• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Four Years, Three Kids and We're Going Back

YesterDark

DIS Veteran
The Pre-Ramble

It's been a tiring stretch over the last few years. I've got a soon to be 6 year old daughter, a soon to be 4 year old son and a recently turned 1 year old daughter. We're going in August, from the 8th to the 14th, and this story started more than four years ago.

Growing up, my family went Disney a few times in the late 80s and early 90s. Just two or three times before I was a teenager. After that, Disney didn't really have a hold on me more than anything else. The Disney Renaissance of the 1990s was great, but it was great for nearly everyone. However, Disney became a distant memory as I graduated high school, collage, started a career and got married. Then in 2015 my crazy sister who bought into DVC at the ripe old age of 21 and a decade later invited the whole family down in 2015.

I contribute to to the site and one of the articles I wrote was based on my own experiences and transferring nostalgia and creating new memories. This is where our real story starts. In 2015 I went down with my wife and two kids, a 2 year old daughter and a 8 month old son to Old Key West for a week. I went down not knowing anything, no planning, and walked into Animal Kingdom the first day looking for a map and figuring out what was in the park. The next day we were in the Magic Kingdom and all of the sudden my childhood hit me in the face like a brick and brought a giant smile to my face.

Soon the smile turned into something different as my Disney princess obsessed daughter saw her fantasies come to life in front of here and that where my love of Disney was born. Two years later I planned a trip, quite expertly I might add you, in August of 2017 with my then pregnant wife.

Quick service announcement for all you Disney Dads or Soon-to-be-Dads, proceed with extreme caution when doing a Disney vacation in August with a pregnant wife. Extreme. Caution.

Fast forward another year and a half and here we are. Ready to go back and the wife and I with a 6, 4 and 1.5 year old in toe go back home. This time, it'll be with my mom who hasn't been since the 2015 trip where she caught a bit of the Disney bug, and I've since infected her with it even more.

I don't think I have to explain to anyone reading this about Disney, the Bubble and the sense of coming Home. For us, it's being there, with the family, no worries in sight and just having a magical time.

The Pre-Booking Phase

I've got an article waiting for publication that explains what we all go through. It talks about the cycle of the Disney Vacation. After you come home from Disney you're still trying to adjust back to reality. You then transition to reality for a while then all of the sudden you know you're about to book a trip and you get excited but not too excited. Then, unceremoniously you book the trip and you're off to races planning your trip.

CKq1OH2.png

I know I was going to be going again this year and I figured I would be booking some time this spring when some of the promotions are typically released. But what does Disney do? Randomly drop summer time promotions right after the new year. I typically don't book 6 months to a year out for a number of reasons, but here we are.

It's pretty nuts. I've gone from one mindset to the next. I'm now in planning mode with a trip just on the horizon. But if you're a crazy planner like me, your trip is almost planned out already. So much for that pre-booking phase where you feel like animal in a cage ready to be set free.

The Cast, the Trip, the Plan (for now)

The Cast: Grammy, Mom, Dad, Daughter 6, Son 4 and Daughter 1.5
The Trip: August 8th-14th
The Package: Free Dining (DDP) and 6 Day Hoppers
The Resort: Port Orleans Riverside
The 180 Day Mark: Feb 9th
The 60 Day Mark: June 9th

Why the Dining Plan vs. Room Discount?
With our kids, we love the character dining. It gives us a few hours out of the heat and off our feet. Our kids love it and it's a great experience. Doing all these character meals, makes the dining plan a wash for us in terms of savings. We're the type that really value the peace of mind that comes with pre-paid food and not have to worry about that cost on vacation. I've written about it if you want to read more of my opinions. I can discuss in this thread if you like!

The room discount really didn't give us the savings we were looking for. No deluxe resorts this time.

Why Port Orleans Riverside?

It was the only resort available that at the price point we were looking at. We were originally going to book at Caribbean Beach Resort, but a week later it was booked up. Our choices are limited, so we have to stick with the 5th Sleeper room. We only sleep in the room, so we'll take the cramped space for now.

Why the Summer?

We have booked in the fall before, but we couldn't pass up the deal this year and take advantage of what could probably be the last Free Dining promotion with the 50th and SWGE on the horizon. My wife is also a teacher and our daughter will be starting 1st grade later this year. I'm not taking her out of school just yet, plus my wife couldn't go anyway!

Something to note: First time park hopper user here!

We'll be having hoppers for the first time this trip. I'm typically adamant against using them because it could be quite difficult to get all the gear and kids on to a bus and make the switch, not to mention the time wasted on a bus. But I think we're going to make a try of it this year, because we've got them.

The Outline

So here we are. The planning practically does itself. The real planning comes when we can confirm ADRs and restaurant times, but here's our outline of what we'd like to do. My trips always begin and end with the Magic Kingdom. We want to do all four parks, but we definitely do not want to do more than two park days in a row. We're rope droppers, so we need some rest time.

OPzVgF3.png

You'll see what ADRs I'm going to target and which days we're going to some parks. A few things that are in the air are what park to hit up the first day we arrive and whether or not we'll park hop from AK to HS.

Normally I would have purchased four tickets, but we've got 6 since the price isn't much different. So I'm now excited to do something different. Hit up a park every day, but only go in the evening on two days and not feel pressured to make something of it. I know if I can get Ohana, that we'll be in the MK to leisurely stroll up and down Main Street, hit up a few attractions maybe and do some shopping.

Why Hollywood Studios? Well my son loves Cars, so I want to see the new show (we did a full HS day a few years ago). I would also like to take him on Star Tours since he was too small last time. I'd like to get the family to Toy Story Land too. If we can get that done in a few hours the first day, great! If not, I'm considering doing an AK/HS day. We'll see what can become accomplished and I'll know more once we do fastpasses. I'm itching to get on FoP, so we'll see what the day brings us then.

That's all I got for now, can't wait to get more details, but the next 6 months are going to be fun. I love planning and I love the anticipation almost as much as the trip itself. Sharpen your spreadsheets folks, because if you end up following this thread, you'll see me tweaking the plan all the way up to August 14th.

Just as an aside: I did not plan on these dates because of the Disunplugged Party! It was a coincidence. My small kids could not stay up that late and I would not leave my family behind to attend. I'm looking forward to seeing when the other events are and perhaps showing up to one of those if I'm nearby.

Can't wait for a Disboard trip, and I just had a trip with family back in October and had a blast, I'm planning a Solo trip for fall of 2019 or Feb of 2020, also if you want your family to get some decent souvenirs may I suggest two options one a Haunted Mansion Picture, in the Memento Mori, the pictures themselves take a few minutes to come out and cost twenty dollars for one picture, but you can see that some.. Spirits have taken over your portrait to showcase your ghoulish side, if you want more info type in Disney memento mori portraits and look for images on Google and you'll see what they look like[Only at MK no other spot, even at Disney Springs] ,the second option is only at Disney Hollywood studios at Star Wars Launchbay gift shop[for now it may change when Galaxy Edge opens] Is whats called build a droid, if you and your family really loves Star Wars than this is a good option, for only 11$ plus tax(13) for one or 20$ for two droids you can build a astromech[Similar droids to R2-D2] And now also featuring Protocol Droids[Similar to C-3PO] You can find Images of said droids on Google by typing in Disney Build a Droids, like I said its 13$ for one or 2 for 20$ and they are 3.75 Inches tall[Normal size and price for figures of said size] - Disneylover 1401[# Figure out what 1401 stands for]

Ah-ha, ADR day, 180 days away. We had our family meeting of grownups last weekend and decided that we would skip Ohana and do CRT instead using our extra dining credit from the arrival day. So yay to 2 princess dinners in a row?

Booked:
MK Day 1
Be Our Guest Lunch
Crystal Palace dinner

Epcot Day
Akershus Dinner

Day of Rest
CRT Dinner

AK Day
Tusker House mid-afternoon meal

MK Day 2
Chef Mickey's Lunch

Got all the times we wanted.

Fastpasses and QS service ideas are next. Still got a long way to go! Also, we found out that we get extra morning magic hours on our AK and MK Day 1. I wonder how that will effect my chances of getting a FP for FoP. It'll probably make it impossible. Oh well, rope drop time. Keep up kids, we're going for a run!

As a side note: I booked BOG lunch on a whim. The kids love the inside, but the food is... eh. We can always cancel, but I grabbed a slot that was open. It's a great place to get off your feet in the middle of the day.

So we did this last weekend. Had a stuffed Mickey waiting at the breakfast table holding a card with a clue and 5 puzzle pieces which lead to another clue and so on. They assembled the pieces with the message of "We're going to Disney World!" We then hung up a poster on our wall (4ft x 3ft) with a 6 month calendar on it.

No it's definitely not too early to reveal. I'd show the calendar but it's got family photos pasted all over it.

Kids were super excited and they loved the riddle game.

So I just added 2 days to my trip.

You can say I am adjusting to the changes. I spent a lot of time on the phone with some very help cast members.

Here's the update:

So we were going back and forth about parks and park days. We want to get my son into Jedi Training and I also want to do FOP. We were trying to figure out how to do both and it essentially boiled down to which park can we go first thing in the morning to. I'm not sure on the Jedi Training part of things, so I wanted to get the kiddos signed up first thing in the morning. So we just decided to extend the vacation two nights so we could do full park days at both!

We booked two nights at the Caribbean Beach Resort at the end of our trip which wasn't that much of an extra adder. Now we had to piece together our trip and see how everything works out. First I had to deal with the tickets. I already had 6 park tickets with my first package, but I didn't know how long they were good for. Could I use them the day after I checked out on the first trip?

I called Disney three times until I found a person that could find an answer for me. I can use my ticket package anywhere in the 9 days after I used them the first time but the issue was the Disney website said they were only good for the length of my stay. Apparently this is an error on the website and not how they are used in reality. (I hope this is accurate)

So I ended up buying an additional ticket on the original package which was only a $50 adder instead of buying $550 worth of single day tickets on my second reservation.

So now we're going to piece together our previous vacation plans with new ones.

Old Plans:
Arrive / Park
MK
Epcot
Pool / MK for CRT
AK/HS
MK
Depart

New Plans (tentative)
Arrive
MK
Epcot
Pool / MK for CRT
AK
HS
Pool / Epcot Dinner
MK
Depart

More relaxed, less stressful trip I think. I also like the idea of having two days where we have park tickets but we're only doing a few hours. The next challenge is how are we using the meal plan in the first portion of our trip. It's looking like we'll be paying out of pocket on the HS day and second MK day. I'll be curious to see the cost comparison between the two days of meal plan vs. no meal plan.

Just popping in to say hey. Really enjoying your PTR so far. I am also going to WDW as a family of 5 but it will be me and my 4 kids. We are going at the beginning of August so it looks like we will just miss each other. Can't wait to read more.

Some random thoughts:

• Ok so we're in the lull before the storm. Fastpasses will be made a week from this coming Sunday on June 9th. I have a split stay, so I've never booked that before. I've got my list ready, and the list is nothing out of the ordinary from what people typically try to book.
  • Some exciting things to do this time, my two oldest kids are now tall enough for most of the rides with a few exceptions for the middle one. I'll be trying to name some of the Mountain rides or SDMT.
  • Once the fast passes have been made, the real planning takes place. We have our ADRs (easy), we have what our park days are (easy) but what we're doing each day is going to be reflected on what fast passes we get. So fun times ahead.
  • I'm still waiting on ordering custom magic bands with the chaos that is going on with that new system. But we'll probably order them by late June or so.
  • One other item I'm mulling over is the Chef Mickey's reservation. It's not part of our Dining Plan window, so I'm not sure I want to spend $200-250 for the whole family for lunch. Hmmm.
Anyway, once I have my Fastpasses done, we're going to start making some pretty spreadsheets. Oh boy do I love spreadsheets. And I'll share them here.

Updated schedule:
YXSdTaw.png

Added in some extra magic hours that align with our park choices on each day. We're going to actually take advantage of our Hopper passes on 8/13 and my mom and I are going to head over to Epcot after our Hollywood Studios day (if we're not too exhausted) and grab a shot of tequila in Epcot after we get the kids down to sleep. ( Just in case you were wondering, the wife is ok with this, she'll be asleep anyway!)

Luckily the next day is a pool day and no rope dropping is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLo
Also, my flights were booked last month. Found a deal out of Philadelphia instead of Newark. Only an extra hour to the airport, but cheaper parking.

Oh man, Fastpass day was yesterday and... that was easy. There were Mine Train availability throughout the day until I stopped tinkering with times at 10pm last night and that was at FP+1. The only tough one to get was FOP and SDD and by tough, I mean that the earliest was 1pm!

GRMR5ny.png

Here's what I scheduled (don't judge my impromptu spreadsheet) and I'm pretty happy with this. Next steps are scheduling rope drop targets and other soft schedule touring plans as well as quick service locations we want to do. As a family we have to pick where we're going to eat or we're going to end up wasting an hour thinking about it at the parks.

I think I over did my spreadsheet. Finalizing my plans. Still to do: Rope Drop strategy and list shows/meet and greets to stay aware of. Also dinner on the the last day. Probably Pecos Bills.

Awesome update here:

So I went to go add the Dining Plan to my second stay at the parks and the Cast Member on the phone went ahead an extended my first stay under the original prices (when I booked in January with free dining) and saved me a few hundred dollars.

Go go cast members.

5 days and counting. Packing lists are being made, last minute tshirts are being purchased. Packing will commence tomorrow night. M/T I'm traveling for business. Wednesday we'll go to our hotel by the airport, and then we're off on Thursday.

There is a bit of .. normal anxiety. Did I forget anything? How could I have?? I can plan an MK/HS day like cake, but Epcot and AK are going to be a challenge with the kids. Haven't done it yet with the smaller ones, last trip we skipped those two parks.

Time will tell but we'll have a good time. I need this vacation!

I read the article you wrote and really identified with it. Hope your trip goes off without a hitch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter