• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Flight fretting

dachsie

DIS Veteran
OK - So headed to the Big Island and Aulani Jan 7 and we still haven't booked tickets. I am starting to fret over this. Last month I saw flight $150 cheaper than they are now but my friend thought we should wait. There are still plenty of seats on the planes but I am getting more nervous about not having the flight. Am I being silly? Will they go back down again? We will be flying out of Austin, TX. I really want to fly on United due to FF program but may have to give up on that idea.

so you’re flying to the Big Island, then hopping over to Aulani on Oahu?
When we flew to Oahu last June I stalked airfare like crazy, both before booking and after. I booked not long after the flights became available. I noticed about a month after I booked they went down slightly, then they started going up, and up.
I don’t feel comfortable playing the waiting game, so basically when I saw a price I was ok with paying I booked, and had my choice of seats.
I’m the kind of person that likes everything set.
If you’re ok with gambling, and want to wait it out to see if it will drop, you probably will have some “nervous” days. You may get lucky, you never know. The way gas has been going up and down anything is possible.
Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Yes - have a conference on the BI and then will take inter island flight to Oahu. I guess it doesn't matter a whole bunch if we lost out on the cheaper flights since work is paying for them but it comes out of my CME budget so trying to keep costs down as I have two more CME trips next year that I have to attend.

I use the Hopper app and it's predicting that for January 7th out of Austin to Kona the prices should drop $59 through September 21st and after that it will go up $61. For me, I'm a "book early" sort of person because I want to know I have a flight. $59 wouldn't be worth it for me.

Honestly-I would not book flights to Hawaii til after labor day-fares are much much higher in the summer based on my experience-and you will still be wayyyyyyyyy in advance. Generally although not always 60 to 45 days in advance is the best. You will have to do Hawaiian for interisland unless things have changed signifigantly in the last two years. Those fares stay pretty consistent or at least they used to.

We booked our flights shortly after they became available, roughly 10 months out from our travel dates. Our flights only went up in cost after we booked. The flight we wanted is a very popular long haul flight, and I imagine many people book it well in advance since Hawaii is a big trip from the east coast that requires some planning and saving. And the more people who book, the more the price goes up. I'll also add that January is a busier season in Hawaii with people from the mainland looking to escape the winter, and also prime whale season. Because of this, I would book sooner rather than later if it were me.

OK - So headed to the Big Island and Aulani Jan 7 and we still haven't booked tickets. I am starting to fret over this. Last month I saw flight $150 cheaper than they are now but my friend thought we should wait. There are still plenty of seats on the planes but I am getting more nervous about not having the flight. Am I being silly? Will they go back down again? We will be flying out of Austin, TX. I really want to fly on United due to FF program but may have to give up on that idea.

Just booked our flight from S.C. to Oahu for October about a month ago. I continue to watch the prices and seat availability. The flight did go down considerably right after I booked, but caught it in time to cancel and rebook at the better price. Since then it’s gone up & down, but only by about $50.00. So I’m good with what we got and happy with the seat choices. I was anxious to book as early as possible also, but for us it was fine to wait a little longer..just watch seat availability...If they start filling too quickly, go ahead and book.

Airfare prices drive me batty! We are going to Hawaii in October...Oakland to Kona, Kona to Honolulu, Honolulu to Oakland. I couldn't find anything decent using one airline or even two. Ended up buying three one way tickets and only spent about $500 total as opposed to almost $700-800 when looking at a circle trip on one or two airlines! It's nuts sometimes. Occasionally I look now to see what the prices are like and I got a good deal!

Airfare prices drive me batty! We are going to Hawaii in October...Oakland to Kona, Kona to Honolulu, Honolulu to Oakland. I couldn't find anything decent using one airline or even two. Ended up buying three one way tickets and only spent about $500 total as opposed to almost $700-800 when looking at a circle trip on one or two airlines! It's nuts sometimes. Occasionally I look now to see what the prices are like and I got a good deal!
Interesting...I tried that but couldn’t find as good a deal as round trip, so ended up booking round trip after waiting about 2 months...I totally hear you. Drives me crazy too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter