flying with medications

Have a couple pills that I feel better carrying in my carry on so they don't get lost seizure& BP. Now my question is I put my pills in a daily pill divider do I need to carry the bottles also or screeners recognize medicines? suggestion?

All medication should be carried in carryon baggage, not placed in checked baggage.

Medication in checked baggage can get lost, be delayed, or get stolen. Also, the extreme temperatures hold baggage experiences can have a negative effect on medication -- often with no way of you know the medication has been affected.

See https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips/can-you-pack-your-meds-pill-case-and-more-questions-answered for info from TSA about traveling with medication.

Note in particular: "TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply."

TSA is generally not your concern regarding whether medication is in its original container or not. However, most states have laws regarding whether and which types of prescription medications must be carried in their original labeled prescription container.

I travel with many prescribed medications. Some of them normally come in 90 or 100 day containers which are too large for travel. I ask my pharmacy to please give me an empty labeled smallest-size container for each of my medications, for travel purposes. When I travel, I then fill each of those with the amount I will need for the trip plus one extra week (in case of delays/extended travel). All of those med containers go into a single ziploc-like bag to keep them safe and together. I separately carry my weekly dosette container that I put meds into once I arrive at my destination. For OTC meds (e.g. antihistamines, Tylenol) although I normally purchase them in larger quantities because they are cheaper that way, I will do a one time purchase of the appropriate smaller size container for traveling. Again, I can refill it with the medication for future trips.

I do this whether traveling domestically or crossing borders. But it is even more important when crossing international borders, as Customs and international authorities *do* care about things being in their proper containers. In addition, some countries don't allow some medications -- whether Rx or OTC -- into their countries at all, while others require you to get advance permission for some or all of your meds; the penalties for non-compliance can be severe so it is important to do your research if traveling to another country. And some of the meds that some countries don't allow are pretty innocuous-seeming from a North American standpoint, like Benadryl.

SW

All medication should be carried in carryon baggage, not placed in checked baggage.

I'm so worried, I mean some purse snatcher could come along and take my purse with my meds in the airport. So I always divide my # of pills in half and put half in checked luggage, half in carry-on. But I hadn't thought about exposure to extreme temps before. Now what to do?

I'm so worried, I mean some purse snatcher could come along and take my purse with my meds in the airport. So I always divide my # of pills in half and put half in checked luggage, half in carry-on. But I hadn't thought about exposure to extreme temps before. Now what to do?

I don't think there is a big purse snatching issue at airports, either way you should always keep your bag close to you. There is a much much greater chance of someone stealing the medicine out of your checked bag then someone walking up to you and stealing your purse. I always carry a backpack as my carry on and no separate purse. Put your purse/wallet in you backpack and keep the backpack on. Having a backpack keeps both of your hands free so you are less likely to put it down somewhere. Or get a cross body bag, something that is more attached to you instead of a purse.

I don't think there is a big purse snatching issue at airports, either way you should always keep your bag close to you. There is a much much greater chance of someone stealing the medicine out of your checked bag then someone walking up to you and stealing your purse. I always carry a backpack as my carry on and no separate purse. Put your purse/wallet in you backpack and keep the backpack on. Having a backpack keeps both of your hands free so you are less likely to put it down somewhere. Or get a cross body bag, something that is more attached to you instead of a purse.

And if one was *really* concerned, one could use theft-resistant bags from brands like Pacsafe and others, which make it much more difficult for someone to steal it or from it.

SW

I always take a smaller bottle with the pharmacy label. This shows dosage and name of med. I thought I was overdoing it and then I had a stroke at work. I wasn’t able to talk to them to give the run down on my meds. I was able to get out “diabetic” but that was it. My new medical ID bracelet says medic card in wallet, in case I’m unresponsive in any situation. I just write down everything they would need to know on an index card, meds and medical conditions along with emergency contact. At home I keep a list of the same info on my fridge. I copied the medical sign and put it at the very top of the page so it’s very visible.

You want to always carry your medications with you on the plane so there is no chance of them getting lost if your checked bag is lost or delayed. And, as someone already posted, possibly stolen.
We always carry the day’s doses of medication in a pill holder, but we carry the remainder of our daughter’s medication in the prescription bottles.
This is not because TSA cares, but in case of any medical issues, the prescription bottles have the medication name, the dosage, the pharmacy phone number and the prescription number. Those pieces of information would be very helpful if she has a medical issue or problem.

How about insulin and the needles needed to inject them?

Even if the worst happens, and you somehow end up without your medication, you can do what I did when I accidentally left my pill case at home. I went to a pharmacy (there’s one near by) and had them request my prescription from my home pharmacy. They filled a full month of my meds and my insurance paid for it even though it was a replacement.

Of course this only works on your average prescription meds. If you have something hard to get or expensive (my most expensive one is $1400.00 a month) it make take extra talk between your doc and the pharmacy, or you may have to wait a day until they can get it in stock.

Last edited:
I am set with carrying my meds in original containers. My question is how about meds I will need for my flight?

I am set with carrying my meds in original containers. My question is how about meds I will need for my flight?
If you have a lot of medicine then put it all in its own back this back will not count towards your two bag limit. If all this bag has in it is medical related you put a sock in it and it is not a medical bag. this way you have access to your medicine during the flight

I’ve gotten a few Travelon cross body purses and have really liked them. The straps are supposed to be hard to cut (thought I’ve never tested that) and you are secure all the zippered compartments in ways that would be difficult for someone to just reach into your bag.

Have a couple pills that I feel better carrying in my carry on so they don't get lost seizure& BP. Now my question is I put my pills in a daily pill divider do I need to carry the bottles also or screeners recognize medicines? suggestion?
A regular pill divider is fine. I still take labeled bottles to Europe, but never for domestic. But when I travel abroad I'm going over for longer than a week-sized pill divider can handle, anyway.

I never put any meds in checked luggage. Not only can the bags be lost or delayed, the meds might be stolen by people thinking they are something that they aren't.

I would keep them in their original bottles. They always swab all of our stuff (we travel with a lot of formula, meds and medical equipment so we always get extra screening) and one of the medication bottles always test positive for a chemical that apparently is similar to some sort of bomb making residue. every time this happens they question me on what the med is and what it is used for, and usually a supervisor gets called back to check it out. the supevisor always reads the label very carefully. So I would definitely have them in the original bottles
That's really interesting!. Tri-nitrotoluene (TNT) is an explosive. NTG (tri-nitroglycerin or just nitroglycerin) is related and is also an explosive- but weirdly enough, compounds containing this are used medically! Usually but not always for people with heart conditions, it's a smooth muscle relaxant.

Needless to say, the medicine won't detonate in one's tote bag!

So if a person does not take NTG, that's probably not a concern. (Interesting side note- Alfred Nobel, who established the Nobel Prize because he felt badly about discovering nitroglycerin, was actually treated with nitroglycerin when he developed heart problems later in life).

My husband has a hobby of high-powered rocketry using actual solid rocket fuel- that's our problem! :tilt: You never know what kind of innocent activity is going to elicit stink-eye from TSA.
This hasn't been my experience. They swab my son's insulin every single time. I would take the bottles and not risk it.

ETA: Maybe insulin is different because it's liquid?
It may be because it's a liquid, although I carry loaded syringe for my medications, I just tear off the box label and stick it in there so they know what it is. What I have trouble with is the "ice" block. It's radio-opaque so I'm always sure to run it through the x-ray machine with the medicine separately, so they don't have to rifle through the bags.

Then, coming back, if the ice thawed I have to put it in checked luggage which I don't always have. A couple of times I've had to throw out thawed ice packs. The ice has always given me a lot more trouble than the actual medications.

Last edited:
About a year or so after 911, we flew and DH took all his meds (about 12) in the original bottles in his carryon. That was the only time , since then just the plastic pill pack with all the compartments. One thing he carries in normal life is a list of all his meds in his wallet. If for some reason, he needs medical help, it will be know exactly what he takes.

For those thinking of putting meds in checked suitcase, please at least put them in ziplock bags. We once had our luggage sit in the pouring rain and got an all the way through soggy suitcase. Would have been very upset to lose hundreds if not thousands of dollars in meds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter