Four Parks, One Dope: A 2015 Dopey Challenge Trip Report!

I'm jumping on!! Followed the training report and now, I'm ready for the running report!!

I'm not up to Dopey standards, but training for the Wine and Dine Half this year.

Can't wait to hear more!!
Thanks, and thanks for following along with the training report! :)

Great choice with Wine & Dine...that's my favorite half at WDW. Although I hope you have better weather this year than we did in 2014!! :eek:

Woohoo- thanks goodness you didn't run into any snow problems on your way down! I was a little worried about that myself but all systems were go! :cool1:

The Epcot resort area busing is seriously the worst. It's seriously 10x worse than the All-Star busing which, for the price difference, is definitely saying something!

That's awesome that you were able to snag everything you wanted in one trip even if it took some double checking. I love the pre-order pins this year! That's a cute idea to get the medal pin for your C2C medal.

Yeah...it seems like a lot of people were disappointed in the pre-order jackets. I thought they were nice but I've never seen the old ones so I don't have anything better to compare too, haha! I actually saw someone trying to return her's in Mouse Gears on Monday. The CM said without a receipt he could only give her the current discounted price for the jacket which was only $18- ouch! I suggested she try selling it online so she'd hopefully be able to get her pre-order price back.

Anywhoooo, can't wait to hear more!

Loved following along, I thought I was being crazy for signing up for the 10k earlier this year and then I started getting the itch for bigger and better races. Seeing everyone with their Dopey and Goofy swag made that even worse. I think next year will be a full marathon then onto the challenges. Cant wait to hear how you did all weekend.

I was totally not a fan of the neon shoe merch shirts/hoodies- it didn't really fit into everything else! I love the "i did it" shirts that you got, the coloring is awesome and cute.

Great merchandise picks! I'm wishing I had gotten that cute aqua marathon shirt, but I was feeling guilty for all the money I was spending. Oh well, I'll be stalking eBay I guess. I never saw the cute little runner Mickey or the half marathon hoodie. Glad you got everything you wanted!

I was amazed that there was not merch for the 5k or 10k! I was planning on getting a Minnie tank and a Minnie Sweaty Band cause I love Minnie, but there was nothing! :o

I was also disappointed in the preorder jacket. I was envisioning something predictable like the Mickey running Marathon logo. I would have loved that!!! Ugh. Lesson learned. Don't buy $70 jackets sight unseen. The Dooneys were really cute though. I really like the character placement on yours!

I heard about the picture taking! So did you get a wrist band as well for the challenges? I know this sounds silly, but I want a wristband too...makes for a good photo. :lmao:

Glad you got everything you wanted at the expo and now I'm scared about preordering the Jacket for the Princess Half! Last year the jacket was the ONLY THING I wanted. The only thing. I arrived on Friday to the expo at 1pm and they were gone. I've searched ebay and everything else and no dice. Still wish I had gotten it, it was my first half! So this year I preordered, I hope it's not ugly! :rolleyes1

Following along! Definitely having merchandise envy! Got the same Dooney purse and LOVE! After that one, DH wasn't to keen on me getting a lot of other stuff. Thought I had bought a sweaty band but wasn't in my bag or on my receipt. Have an overpriced one now thanks to eBay.

Hi Shannon :goodvibes

We were at the Expo at the same time!

I didn't buy an "I did it" T, for reasons of jinx. Of course, I really regret that decision now :eek:

Looking forward to reading more about your experience :cloud9:

hello!

Joining the fun!
Hi!! Thanks for being here! :)
Woohoo- thanks goodness you didn't run into any snow problems on your way down! I was a little worried about that myself but all systems were go!
I know! I'm sure it would have been fine, but still...:eek:
The Epcot resort area busing is seriously the worst. It's seriously 10x worse than the All-Star busing which, for the price difference, is definitely saying something!
It really is!! So, so ridiculous. I really think none of the deluxe resorts should share buses, considering the prices, but hey, what do I know...:rolleyes:
That's awesome that you were able to snag everything you wanted in one trip even if it took some double checking. I love the pre-order pins this year! That's a cute idea to get the medal pin for your C2C medal.
I know!! I was happy about that!

They did do a great job with the pre-order pins, for sure. Super cute this year!

I'm excited about the medal pin thing! I saw someone else do that awhile back so it's been in the back of my mind for awhile. :)
Yeah...it seems like a lot of people were disappointed in the pre-order jackets. I thought they were nice but I've never seen the old ones so I don't have anything better to compare too, haha! I actually saw someone trying to return her's in Mouse Gears on Monday. The CM said without a receipt he could only give her the current discounted price for the jacket which was only $18- ouch! I suggested she try selling it online so she'd hopefully be able to get her pre-order price back.
Oh my gosh!! I would have been so mad! :mad:

One thing I left out of the story...my friend never actually tried to return hers. She ended up selling it to someone in our running skirt Facebook group for the price she paid! The person was staying at Pop and Courtney was moving to Art of Animation later that week, so she just walked right over. So that worked out super well!
Anywhoooo, can't wait to hear more!
Thanks! :goodvibes
Loved following along, I thought I was being crazy for signing up for the 10k earlier this year and then I started getting the itch for bigger and better races. Seeing everyone with their Dopey and Goofy swag made that even worse.
I think next year will be a full marathon then onto the challenges. Cant wait to hear how you did all weekend.[/quote]
Yeah, the bling and swag definitely has that effect on people! I did what you did - 5K first, then 10K, 10-miler, half, standalone marathon, and then Goofy. Really good for building up the mental confidence. :thumbsup2
I was totally not a fan of the neon shoe merch shirts/hoodies- it didn't really fit into everything else! I love the "i did it" shirts that you got, the coloring is awesome and cute.
You are so right about the jackets! Super random when you look at all of the other merch next to it. :confused3

Totally agree with loving the colors of the other stuff! I thought they did a great job with that this year!
Great merchandise picks! I'm wishing I had gotten that cute aqua marathon shirt, but I was feeling guilty for all the money I was spending. Oh well, I'll be stalking eBay I guess. I never saw the cute little runner Mickey or the half marathon hoodie. Glad you got everything you wanted!
Somehow I can turn that little guilty voice off when I enter a runDisney expo...it's a gift. ;) Or a problem. Either way.
I was amazed that there was not merch for the 5k or 10k! I was planning on getting a Minnie tank and a Minnie Sweaty Band cause I love Minnie, but there was nothing!
Obviously I agree with you there, since Minnie is my avatar. :goodvibes I know they had those "Run Your Ears Off" shirts somewhere (never actually saw them?) but otherwise, nothing. Not good!
I was also disappointed in the preorder jacket. I was envisioning something predictable like the Mickey running Marathon logo. I would have loved that!!! Ugh. Lesson learned. Don't buy $70 jackets sight unseen. The Dooneys were really cute though. I really like the character placement on yours!
That's exactly what I was expecting for the jacket! What the heck?!

I love the Dooney too! I spent quite a few minutes deciding on which one was *mine.* :goodvibes
I heard about the picture taking! So did you get a wrist band as well for the challenges? I know this sounds silly, but I want a wristband too...makes for a good photo.
No wristbands! Even though the documentation said we'd get them. I get what you mean, I was looking forward to them too. :rotfl2:

There was a lot of confusion with the challenge stuff...only because they said we had to do stuff (get times verified, check the picture, etc.) and then we didn't ACTUALLY have to do it. So people didn't know what was going on. I hope they get that sorted out for you at GSC!
Glad you got everything you wanted at the expo and now I'm scared about preordering the Jacket for the Princess Half! Last year the jacket was the ONLY THING I wanted. The only thing. I arrived on Friday to the expo at 1pm and they were gone. I've searched ebay and everything else and no dice. Still wish I had gotten it, it was my first half! So this year I preordered, I hope it's not ugly!
I hope so too! Mostly I'm just glad they DO have pre-order options available so that more people can get the things they want!! It's so nuts how they run out of stuff...:sad2:
Following along! Definitely having merchandise envy! Got the same Dooney purse and LOVE! After that one, DH wasn't to keen on me getting a lot of other stuff. Thought I had bought a sweaty band but wasn't in my bag or on my receipt. Have an overpriced one now thanks to eBay.
Yay, thanks!

That's the beauty of pre-ordering, for me...I buy it a few months ahead of time, and then I get to the expo and forget I've already spent that money! :goodvibes

Glad you got a SweatyBand, even if it was overpriced...they are awesome.
Hi Shannon
:wave:
We were at the Expo at the same time!
Aw man! I'm sorry I didn't bump into you.
I didn't buy an "I did it" T, for reasons of jinx. Of course, I really regret that decision now
That's what I don't get about those shirts - a lot of people won't buy them ahead of time, and then they want them after. So why doesn't Disney sell them online for a few weeks after the race ends?? :confused3
Looking forward to reading more about your experience
Thanks!! :goodvibes

omg that is a LOT of shirts! They did such a great job on those I Did It! shirts--I love the maps on the back, and the color contrast on the Dopey shirt is so much better than it is on the tech shirt.

Love the trip report so far and looking forward to the rest!

Day 1: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - Part 6

Once we decided we were fully done with the expo (having looked at no vendor booths - SparkleSkirts wasn't there so what the heck did I need to even look at?!), we hopped onto a bus to Saratoga Springs! By now, Jess had landed and was planning on meeting us over at Downtown Disney...yay! :yay:

We were let off of the SSR bus and proceeded to walk in circles around the resort. Seriously, I don't think our sense of direction could have been any worse that day! Eventually we did make it to DtD, thanks to some directions from a Security CM. So much for staying off of our feet leading up to the races! :faint:

Our first stop was the Christmas store, where I picked out an ornament to get personalized. This is the one thing I MUST do on every Disney trip. I arranged for resort delivery and picked it up on Friday at the Screen Door store on the Boardwalk!

16298987131_59f401ee2e_z.jpg

16274845256_b04a7f98d8_z.jpg

Jess arrived and we headed to Wolfgang Puck Express for "lunch"! It was already 4PM by now! :eek:

My crust was a little burned, but this pizza is so tasty anyway!!

16272619785_892299710b_z.jpg

Jess had the cheese pizza, I think - I forget what Courtney had??

After lunch, we headed to the Marketplace Co-op. Courtney had read on Twitter that the D-Tech area was selling runDisney phone cases, so I had to get one! They had Donald, Mickey and Dopey options...Mickey is my #1 favorite so that's the one I picked.

16086765177_6de6b270ca_z.jpg

This is for my iPhone 6+...so fellow 6+ users - you CAN get cases at Downtown Disney! :yay:

We stopped in World of Disney and Basin (didn't buy anything) and Ghirardelli. OM NOM NOM NOM!

Strawberry shake for me! I got the medium-sized one and it was huge and delicious.

16086500499_3878e7ef54_z.jpg

Courtney and Jess split this amazingness. I think it's the Cookie Bits sundae :lovestruc

15652742763_4bf457915a_z.jpg

During this time, runDisney tweeted out a warning about tomorrow's 5K - there would be a wind chill advisory in place!! Uh-oh!

16086766007_e45c4d196a_z.jpg

Temperatures were expected to be in the mid-high 30s...and while this was way warmer than temperatures at home (in fact Will got the next day off of school because the wind chill was so low), it was not ideal for a Disney race day. Living in Northeast Ohio, I run in very, very cold weather at home a lot, so I knew I'd, you know, survive during the 5K - I was more concerned about before and after the race. runDisney requires participants to get to the starting areas of the races pretty early - at least an hour before the race begins - and there are normally waits for buses once the races end. So I wasn't really looking forward to that part - I mean really, it's not like people just go outside and hang out in 30-degree weather at home without serious winter gear on, ya know? :rolleyes2 That's what I was looking at for the next morning.

As I sat there drinking that heavenly strawberry shake, it occurred to me that I'd run in conditions similar to what was predicted for the next morning's 5K at home last week...wearing a hat, warm running tights and a jacket. I hadn't brought any of those things to Florida with me.

However, like I said before, I am a chronic over-packer. While all of my winter stuff was at home, I HAD brought throwaway clothes for each race (clothes that I would wear to keep me warm before the start that I'd then toss - Disney would gather them, launder them and donate them to charity). My 5K outfit was originally supposed to be a short-sleeved top and running skirt, but I knew I could layer it up to make it a bit warmer. Before I left home, I'd thrown two running hoodies into my suitcase on a whim - SO glad I did!! I decided I'd wear one underneath my planned short-sleeved top and wear a pair of my throwaway leggings - which I was planning on using the morning of the marathon - under my skirt (fleece-lined and $6 from Walgreen’s). The one thing I didn’t have with me that I wished I did each race morning was a pair of gloves - even those thin little ones you can get at Target for like $2 would have been awesome. Despite that, I know I was in much better shape than most other runners - being used to running in these temperatures helped me so much, I think just because I'm used to it, so I didn't panic (I did WHINE of course...but I didn't panic :)). And I had those extra clothes with me. This wind chill thing just came out of nowhere and I think it caught everyone off-guard. After this year I am definitely planning on bringing throwaway clothes for each and every Disney race - gloves included - no matter what! Huzzah for over-packing! :cheer2:

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
omg that is a LOT of shirts! They did such a great job on those I Did It! shirts--I love the maps on the back, and the color contrast on the Dopey shirt is so much better than it is on the tech shirt.

Love the trip report so far and looking forward to the rest!
Heck yes it's a lot of shirts!! :teeth:

The maps on the back is really what gets me to buy those things. When I did the Princes sHalf in 2011, I just saw the front of the shirt at the expo - not the back - and I didn't buy one. Then when I was in the airport waiting to go home, I saw someone with the shirt, saw the map - and I have regretted not getting a shirt ever since! So I always buy them now.

Thanks for reading! :)

Day 1: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - Part 7

After our ice cream, we split up - Courtney and Jess headed to All Star Sports and I headed to the Boardwalk to check in and unpack.

16246708796_80c0fdb536_z.jpg

Marathon Weekend signage:

16085101618_e921afef08_z.jpg

16246937316_c9504c2b0c_z.jpg

15652751343_1a7e30686c_z.jpg

Check-in was quick and I'd gotten both of my online check-in requests - higher floor and close to the lobby - granted. I was in room 4062...a deluxe studio (rented points for it waaaaay back in February) on the fourth floor, only 3 doors down from the lobby elevators. Perfect.

It was about 6:30 when I got into my room. My gigantic blue suitcase was already there. Woohoo!

Apologies for the picture quality...like I said, no DSLR this time.

16270843621_30b39ddfb2_z.jpg

Closet and sink.

16086514409_c8acc655d1_z.jpg

15650220884_6d25e84cd5_z.jpg

16271828472_12805b1db2_z.jpg

It's me! In my Wine & Dine hoodie! :)

16272043342_48886af50c_z.jpg

It was a pool-/Swolphin-view room.

15652980083_0b2234634c_z.jpg

After taking those pictures, I immediately began to unpack. I am one of those people that needs to unpack everything when I travel...this time was no exception.

First task was to lay out all of my race outfits (5K, 10K, half marathon and marathon L-R) and make sure I had everything I needed. My warmest throwaway clothes went into the 5K pile.

16270854291_6d8646aefa_z.jpg

After taking the above picture I separated out my 5K stuff and put it near the sink so I could easily grab everything the next morning - minimal thinking required.

16272863275_468ce7a664_z.jpg

Yep...all this for a 5K. High-maintenance much? :)
16270924201_8458196a25_z.jpg

I also hung all of the shirts I'd gotten from the expo in the closet...I wasn't going to wear any of them or look at them again until I'd completed each race. I totally should have taken a picture, because I swear all the colors of the freaking rainbow were represented! The SweatyBands and my new phone case went into the big envelope that was holding all of my pins and that envelope was shoved into one of my suitcases - again, not to be touched until I'd completed the races. I just don't wear stuff for races that I haven't completed...it's like a personal rule or something. :)

I also made sure to take a screenshot of the transportation information for the races and noted that the 5K buses ran until 5:30AM the next morning...so if I got on a bus a little after 5 I'd be good. If you read the picture below, as well as the sign that was in the Boardwalk lobby, well, kudos on the great eyesight. Also, you will see that I mis-read this information and didn't realize it until the next morning...ugh.

16272649275_743f35681c_z.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Day 1: Wednesday, January 7, 2015 - Part 8

Once I decided I was somewhat settled in, I headed to an MK bus to meet up with Jess and Courtney. Transportation was pretty good for me all weekend, thankfully.

I arrived at Magic Kingdom just as Celebrate the Magic! was playing (about 7:45). I love that show sooooo much!

16271839372_e95faf46db_z.jpg

15652773273_7303f96683_z.jpg

16086796647_16a1c02ccd_z.jpg

Eventually I made it to Liberty Square as Wishes! started. Interesting place to watch the show.

16246945246_3dfc33e356_z.jpg

16246946356_e3ca5aa20c_z.jpg

Jess and Courtney arrived and our first stop this evening was Haunted Mansion for some Haunted Cuddles, followed by Under The Sea for some Clam Cuddles.

16270898521_31a74c962a_z.jpg

16272689925_9cc800e18c_z.jpg

People were bad with their flash photography on dark rides this trip...really bad! So annoying.

Dinner.

16270916951_50e2e8f8fd_z.jpg

Love me some Dreamlights!

15652990313_a7e9c684c8_z.jpg

I forget what else we did this evening...eventually we left, obviously. Once I was back at the resort I called Will and set up a wake-up call and some alarms for the next morning. The time stamp on this screenshot says 10:45...way too late to still be up. Oops. At least the next morning would be my latest wake-up call of the 4 race mornings (4:30AM).

16086852847_24d1e0d2c2_z.jpg

After that, I got ready for bed, double-checked all of my stuff I'd laid out for the next morning, and went to bed. My 2015 Walt Disney World 5K recap is up next!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Joining! While up there, me and my group were confused by the Goofy and Dopey challenge t-shirts. Good to know that the challenges consist of more than one race! To be honest, I don't even think I could run a 5k, so I'm pretty impressed by the Dopey Challenge.

Ha my alarm looked about the same. Three internal snoozes for my race and then for each of the other race spectating. I woke up to watch the marathon Saturday to the sound of the first cannon firework in the distance and freaked bc I knew I was late to watch!

I saw everyone coming back from the 5k in a state of frozen at the resort. I felt so bad for them since it was the coldest of all the days.

Those Snow ears are gorgeous! Great choice :thumbsup2 I always look at the ear hat ornaments but never purchase- how can I pick just one?!?! My Christmas tree needs them all! :rotfl2:

The picture of your view is so pretty- you captured the sky at just the right time! Glad you weren't miles down one of those winding hallways the Boardwalk has!!

I get a kick out of looking at park pictures from this day and seeing everyone in their winter coats and such. However, if I had thought to wear mine on the plane I would have had mine on in the park too! Perfect night for squeezing into the Doombuggies/Clamshells for a little snuggle!

Dying to hear about the 5k!

On a side note: I'm glad your friend was able to sell her jacket for purchase value! All's well that ends well!

Joining! While up there, me and my group were confused by the Goofy and Dopey challenge t-shirts. Good to know that the challenges consist of more than one race! To be honest, I don't even think I could run a 5k, so I'm pretty impressed by the Dopey Challenge.
I could see how they would be confusing if you weren't there to run! :)

I'm sure you could complete a 5K with a little training!!
Ha my alarm looked about the same. Three internal snoozes for my race and then for each of the other race spectating. I woke up to watch the marathon Saturday to the sound of the first cannon firework in the distance and freaked bc I knew I was late to watch!
First of all, forgot to say earlier - LOVE your username. :)

The wake-ups freak me out more than the running does - I NEEDED all of those alarms!
I saw everyone coming back from the 5k in a state of frozen at the resort. I felt so bad for them since it was the coldest of all the days.
The 5K was rough! I think I had an easier time than most - no one was expecting that blast of cold air!
Those Snow ears are gorgeous! Great choice I always look at the ear hat ornaments but never purchase- how can I pick just one?!?! My Christmas tree needs them all!
Thanks! So far I just have Cindy (for 2014 Royal Family 5K) and these Snow ones. I know Dopey ones exist but I didn't see them at the store, so Snow seemed like a good choice.

Somehow I limit myself to one per trip...somehow. :)
The picture of your view is so pretty- you captured the sky at just the right time! Glad you weren't miles down one of those winding hallways the Boardwalk has!!
That is EXACTLY why I requested being close to the lobby! :eek:
I get a kick out of looking at park pictures from this day and seeing everyone in their winter coats and such. However, if I had thought to wear mine on the plane I would have had mine on in the park too! Perfect night for squeezing into the Doombuggies/Clamshells for a little snuggle!
Yeah, I think I was good in jeans and my hoodie! Warm but still good for Haunted/Clam Cuddles! :)
Dying to hear about the 5k!
I'll post about that tonight or tomorrow!!
On a side note: I'm glad your friend was able to sell her jacket for purchase value! All's well that ends well!
Me too! And she sold it quickly too - like within minutes! Whew!

Looks like you had lots of fun shopping at the expo!

Just so you know, while they state for the challenge that you need a 16:00 pace, it seems as if you finish before the pacers you are safe. Sadly I know this from experience as official Disney time had me above 16:00. I guess all my weaving didn't help as mapmyrun had me at the right pace but .43 miles longer.

Your bus story seems ominous!

I get not wanting to wear I did it until you actually do! Glad you liked your shirts better in person!

Looks like you had lots of fun shopping at the expo! Just so you know, while they state for the challenge that you need a 16:00 pace, it seems as if you finish before the pacers you are safe. Sadly I know this from experience as official Disney time had me above 16:00. I guess all my weaving didn't help as mapmyrun had me at the right pace but .43 miles longer. Your bus story seems ominous! I get not wanting to wear I did it until you actually do! Glad you liked your shirts better in person!
Fun yet stressful times at the expo, for sure!

I know that NOW about the times...at the time I really thought they would check the pace. The documentation sure made it sound like they would...I know other people thought the same thing.

The weaving is frustrating! Sorry that happened to you.

The bus story is a little ominous, yes! :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter