Florida insurance compaies?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Can the insurance companies in Florida just up and cancel home owners policies the week or so before a hurricane is supposed to hit? Even if you had paid your premium up for say six months? Is such legal? Changing the rules in the middle of the game if they look to lose that game?

Can the insurance companies in Florida just up and cancel home owners policies the week or so before a hurricane is supposed to hit? Even if you had paid your premium up for say six months? Is such legal? Changing the rules in the middle of the game if they look to lose that game?
There are rules they have to follow to cancel your insurance. Are you looking at an actual cancellation mid policy term, or a non-renewal notice? There are different rules for each of those, as well as for policies in effect less than 90 days (which I assume does not apply here since you mentioned six months).

There are rules they have to follow to cancel your insurance. Are you looking at an actual cancellation mid policy term, or a non-renewal notice? There are different rules for each of those, as well as for policies in effect less than 90 days (which I assume does not apply here since you mentioned six months).
No, I live in GA. Just seen a video on YouTube of people living in Fl. saying this has happened to them before Milton hit.

Not true, unless you didn't pay the bill. They can choose not to renew once your policy expires.

No, I live in GA. Just seen a video on YouTube of people living in Fl. saying this has happened to them before Milton hit.
Here are some reasons you can be cancelled:

IMG_1787.jpeg

They have to give between 45-120 days notice of the cancellation or non-renewal, based on the reason for the cancellation. For non payment of premiums, they only have to give ten days notice. If someone is getting their policy cancelled mid term, I would almost guarantee that it’s due to non payment of premiums. That is why I am diligent about paying the first day they upload my bill online. I don’t want to pay too close to the due date where they could fudge something and say I never paid.

I'm going to assume since it's on social media there not giving you the whole story(shocking) or didn't bother to read the insurance contract.

Where I live regardless if you paid the the full premium or not an insurance company can cancel my plan within the first 60 days of the policy. If the insurance company found out you misreprestned information about your house they can cancel your policy.

I'm guessing no. If you're seeing this on YouTube I would take that with a huge grain of salt. There's likely more to the story.

What is true is that after Ian several insurance companies decided not to continue coverage in Florida. I have property in Florida and was told that Traveler's is no longer covering Florida properties. I was given a heads up by my insurance agent, then received an official notice of non-renewal from Traveler's about 6 months before my policy was due for renewal.

Also, my policy is just fine. I just seen this on YouTube and was curious.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest