Free Table Meals on the Dining Plan usually run about $50

sportears

Mouseketeer
Sometimes less, sometimes more. If you and your wife have a couple glasses of wine with your nice meal at an average cost of $8 per glass, and also include the gratuity for what would have been the total cost of the meal conservatively speaking $150 @15%, your free meal just cost $54.5. Oh yea, that doesn't include taxes on your wine @ 7.5% for an additional $2.4. Making the free meal total $56.90.

I honestly have no clue what the point of this post was, but I'll take a stab at it.

Are you trying to say that if you go to WDW under the free DDP and have a few drinks with your meal that you'll end up paying $56.90?

If that's the case, then you are wrong. All you would pay for is the alcoholic beverages, plus tax and tip on those beverages (and BTW, 15% is being a real cheapskate unless the service is poor).

The DDP covers taxes on your entire meal, plus an 18% gratuity.

Under your scenario (purchasing four adult beverages OOP at $8 each), you'd have to pay $32, plus approx. $2 tax, plus approx $5 tip under your 15% rule, for a total of $39.

It's unfair to claim that the free DDP actually costs a fortune OOP though, since it's your choice to purchase alcoholic beverages. I just stick to the included soft drink and I pay nothing OOP.

I'm a bit confused on this post as well.

You're making a lot of assumptions; a few being that most people would drink several glasses of wine at $8 a pop.

Secondly, I dont understand why you're tipping on the entire bill as that is included by the dining plan. You would only need to tip on your alcoholic drinks.

If we go with formernyers calculations, which seem to be what you're trying to point out, even $39 a day to eat/drink that well seems like an incredible deal. And that's only if we drink that much out, which we never do!

I was really surprised about how good of a deal the Dining Plan is. We had very little intention of patronizing it, but figure we'd actually SAVE between $150 and $550 as compared to what we would have paid OOP without the Dining Plan! :eek: And, of course, we'll have the option to try so many more menu items than we would have otherwise, because even at that price, the extras are included.

Or you choose not to order wine and it costs 0. I'm not understanding the point of your post since it is completely your choice to order extras that are not covered on the dining plan.

I think it called Free Disney Dining. 1 snack, 1 counter meal, 1 table serve meal. Non alcohol drinks included. 15% gratuity also added.

I call that free dining in my book.

If you choose to add alcohol to your meal thats extra.

Without the free dining this would be an expensive meal, with the dining package it's only around $50.00. I think that a good deal. I'd rather pay the $50.00 or so then pay the $150.00.

The only way I see that you can "slam" the free dining plan is to whine that you have to buy a non-discounted room and at least a one day park ticket to get it!

Yes, it is possible that with whatever discounts you qualify for (CM, FL res, AP) that you might be able to get a better deal than the paid DDP, but I don't know of any that beat the free plan.

Free table meals on the dining plan usually run about WOW we're getting a really good deal and I'm so very thankful on what we're getting!!!

For instance, we had planned on a lunch at the Sci-Fi. One Reuben, split between two adults, $11.99. One beverage, split between two adults, $2.19. Two children's meals, $4.99 each. Gratuity of 20%, $5. Total cost of meal, $29.

Now, let's see what we'll order on the dining plan. Two orders of onion rings for appetizers $13.98, two Reubens $23.98, two non-alcoholic drinks $4.38 and two desserts $10.68. Now, two children's appetizers $3.98, two children's meals $9.98, two children's desserts $5.98. Gratuity of at least 18%, $13.13. Total cost of meal, $86.

Now, do the math: Dining Plan cost of $86 minus our original plan of out of pocket cost of $29 equals THANK YOU DISNEY for spreading pixie dust and giving us the opportunity to graze our way around the World!

Oh yeah! I just realized that second "child" is really a 10 year old who would be eating at adult prices. So yeah, let's bump that dining total up another $5-10 dollars and I still say, THANK YOU DISNEY!!!

Not sure what you mean, but DH and I had at least one drink with most meals while on the DDP in December and paid only for the drinks and the tax and tip on the drinks. DDP includes an 18% gratuity now. If we didn't order drinks, there were no OOP expenses.

Cool! I can have some sort of frozen concoction of a drink (with lots of "concoction") after a long hard day at the park oh and a glass of ice tea. I can have crab cakes for an appetizer and great filet mignon or lobster...or both. Potatoes, green beans, to die for bread. Then lets top it off with a yummy creme brulee with fresh fruit.

Whopping price? under 10 bucks tip and all. Yup, your right. Way out a budget for me! :woohoo:

Perhaps the OP was confusing the way a 'free' cell phone deal works with the way DDP works...

:rotfl:

ExPirateShopGirl said:
Perhaps the OP was confusing the way a 'free' cell phone deal works with the way DDP works...

:rotfl:

:lmao: :rotfl2:

The DDP is so great that we are saving what i believe amounts to 2,000.00 dollars. And its free :) cant beat that with a razor wired stick !

If you look at it like this, going on plan means not having to worry about what you order, just what you like. I can assure you i wouldnt let my 10 yr old order lobster for dinner a couple of times a week, but its his favorite so go for it!!! I sure wouldnt eat dessert every meal, and save it for breakfast half the time lol.

We added up what it would cost us to eat at Coral Reef, it came out to over 250.00 for one dinner for 4. FOR 4. cost...nada.

I'm also doing lesser meals like Sci Fi that would only cost around 100.00 for 4, but still...dang.

I've actually not added a single penny for food on this trip budget. I will probably spend 100.00 in 8 days on extra's, drinks, one or two breakfast meals from counter etc.

sportears said:
Sometimes less, sometimes more. If you and your wife have a couple glasses of wine with your nice meal at an average cost of $8 per glass, and also include the gratuity for what would have been the total cost of the meal conservatively speaking $150 @15%, your free meal just cost $54.5. Oh yea, that doesn't include taxes on your wine @ 7.5% for an additional $2.4. Making the free meal total $56.90.

Well, not for me. I'm super cheap and bring beers etc with us to drink later at the hotel.

And I never order two glasses of wine while out... OUCH!

However, even with your mastery of the math skills...

You are still saving close to $100 a meal correct? Win/Win for lushes and cheapies alike. :cheer2:

Scutapipig said:
Free table meals on the dining plan usually run about WOW we're getting a really good deal and I'm so very thankful on what we're getting!!!

For instance, we had planned on a lunch at the Sci-Fi. One Reuben, split between two adults, $11.99. One beverage, split between two adults, $2.19. Two children's meals, $4.99 each. Gratuity of 20%, $5. Total cost of meal, $29.

Now, let's see what we'll order on the dining plan. Two orders of onion rings for appetizers $13.98, two Reubens $23.98, two non-alcoholic drinks $4.38 and two desserts $10.68. Now, two children's appetizers $3.98, two children's meals $9.98, two children's desserts $5.98. Gratuity of at least 18%, $13.13. Total cost of meal, $86.

Now, do the math: Dining Plan cost of $86 minus our original plan of out of pocket cost of $29 equals THANK YOU DISNEY for spreading pixie dust and giving us the opportunity to graze our way around the World!

Oh yeah! I just realized that second "child" is really a 10 year old who would be eating at adult prices. So yeah, let's bump that dining total up another $5-10 dollars and I still say, THANK YOU DISNEY!!!

Can you really split a soft drink at a table service between two people? I'd imagine not.

loveFL said:
Can you really split a soft drink at a table service between two people? I'd imagine not.

I do it all the time. I don't like my kids drinking too much soda, so during the times that we share meals I just get water from them and let them sip out of my cup.

I know the ethics police will bash me over the refill issue if I'm sharing, but honestly this is one area where I have zero guilt. Most people tend to get two refills during a meal, for a total of three drinks total. I generally tend to have only one refill, even if my kids are sharing with me. Then there's the cost issue...a 32oz coke costs fast food restuarants approximately $.07, of which $.04 is the paper cup. Most TS restaurants serve in 12oz. or 16oz glasses, so there's no cup cost and the soda costs them about $.01 to $.02 per glass.

Or you choose not to order wine and it costs 0. I'm not understanding the point of your post since it is completely your choice to order extras that are not covered on the dining plan.

Agree totally. The dining is covered. A drink is covered. Perhaps the OP needs a Booze it up or happy hour plan.

:drinking1
Cannot_Wait_4Disney said:
happy hour plan.

Where do we sign up for that! I'm willing to pay a few extra $ for it.

1 CS Meal
1 Snack
1 TS Meal
2 Beers
2 Mixed Drinks
1 Rail Shot
:drinking1

DDP question? If DH and I wanted to share a TS between the two of us can we? We never can eat all that is offered for (2) TS or can we share 2 TS between three people? ... I hope I am making myself clear ... Long day at work sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter