Food Allergies & WDW.

Oh how dreadful! I've always felt safe at Disney. Or at least at Disney-owned eateries. I'm not sure if Disney owns RR or not. I do thank God though that if I have to have a food intolerance, at least it doesn't involve anaphylaxis.

@team bradfield So sorry your wife got glutened. If you don't mind PMing me where it occurred, as a fellow Celiac I'd appreciate it. Understand if you prefer not to, though.

I've been Celiac long enough that I could usually tell 'gluten'bread from GF bread simply by feel and visual inspection, but these days the GF breads are getting more and more like gluten bread in texture and appearance.

That's pretty disappointing. A number of years ago (pre Covid) I was at one of the fine dining restaurants and I ordered something that normally came with tomatoes. Chef salad maybe? I don't like tomatoes, but when I had extensive allergy testing in my 20s for environmental/seasonal allergies, tomatoes were one of my most reactive. So much so the doctor said I should always avoid them. It turns out it is more the plants than the actual tomato, but since I don't like them, avoiding them is easy.

Anyway, when I asked for no tomatoes, the server asked if there were any allergies and my wife chimed up about the tomatoes. Two minutes later, the head chef was at the table to get details and specifics. Probably because I had ordered pasta with a red sauce along with the salad. Interestingly, cooking the tomatoes does something to the allergen so it so it doesn't react, or it may just be the plants that will get me.

I hate to be one of the people that moans about the downgrades at Disney, but between the gluten issues here and the death, things do seem to be slacking.

j

That's pretty disappointing. A number of years ago (pre Covid) I was at one of the fine dining restaurants and I ordered something that normally came with tomatoes. Chef salad maybe? I don't like tomatoes, but when I had extensive allergy testing in my 20s for environmental/seasonal allergies, tomatoes were one of my most reactive. So much so the doctor said I should always avoid them. It turns out it is more the plants than the actual tomato, but since I don't like them, avoiding them is easy.

Anyway, when I asked for no tomatoes, the server asked if there were any allergies and my wife chimed up about the tomatoes. Two minutes later, the head chef was at the table to get details and specifics. Probably because I had ordered pasta with a red sauce along with the salad. Interestingly, cooking the tomatoes does something to the allergen so it so it doesn't react, or it may just be the plants that will get me.

I hate to be one of the people that moans about the downgrades at Disney, but between the gluten issues here and the death, things do seem to be slacking.

j
Yes, it's the same for me but with raw banana. Otherwise, I'm fine because the allergen disintegrates during the cooking process.

Oh how dreadful! I've always felt safe at Disney. Or at least at Disney-owned eateries. I'm not sure if Disney owns RR or not. I do thank God though that if I have to have a food intolerance, at least it doesn't involve anaphylaxis.
Disney does not own it.

According to the Irish Times it's co-owned by Dublin businessmen Paul Nolan and John Cooke, is operated by Great Irish Pubs Florida. Both men are listed as directors of the company with the Florida Department of State.

Overall they are ok, when we ordered dinner with the beast, we pre registered a tree nut allergy, when ordering we told them we had a tree nut allergy. Dinnner was supost to come out with an allergy flag. It didnt. We asked and they took my daughters plate away and re made it.

At epcott, forget about eating in any of the kiosks, they dont know and it takes an hour or so before someone who does comes out. Then they tell you that you need to check before you come to the park. That works well for a 8 or 10 year old. Lol

Last was the frozen bakery, we waited in line and then asked for anything tree nut free, nope. Nothing. My daughter was 8 and after riding frozen, she got a doll and wanted a treat.

The ice cream place in epcott also after being told of the tree nut allergy didn't get a new clean scoop from the back. My daughter who was 10 noticed it. So its easy to slip up.

So, we mostly cook in the camer and bring our own food.

That is very sad...
I have friends that have severe egg and milk allergies the kids can't touch something that someone else touched with egg or dairy on their hands or they have a reaction. So they take it very serious and don't go out to eat. Ever. It is not worth the risk for them.

It is easy to cross-contaminate on accident anywhere.

Well, anecdotes not being evidence, I had a very successful dietary experience the days we were at WDW, albeit we only ate out one meal a day in the parks and a few non-park ADRs. DH's appetite since his cancer is still pretty much gone and I try to eat 2 meals (breakfast and 'lunch-ner') as that 'works' for me. At any rate, I had no problem with servers understanding my needs, communicating their awareness, and each meal came out with the 'allergy' flag. I will admit I was on 'heightened awareness' after recent posts on bad experiences. Maybe they sensed it. Or they've had the fear of God put into them by T(culinary)PTB at Disney!

Snacks & drinks at Nomad Lounge (GF CHURROS!!!), lunches at SH71, SciFi Dine n Drive, Skipper Canteen, Le Cellier, & DLux Burger, dinner at BoG and take out from Trail's End all went well and I didn't get glutened. Erin McKenna's is a cert as she's totally allergen friendly and I picked up some sweet treats there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter