Fisheye Lenses

the colors seem really saturated and it's a fun fun lens...i'm easily amused but it actually makes me laugh ( which makes people run away from me since they think i'm a bit nuts so that could be good or bad, depends)
took it to the beach
20070829muralandfairportbeach137cop.jpg

20070829muralandfairportbeach136cop.jpg

and the arboretum
2007082710-17andarboretum018copy.jpg

i may end up with more self portraits than i would like till i get used to it
2007082710-17andarboretum017copy.jpg

but even at 12 it isn't very fishy with a slight crop so i feel it's a good buy
2007082710-17andarboretum022copy.jpg

i meant to do this thread last weekend so if i did and just can't find it SORRY for the repeat!

I can almost see you standing on the beach laughing. ;)

Glad you are having fun with it. Someday I would love to get one...........someday.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! The only thing I'd found that is really weird about shooting with it is that somethings you have to get really close to something to get the shot that you're after. I've gotten some pretty crazy photos of my son this way. :)

I can't wait to use mine at Disneyland next week!

yeah 17 looks like it's miles away even when you are right on top of it..must be why you can focus so close. and as usual i have my focus problems...evidently i am not focusing my eyes or something since for some reason i don't look where i think i am focusing ( ie the flowers in the close up aren't all that focused so as usual user error applies )

I would like to get DD a fisheye lens for Xmas and have a few questions.

1. can I get one for a Canon S3
2. what is the ' average ' cost

thanks

You need a DSLR to be able to switch lenses. A camera like the S3 only has the lens it came with. I believe that some companies make a plastic filter that will attempt to give you a slightly "fishy" look but the optical quality will be pretty poor.

The good news is that you'll be saving a lot of money. :) I have a completely manual Russian fisheye that cost about $150, and my current fisheye was about $325 after rebate and costs closer to $550-600 in Canon and Nikon mount! Yikes! :)

I've been intrigued by fisheye pics in the past but after seeing Groucho's fisheye shots in his Disneyland thread I started getting serious LBA!! :crazy2: I've spent the last several days with it sitting in my shopping cart at buydig, reading reviews about it on some of the other photography boards all while trying to tell myself that it was a luxury lens that I really didn't need but I finally caved last night (one can only have so much willpower you know!!). I pressed the purchase button and hopefully it will be arriving at my office Tuesday.:yay:

This photography board can be dangerous...and expensive!!:rolleyes1

Sorry, and not so sorry. ;) It's a lot of fun. My next batch of photos (which I don't think I have time to post right now but in a few hours maybe) are all fisheyes I think. :teeth: It's a lot of fun, and it's so much cheaper than the same lens in a C/N mount that it's extra hard to resist! :)

I've hardly touched my camera since our vacation in June and I've been agonizing this past week about how to change my current setup of the 18-55 and 50-200 so I took my camera with me today to a UMaine field hockey game to hopefully give me a feel for what I want to change (didn't help much, I'm still just as undecided!!:teeth:).

The one thing I did decide is that I really want a longer lens, possibly the Tamron 70-300 Di. I've also been eyeing the Sigma 17-70 as a replacement for my 18-55 or the Tamron 18-250 which would replace both the 18-55 and 50-200. My main reason for replacing the 18-55 is to get more of a walkaround lens, having a hard time though deciding if I want to give up my 50-200 but I've read very good reviews about the 18-250 and it would be a great walkaround lens. Decisions, decisions!!:crazy2:

I didn't do much, if any, PP on these. Just sharpened a few and constructive criticism is welcomed.;)

Here's a couple taken at Acadia National Park with my 18-55 a few weeks ago...

Thunder Hole (wasn't "thundering" that day though)

IMGP2270-1.jpg

Notice the fog bank rolling in off in the distance

IMGP2273-1.jpg

Fisheye photos (I just got this lens, haven't had any real good fisheye photo opportunities yet, these are the best I could do so far)

IMGP2287-1.jpg

IMGP2288-1.jpg

IMGP2346.jpg

IMGP2344.jpg

High school field hockey this week (playing around with the PE software)

IMGP23082-1.jpg

UMaine fieldhockey (one fisheye, the rest my 50-200)

IMGP23132.jpg

IMGP23152.jpg

IMGP23282.jpg

If you look closely near the left knee of #11 you'll see the ball in the goal, and the Providence goalie on the ground.:teeth: I can't grin too much though because Maine was undefeated until today.:sad1:

IMGP2331-1.jpg

Nice work!

The football field is a good candidate for a fisheye - it seems like many of the big "whole-arena" sporting prints that I occasionally see for sale are fisheye photos. (But nobody pays less attention to sports than me, so I'm no authority in that regard, but I have seen 'em in people's offices and such. :) )

I know what you mean about more reach, and I definitely want more speed in my longer-range zoom. Pentax has a 60-250mm F4 on their roadmap for December this year (though I wouldn't be surprised to see it pushed back a little bit), but it's a DA* lens which means big bucks... sigh! Also a 300mm F4 DA* is coming but considering the big prices that their used 300mm F4s go for, it won't be cheap, either... but at least you only get a tasteful gold ring on the lens not big gaudy white paint when you spend that much. :lmao: :rotfl2:

The football field is a good candidate for a fisheye

Funny you should say that, I threw the fisheye lens in my bag before heading to the game but I really wasn't thinking I was going to have any fisheye opportunities until we sat down in the bleachers at the 50 yd line and I looked out at the field...the first pic I took was with the fisheye.:)

I recall my Dad using one of those when he worked for Nikon back in the 70's.

I'd like to see someone try to cram that lens cap in their pocket while shooting. :rotfl2:

OMGosh..... :lmao: :lmao:
Looking at Groucho's fisheye shots of his vacation has made me interested..but certainly not this one..:rotfl2:

220 Degree Angle? Is that on a DX or full frame camera? :rolleyes:

Great now everyone is going to bid the price up...
THANKS!!!

Hehehehehhee

Mikeeee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter