• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

My armchair imagineering is more like "why can't I have a seatbelt AND a lap bar" "why can't I have two locks on the harness instead of one" and sometimes we just get down to ... "why did I get on this ride" along with white knuckles.

Mine is just how do I get to do this so then I can read people complain about my work haha. It was what I really wanted to do and still wish I could make the jump to but I think sadly those days are gone. Tony Baxter is my idol (Joe Rhode is pretty far up there). I'm more on the artistic side though but also understand the mechanics as well.

Ugh the more I read, the more I think this will be a no go for me:
Big feet= check
Big calves=check (muscular so nothing to be lost)
Tall=check
Chesty=check--could only Ben remedied with a reduction

I'm going to get FPs for it, but if I don't fit will they give me an anytime?

Kind of puts Disney in a tough spot. If they put it in a less conspicuous location, then riders won't necessarily know about it and know they can test their fit.

That's true. It just seems so out in the open though.

I don't think it's that embarrassing, it's not like anyone who is that big is really hiding their size in public. I think it's worse to wait in line and then get into a theater and then be told you can't fit.

I agree. I would rather 15 seconds of "shame" at the beginning of the ride, then an hour+ wasted and be turned away.

I am glad they put a test seat out there - I am ample in the chest-region ;) - and I would hate to wait/waste a FP if I can't be accommodated. And, my DH is tall - 6'6. If his legs (chicken legs at that ..) won't fit, I would rather know at the outset. We waited in a LOOOOOONG, HOT line at King's Island once, only for him to be turned away.

This could become a problem. If a CM was able to get you in first time there should be NO reason you cant get in a second time. EVERY CM should learn what that CM did to get him.

The first CM could also have applied excessive force

The second CM might have been right to turn the guest away.

If that second CM had applied more force and actually hurt the guest, we would be talking in a very different kind of topic ...

My husband is a big guy too and he said that he felt like a CM could make or break the experience as far as fit goes. The first time he rode the CM worked with him to close the restraints (he has big feet and calves). The subsequent CMs he encountered didn't use the same finesse, but since he had already rode it he knew how to make it work.

Most of Universals are right at the entrance to the ride so not really out of the way either. I guess Disney could have put this one by the stroller parking but then they have to have a stroller CM who may or may not be an attractions CM work it so an entire group needs additional training.

it could have been slightly to the right instead of under the middle of the tree with everyone taking photos of that area.

Just an update. I am 6'3" 275. Big feet and big legs. I had no trouble riding. Wasnt even an issue. I just sat upright and scooted as far forward as I possibly could and it locked into place. No need for a CM to push the latches or anything. The calf restraints weren't even touching the back of my legs.

Ugh the more I read, the more I think this will be a no go for me:
Big feet= check
Big calves=check (muscular so nothing to be lost)
Tall=check
Chesty=check--could only Ben remedied with a reduction

I'm going to get FPs for it, but if I don't fit will they give me an anytime?

This is the issue for me. My DH fits into this category. If we do the test seat or even the ride and it is a no go do we get another FP+? Locking up a FP+ 60 days out and then not being able to use it is the biggest problem.

We rode flight on the first day of the AP preview. My husband is 5 10 at 250 lbs. The CM came to help and said he did not fit because he could not get his feet into the right spot. My husband realized he had his phone and wallet in his front pocket of his cargo type shorts, once he took those out of his pocket he fit just fine. We have rode it several more times and have not had any problems.

Just an update. I am 6'3" 275. Big feet and big legs. I had no trouble riding. Wasnt even an issue. I just sat upright and scooted as far forward as I possibly could and it locked into place. No need for a CM to push the latches or anything. The calf restraints weren't even touching the back of my legs.

Hi Brown, I am quoting you because this is how the majority of people would typically approach seating into this ride (including me). In fact, if you listen to the directions you are told to walk as far forward as possible before seating yourself. Honestly with all the excitement of the new ride I did not even really pay attention to (or hear?) these directions until my second ride. Loading as directed should help a lot of varying shapes of people seat themselves properly into the ride.

Hi Brown, I am quoting you because this is how the majority of people would typically approach seating into this ride (including me). In fact, if you listen to the directions you are told to walk as far forward as possible before seating yourself. Honestly with all the excitement of the new ride I did not even really pay attention to (or hear?) these directions until my second ride. Loading as directed should help a lot of varying shapes of people seat themselves properly into the ride.
I agree but shouldn't the CM tell you the proper to fit instead of just saying "you don't fit" Seems to that some help and some are well..
I agree but the CM's should know this and help. as we have heard some do and some don't..

Yep a lot of arm chair engineers on the boards. I can tell you imagineers don't just put a restraint in because it is "cool" or makes you feel the effects. They are there for safety. If it wasn't needed then they wouldn't have put them there.

Exactly! WDW has learned not to put in a lot of extra stuff that can malfunction unless it is necessary. Why would they use restraints on legs this way if not to help keep someone safe?

I'm 6'3" 340ish and I fit, but it was a bit tight in the back, I didn't even notice once the ride started. I would be highly preturbed if I waited in line twice the same day, and one CM could fit me and another couldn't. I would have found someone somewhere who would have given me a FP to something for my time

I don't think it's that embarrassing, it's not like anyone who is that big is really hiding their size in public. I think it's worse to wait in line and then get into a theater and then be told you can't fit.
It's absurd and false to say that someone shouldn't be embarrassed because they appear that way in public all the time. I can assure you, many big people do suffer embarrassment on a regular basis.

Co-signed. Those things are embarrassing.

This makes me so sad. People are on vacation and having people shaming them could totally ruin their trip. Their hate and judgment may not be visible to the naked eye (it's easy to pick on size since it's visible), but they are some of the worst character traits a person can possess IMO. I sure hope people that are subjected to this rudeness realize that the taunting says more about the rude person than it does about them.

This. I have had multiple experiences on rides at Disney where my whole party fit comfortably and were trying to ride the rides, and other guests made fun of us for daring to be multiple fat people having fun in public.

It really, really sucked. In my best friend's case, another guest absolutely ruined her first time riding Soarin' by giving her huffy, angry glares the whole ride because she dared to be a fat person on the ride (NOT encroaching on their space, mind you, just being Fat in Public.) You can't ride a Disney ride for the first time twice, so it's totally tainted it for her forever, and I hate that.

On another trip, she and I and her mom and 3-year-old-niece all rode "Livin with the Land". None of us are tiny, but the CM put us all in the front row of the boat and it caused some noticeable dipping in the front - nothing to stop the ride, but it was noticeable. The tourists behind us made nasty, rude noises and comments throughout the ride and applauded when we disembarked. It was horrible.

People can be truly awful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter