Fisheye Lenses

10.5 is a super fun lens- I love mine!

186924418_Ekt53-M.jpg

You must have been really high up, I could swear I can see the curvature of the earth... ;)

Nice shots. I would like to play around with a fisheye some day. Well, we did once in high school biology, but that was a real fish eye... they're kind of like super bouncy balls... nevermind... :lmao:

LMBO!!! That's hilarious. The most I ever did in high school biology was have a frog egg fight....it was pretty gross and we all got detention. :rotfl2:

I do love my fisheye lenses. :) (Although, my poor Zenitar 16mm fisheye is pretty much just gathering dust now - a very fine lens but unable to give the full 180' effect that my 10-17mm can do.)

I haven't done much "landscape" shooting with mine, just once or twice. I generally like it best when used near a building, pole, or some other structure that will help accentuate the fisheye effect. I also enjoy using it for on-ride photos on Big Thunder Mt Railroad, Expedition Everest, and some other rides.

I am looking for a inexpensive fisheye lens to use on a nikon d80. Does anyone know of any?

The MC Zenitar 16 (sounds like a Russian rap star) is a semi-fisheye on 1.6x crop cameras and can often be found for $100 - $150. It is a full manual lens but good copies are fairly sharp.

How inexpensive is inexpensive. My suggestion is to find a local dealer that rents lens. If you have a particular need rent at 10.5 for the weekend or the day.

For $200, you will not be able to get "full" fisheye.

The Zenitar is a great lens but the prices have gone up lately. Out of curiousity, I checked Pentax-mount ones and they're getting very close to $200 (or more) now, I would imagine that Nikon-mount ones are the same price (they have been in the past.)

Like Bob says, it's fully manual. That means manual focus and manual exposure. On my Pentax-mount one, that means aiming then stopping down the lens (in manual mode) to get exposure. It only takes a moment but it is an extra step.

Focusing isn't a big deal though as the depth of field is so large on such a wide lens. The lens is very sharp and fairly fast (F2.8) and is very fun to use.

Your only other option is maybe a Peleng 8mm lens. It's another one designed for film, but it's a full circular fisheye, which means that on a film camera, you get a circle with black edges. Cropped on a DSLR, you get small black corners, which is closer to what a "proper" fisheye will give you. I think the Peleng is slightly more expensive though, and will be full-manual as well.

I think I'll just have to step up to the plate and get a nikon one. Thank god for the goverment tax check...:cool1:

Yeah, the 10.5 nikkor is really the best option for a D80. The tokina 10-17 FE is slower, but has the versitility of becoming a pretty decent wide angle will less fisheye distortion at the longer end. It can be found for about $150 less than the nikon 10.5mm.

I like the 10.5 so much that I still keep it and use it on the D3, even though it's a DX lens.

I was going to recommend the Tokina, too. Nothing against the Nikon, but the zoom gives you a lot of flexibility. I have virtually the same lens (it's a Pentax design, that's the one I have), and it's surprised me at how sharp it is many times. There is some purple fringing, but this happens with any fisheye lens - I'm not sure if there's noticeably more than the non-zoom fisheye. I think the main thing you give up with the Tokina vs the Nikon is the speed - but I don't generally think of fisheyes as low-light lenses, and they're so wide that you don't need really fast shutter speeds to get good results.

Am intending to get a fisheye lens in the near future to go on my D80.

Am looking at the Sigma diagonal f2.8 fisheyes (either the 10mm or 15mm) and the Tokina 10-17mm zoom (f3.5-4.5) fisheye. Prices for all 3 seem similar and i've not been able to find many reviews of any of them.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these lenses?

Is the gain of a zoom on the Tokina of benefit compared to not having zoom on the sigma primes but the sigma are faster.

I guess also if i go for sigma would the 10 or 15 be better?

I only intend to own one fisheye at any one time and it'll be used for a whole variety of locations - where-ever i think i can get an interesting picture.

If you're looking at a fisheye for the D80, you can probably skip the Sigma 15mm. It won't give you the "full" fisheye look, that lens is designed to give a fisheye image on a 35mm film camera or full-frame DSLR like the Nikon D3.

I have no experience with the Sigma, but the Tokina is basically a Pentax design, but with a few barrel changes and without their signature SMC coating. I have the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye and use it quite often and love it to death. There is a little bit of CA but this is pretty much a given with any 10mm lens. I do spend most of my time at 10mm but the ability to go to 17mm does add a lot of flexibility.

Example... last night, we were at a fireworks show. The widest non-fisheye lens I had with me was my Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 - and we were just too close to get everything in frame consistently with it. I slapped on the 10-17mm, set it to 17mm, and that easily did the trick.

That's not the best example since I should have had a wider non-fisheye lens, but it is nice to have the zoom.

Now, ideally it'd be F2.8 and zoom, but you can't have everything I guess... you give up a half-stop of aperture but gain the zoom.

If you're looking for reviews, the Pentax 10-17mm reviews should be pretty good reference for the Tokina.

If you're looking at a fisheye for the D80, you can probably skip the Sigma 15mm. It won't give you the "full" fisheye look, that lens is designed to give a fisheye image on a 35mm film camera or full-frame DSLR like the Nikon D3.

I have no experience with the Sigma, but the Tokina is basically a Pentax design, but with a few barrel changes and without their signature SMC coating. I have the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye and use it quite often and love it to death. There is a little bit of CA but this is pretty much a given with any 10mm lens. I do spend most of my time at 10mm but the ability to go to 17mm does add a lot of flexibility.

Example... last night, we were at a fireworks show. The widest non-fisheye lens I had with me was my Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 - and we were just too close to get everything in frame consistently with it. I slapped on the 10-17mm, set it to 17mm, and that easily did the trick.

That's not the best example since I should have had a wider non-fisheye lens, but it is nice to have the zoom.

Now, ideally it'd be F2.8 and zoom, but you can't have everything I guess... you give up a half-stop of aperture but gain the zoom.

If you're looking for reviews, the Pentax 10-17mm reviews should be pretty good reference for the Tokina.

Thanks Groucho. Will take a look at the Pentax reviews for reference.

Last weekend, my sister's family and my family headed down to Sampson State Park to meet up with my father, who was heading there via boat. I'd never heard of it before but hey, it was an excuse to get out of the house! It's located along Seneca Lake, not far from Watkins Glen, and was originally a Naval training base then later an Air Force training base.

We only had a pretty small tent which would be tight with our now 4-strong family, and I was lucky (and quick) enough to score a 17x17 4-room tent on Craigslist for $30 - a real steal! After setting it up and blowing up some inflatable mattresses, the kids had fun jumping all over them (probably making them even leakier in the process.) Jack's in the red shirt, the rest are cousins.

Camping2009-02.jpg

Camping2009-05.jpg

My cousin is in charge of the fire; I used it as an excuse to play with my F1.2.

SampsonSP2009-04.jpg

We visited some playgrounds...

Camping2009-25.jpg

Camping2009-26.jpg

Camping2009-30.jpg

...meanwhile, Leila slept through the whole thing.

Camping2009-37.jpg

We visited the Sampson Memorial Museum, which was pretty interesting. Here's some of the items on display... F1.2 on the first one.

SampsonSP2009-08.jpg

SampsonSP2009-14.jpg

I didn't know they got to fly kites!

SampsonSP2009-15.jpg

SampsonSP2009-17.jpg

Boy, don't these sounds yummy! :eek: The "dinner" to the right was pretty much "biscuits" and cigarettes. Bleah!

SampsonSP2009-24.jpg

SampsonSP2009-26.jpg

SampsonSP2009-27.jpg

Self portrait!

SampsonSP2009-28.jpg

SampsonSP2009-31.jpg

SampsonSP2009-34.jpg

SampsonSP2009-35.jpg

Here's my father getting a shot, my version is below.

SampsonSP2009-41.jpg

SampsonSP2009-42.jpg

SampsonSP2009-45.jpg

It was a little cold and very windy the first couple days... fortunately there was only a little rain, but it was certainly too rough to go out onto the boat until the last day. This shot somewhat conveys the weather.

SampsonSP2009-49.jpg

We eventually ended up piling in the cars and driving to see some fireworks; I didn't even bother taking the camera with me. I just didn't feel like bothering with the whole tripod-remote shutter release project. It would have been tough anyway, as I was in charge of corralling Jack, and that's a full-time job!

That night, I did use the tripod for some fire shots.

SampsonSP2009-53.jpg

(continued in next post)

The next day, I decided to play with M42 lenses a little. I mounted the Zeiss 135mm and got this as the first shot - I was pretty happy with it!

Camping2009-46.jpg

We did go out on the boat for a little while. I didn't do a lot of shooting onboard but I did do a quick flower shot.

SampsonSP2009-59.jpg

Being July 4th weekend, I'll end it on a patriotic note.

SampsonSP2009-60.jpg

I hope you enjoyed!

It was a little cold and very windy the first couple days... fortunately there was only a little rain, but it was certainly too rough to go out onto the boat until the last day. This shot somewhat conveys the weather.

SampsonSP2009-49.jpg

This is an incredible shot! I usually pass right by water shots because they all look the same - but this one is outstanding. :goodvibes

Glad you had a good trip! :)

That looks like a lot of fun. Great pics, as usual. ;)

What kind of camera is your Dad using?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter