their web site. Speedo clad men are just not my cup of tea.

Sparticus said:
I plan on keeping my family away from the swim day at Typhoon Lagoon though because of the pictures of previous days on their web site. Speedo clad men are just not my cup of tea.

Better not go to Europe or many other parts of the world! Speedos (or less) are all you'll see. Heck Miami beach and swim meets too! Having traveled the world a bit, I rather now like speedos on the gents :rolleyes1 Welcome to the boards Sparticus. I hope you don't mind a little ribbing!

Speaking as "one of them" id have to say its "us" who cant stand seeing you "heteros" kissing during firworks, or holding hands while you walk down main street, or showing affection during a meal. I mean really the way nobody cares is appauling! God forbid I wanted to do that, id get every billy bob and his wife/sister making a comment while pulling their kids away. Any idea when we can go to avoid that. Oh and p.s. its DISNEY... like 70% of the company is gay ... HELLO!!!!

I think if you make a big deal about it then it will be a big deal to your kids, if they ask why those men/women are holding hands just simply tell the truth "Because they love each other." then let it go. I have found that kids tend to be a lot more open and accepting than most adults. I am not gay, but I support gay rights 100%. Personally it bothers me that a lot of people see them as almost "sub-human" not to be trusted to behave in public. You have inconsiderate people regardless. It is not a gay/straight thing.

Now for the teenagers. They are not all bad. I have two, and most in my experience shows most are good honest kids stuck in adult bodies. My DS 17 is focused on his grades and has already been accepted to a Div 2 College as a starting pitcher. My DD 15 is honor roll and a competitive cheerleader. I am not bragging, just trying to make the point that their friends are the same way. Teens need a lot of guidance and focus, some teens have just lost focus that is all.

Just my two cents worth. Now group hug.... :grouphug:

We were there on Gay Day a few years back and we had a great time. There was nothing that needed to be explained to my kids(4 and 7 at the time) They know that there are men that love other men and women that love other women. It is a complete non-issue for us. Yes there are some over the top guys just like there are some over the top- heterosexual females in the park. I wouldn't let it scare you away. In fact there were fewer people there because I think some were scared away.

Ecurto,
Amen!! Bugs the sh*t out of me how everyone always "sexualizes" gays--like that's all you ever do. I actually like when I see 2 men or 2 women holding hands and I NEVER hide it from my boys! We actually have quite a few gay couples in our homeschooling group and my kids have never once asked me about it (although I did address it and said just what the OP said--some men love other men and some women love other women--end of story). Kids are sooo much more accepting than most adults--what a sad statement on our society :furious:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter