First trip with my dad's guide dog -- any tips?

Gina

Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
Hi all! Our little Disney gang (myself, my 8 year old, my aunt, and my dad) are headed back to WDW after a 2-year hiatus. My father, who has diabetic retinopathy, has unfortunately had his eyesight deteriorate to where he now has a guide dog. Not that that slows my dad down any!! :)

We will be at ASMo from Feb. 2-6. I have received the guests-with-disabilities brochures for the parks from Disney, but I was just wondering if anyone experienced with this has any special tips for us that we migth not think of?

Thanks so much!

-gina-

Welcome to disABILITIES. :wave:
Hopefully some of the people who have been to WDW with Service Animals will reply to your thread.
I can't help you directly since we have never traveled with one. Having the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities is a good start.
The one tip I would give you (just from what I have read) is to be aware of which rides/attractions do not allow Service Animals. Someone had posted quite a while ago, upset because their dog was not allowed on some attractions. She was not prepared for that, felt she was being discriminated against and didn't have anyone to stay with the dog while she rode (if the dog can't go, someone in your party has to stay with the dog). If you read the Guidebook, the rides that are not recommended for Service Animals are usually ones with sudden loud noises, explosions or other things that would be distressing or dangerous situations for the dog. It helps to know ahead of time.

Have a great trip.

We just got back with two of our friends with two service dogs. Remember to carry those guide books with you to the parks so you know where to take the dog for potty breaks. We would also use one of those areas for their feeding and watering areas since it was quiet and off behind everything. The cast members are very helpful to get you to the proper areas for the dogs. There are rides that the dogs cannot ride on, but they do allow dog swap like baby swap. We did not have to use that since there was always someone in our group that did not want to ride one of the rides that would sit out with the dogs. Also, get the GAC the first day for your trip at guest relations.

We found that everyone would want to come up and pet the dogs and we always felt bad telling them that the dogs could not be petted while working. We would explain that while they were working, they were working, but when their leads came off, then they could be petted and they became normal dogs. Your dog will become the center of attention at the parks. Also, one of our dogs hated the loud noises and fireworks, she would shake and shiver; I don't know if she will ever be the same from the trip!

Thank you so much! Um, what is a GAC?? And Newley is used to being the center of attention... this is the most mild-mannered, laid-back dog I have ever seen. He was trained very well, I think. We went to see fireworks a few weeks ago, and they were LOUD -- right over us -- and he didn't even bat an eye. We knew then that little at WDW will faze him. :)

But I guess I need to figure out what this GAC is...

-gina-

Gina said:
Thank you so much! Um, what is a GAC?? And Newley is used to being the center of attention... this is the most mild-mannered, laid-back dog I have ever seen. He was trained very well, I think. We went to see fireworks a few weeks ago, and they were LOUD -- right over us -- and he didn't even bat an eye. We knew then that little at WDW will faze him. :)

But I guess I need to figure out what this GAC is...

-gina-
GAC is a Guest Assistance Card (we call them GACs for short, on this board so we don't have to type so much). You may not need one because the CMs will be able to see that you are traveling with a serice animal. People with standard wheelchairs or ecvs don't usually need a GAC either (unless their wheelchair doesn't look like a wheelchair or they have additional needs that are not taken care of just by using a wheelchair).
In general, it's a tool for CMs to know what sorts of assistance are needed, more useful for people with invisible disabilities, or things besides their visible disability. That might be things like needing extra time to board rides or needing a quieter space to wait, needing to avoid stairs. The GAC is individualized to the needs of person it is issued to; so someone who needs to wait out of the sun will have a GAC with something like "allow to wait in a shaded area when the queue is in the sun for extended periods of time."
GACs are not meant to (and usually won't) shorten or elminate the time spent waiting in line.
GACs are requested by the person with a disabililty at Guest Services in any park. They are usually issued to be valid the length of your stay and usually for up to 6 people (5 people plus the person with a disability). You don't need to get one in each park; they are valid at all the theme parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter