Free Parking for DVC Members

Domer87

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

With all the talk of discontinuing DME, and the thought of having to rent a car and parking at my home resort I can't help but wonder;

Is the free parking offered to DVC members considered a 'perk' that can be take away at any time or charged for, or does it come with being an owner in a deeded real estate interest that cannot be stripped away?

Thanks!

Kinda neither.

Right now, parking is covered within dues. As such it is free for anyone staying in points, and they extend that to members staying on cash as something of a bonus. Because it is paid for via dues, it is applied to all points bookings.

Note also that the free parking is only when you are staying on resort. It is not "you are DVC so you can park at a DVC resort/your home resort any time!" Again, it is the dues linkage - you are paying for it fractionally via dues.

If they carved parking out of dues they could charge points bookings for parking. I do not believe that the land of the parking lots at most DVC resorts, save those that are exclusively DVC, are considered part of the land lease or association.

But because of that element, I suspect they will keep it within dues at the shared properties. Managing the "if you stay at RIV it is free but not at CCV or VWL because the lot if outside the association so we carved that out of the dues."

I do not believe that the land of the parking lots at most DVC resorts, save those that are exclusively DVC, are considered part of the land lease or association.
Yeah, but even though the parking lot land isn't part of the DVC land lease, our MFs still pay for maintenance and upkeep of the lots. So they'd have to carve that out as well. Seems like it would be a lot of trouble for them to do.

Yeah, but even though the parking lot land isn't part of the DVC land lease, our MFs still pay for maintenance and upkeep of the lots. So they'd have to carve that out as well. Seems like it would be a lot of trouble for them to do.
Yeah, that is why I said they would have to carve that all out of dues, but only at the non-exclusive resorts, and wow what a mess explaining things would be, right?

I have not stayed at a timeshare resort that charged for parking if the resort owned the lot.

If parking lots are maintained by maintenance fees, then the owners would get to park for free since they are paying for it.

I think Disney would already be charging if they could.

Currently cash guest payments for parking at DVC rooms are depositing on the dues account. Would there be anything stopping the same occurring if a fee was applied to all parking?

I am waiting for the next announcement of a $0.01 per point AD reduction along with a charge of $25/night parking fee on all DVC stays.

LAX
I think they will eliminate DVC Member (while having a current reservation) free parking at the theme parks first.

Currently cash guest payments for parking at DVC rooms are depositing on the dues account. Would there be anything stopping the same occurring if a fee was applied to all parking?
As long as the parking lots are a "common element" of the DVC resort and maintenance is covered by dues, they legally can't double charge DVC members to park.

Parking for free in the parks has nothing to do with being DVC. It is a perk for being an on-site guest. If it goes, it will go for all.
Disney could decide at any moment to not give any onsite perk to DVC members staying on points. For example, for the upcoming Early Entry, they may decide only cash guests get it.
However, it would be suicidal from a sales point of view. I think it's fair to assume that as long as DVC operations continue, DVC members will get the same onsite perks as cash guests.

Disney could decide at any moment to not give any onsite perk to DVC members staying on points. For example, for the upcoming Early Entry, they may decide only cash guests get it.
However, it would be suicidal from a sales point of view. I think it's fair to assume that as long as DVC operations continue, DVC members will get the same onsite perks as cash guests.

You are right...I should have said that was my my opinion at they would not single out DVC.

But, the point was that we don’t get it as DVC...we get it because we are onsite guests.

But, it's not guaranteed on the contract! Thus, don't buy based on it being available in the future. It's just another perk that can come and go.

LAX

But, it's not guaranteed on the contract! Thus, don't buy based on it being available in the future. It's just another perk that can come and go.

LAX

I think the bigger point is that it is not related to DVC in anyway. Everyone staying onsite gets it.

Perks, or Membership extras would be things given to DVC but not guaranteed like the AP discounts, moonlight magic etc. which are part of the contract, just listed as subject to change.

Last edited:
I think the bigger point is that it is not related to DVC in anyway. Everyone staying onsite gets it.

Perks, or Membership extras would be things given to DVC but not guaranteed like the AP discounts, moonlight magic etc. which are part of the contract, just listed as subject to change.

I understand that, but it was my not-so-subtle jab at the fact that perks/amenities available to onsite Disney accommodations are intricately associated the success of DVC and thus play an important role in the purchasing decision. However, I am constantly reminded that these perks (even though not exclusive to DVC) are not part of what the contract guarantees and thus it should not be a surprise if they go away.

LAX

QUESTION
We have dinner reservation at Toppolinos this Saturday - we are coming in for a work trip from Michigan, so NO PARKS
Can we park at Riviera for free? We own there for DVC, but are not staying on points - we just have the dinner reservation

QUESTION
We have dinner reservation at Toppolinos this Saturday - we are coming in for a work trip from Michigan, so NO PARKS
Can we park at Riviera for free? We own there for DVC, but are not staying on points - we just have the dinner reservation

They do not charge a daily parking rate for any guest, so as long as you have a reservation for dinner, there will be no issue.

WDW only charges an overnight parking fee to cash guests staying at the resorts.

We own there for DVC, but are not staying on points
And to be clear, it doesn't matter where you own. Overnight parking is free when you use your points because it is the time you use your fractional shares of the properties. When not using points at disney hotels you will pay parking. Parking is paid for in dues for the time covered in your fractional use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter