• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying with a tripod

JudithM

DIS Veteran
Flying with a tripod was mentioned briefly in another thread. We have flown through Baltimore, Los Angeles, Orlando & Providence, RI recently with our tripod in a carry on suitcase. TSA didn't even blink twice at it when we went through security.

Ironically, even though baseball bats, hockey sticks, golf clubs, etc. are expressly prohibited as carry-on items by the TSA, the rules are silent when it comes to tripods and monopods (even though my metal Bogen monopod with a swivel head attachment would be an even more effective weapon than an aluminum bat). However, there are first-hand reports of TSA agents turning away people when they have attempted to carry such items on. It's in the minority, but it happens. The agent will usually have the final say, and it's probably not worth trying to make a literal "federal" case out of the fact that your tri/monopod isn't listed as a prohibited item. So, the bottom line is: You will very much likely not have a problem from the TSA if you attempt to carry on your 'pod... but don't be shocked it you're one of the "lucky" ones that does have a problem.

I have taken my monopod through security a couple of times w/o a problem despite the fact that it looks like a billy club hanging out of my carry on. If they ask, I tell them it is a monopod, which usually elicits the same face my dogs makes when I talk funny to her..kind of a tilted head/puzzled look. Then I say, it's a one legged tripod for my camera and they say "oohh" and let it go :o)

Just have a back up plan. Co worker and I were joking one day at the airport about the TSA agents and how they didn't all apply the rules the same way. We both got stopped. He got stopped with his tripod he was carrying on. He explained that he had flown in with it and no one had stopped him. They didn't believe he had flown in to that airport. He showed him his drivers license,explained his job and the end result was he had to go check the tripod before they would let him through.

I got stopped for a pair of plastic scissors. I guess they figured we were together so I must have something they could search for.

TSA is a joke. My Disney anniversary pin was confiscated because it's considered as dangerous item although at the same time I saw another couple wearing the anniversary pin (but was checked by different TSA agent).

I always put my monopod in checked luggage to avoid any problems. I also don't want to haul that thing around if I don't have to and chances are I won't need the monopod on the plane. :rotfl:

The only time anybody connected with any security organization wondered about the monopod (as somebody mentioned...it's like a club!) was one security guard who was checking bags at Magic Kingdom 2 years ago. He's the only one who asked about it.

JudithM said:
Flying with a tripod was mentioned briefly in another thread. We have flown through Baltimore, Los Angeles, Orlando & Providence, RI recently with our tripod in a carry on suitcase. TSA didn't even blink twice at it when we went through security.

I usually fly with my wife. I have driven in the car pool lane with a stuffed moose head in the passenger seat though.

And Judith, next time you are at the airport please tell the TSA people that they need to blink otherwise their eyes will dry out.

Jeff

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter