First Trip to Universal

My niece went on the March Break. And said when she went on rides not included in her Express Pass (purchased, not hotel), the wait was insane. And she wishes she had purchased VIP?? instead.
She mentioned that the difference between the two choices was not that great. As Express was already a hefty add-on.

But this was a one day visit.

But besides talking about the insane crowds, she did Disney on the same trip so it was a comparable, she had a great time.

And her eldest (10) and the adults loved the roller coasters.

My niece went on the March Break. And said when she went on rides not included in her Express Pass (purchased, not hotel), the wait was insane. And she wishes she had purchased VIP?? instead.
She mentioned that the difference between the two choices was not that great. As Express was already a hefty add-on.

But this was a one day visit.

But besides talking about the insane crowds, she did Disney on the same trip so it was a comparable, she had a great time.

And her eldest (10) and the adults loved the roller coasters.
Two pieces of good news for the OP here: One, March break is far more crowded than the last half of August. And two, fortunately only two major attractions do not have EP - Hagrid and Velocicoaster.

Those are both must do IMHO. And doable fairly easily in August, with a little planning. To date, when Hagrid is very busy, they switch to a virtual line with assigned times - so no need to wait physically in line for hours. Never used it myself, as it simply was not crowded enough last August for it to kick in.

Assuming that holds this year for the OP, the strategy is to high tail it to those rides at rope drop, or hit them just before close. Hagrid has the longer, slower line; we rode it multiple times (beginning or end of day) with waits between 20-40 minutes. VC was much easier - one day we got there right after open, and got three rides in under 30 minutes. Which, frankly, at my age first thing in the morning is quite enough.

Another bit of "insider" advice for the OP I do not think I have mentioned - if early entry for resort guests is at just one park - ie either IOA or Studios only, not both - avoid the one with early admission. Instead, head to the other one and get in line 30 minutes before the scheduled open. You'll find almost everyone will head to the the park with EE, and most days the gates open at least a few minutes early.

This works best with the current line up if the Studios have EE. For example - our trip last August. The Studios had early entry all week - 8AM. IOA scheduled to open at 9. We had the unlimited EPs with our stay at Royal Pacific, but IOA has the two rides without EPs. So first day we queued up around 8:30, with just a few people ahead of us (they have multiple gates to line up at, all in a row). Let us in about 8:50; we walked quickly to VC, and kept walking right on to the ride.

This strategy works for those with or without EPs; as those who have EPs almost always target those rides first (cause they're not worried about lining up for anything else), you would think those without express would perhaps take advantage of that and hit the other big attractions instead first thing, with the EP crowds all running to the back of the park. But people being people, it seems almost everyone makes a beeline for those two at open.

There are those that will head to Studios during EE, and if they have park-to-park get on the first Hoqsmeade train to IOA, which lets you off right beside Hagrids. But it seems the train doesn't allow boarding until 9AM, meaning the earliest you will arrive on the other side is probably 9:10-9:15. And by then lots of rope drop people are already in line.

Hope I'm not getting too technical here. I think the bottom line is, with a stay that long that time of year there is indeed little need for planning. Use the early entry for Volcano Bay, rope drop the other parks and hit the Harry Potter areas plus VC first .... and I think you're golden.

My only other recommendation - we've tried all the pools at Universal aside from Endless Summer. CB's is great - most are. But if you're going to hop over to try another one just once, I'd suggest the Hard Rock. Probably the liveliest pool - maybe too much of a party atmosphere for some if it's late at night - but great for kids and teens during the day.

iTwo pieces of good news for the OP here: One, March break is far more crowded than the last half of August. And two, fortunately only two major attractions do not have EP - Hagrid and Velocicoaster.

Those are both must do IMHO. And doable fairly easily in August, with a little planning. To date, when Hagrid is very busy, they switch to a virtual line with assigned times - so no need to wait physically in line for hours. Never used it myself, as it simply was not crowded enough last August for it to kick in.
Thank you for clarifying and adding very pertinent information.

Ontario here too. We're going to be coming back on the 27th though.
We'll be there too then (combo trip with Disney if Annual Passes at WDW are back on sale)! Also from ON.

We were there for the first time on March Break and had an absolute ball. Because we were there for 5 days, and with a toddler and covid long-hauler, we took a fairly relaxed approach. We still managed to get to lots of rides despite the crowds with a one-night booking at Royal Pacific which gave us Express Passes, as well as the Express Passes after 4 p.m. as we got Annual Passes.

We rope-dropped Early Entry every day. Honestly some of our favourite memories are when we were soaking up the atmosphere in Wizarding World before it got too busy. This includes visiting Ollivanders, doing the magic in the windows, enjoying special treats, browsing in shops, and interacting with the staff who are in character. We got an interactive wand early and it was the source of a lot of amusement for all of us.

The ride lines suck up so many people that we were immersed in the enchantment.

Enjoy your planning!!!

That is hilarious. We are there the 21-28th, also driving from Ontario. Maybe we will see each other!
Can I ask who u booked with and what your cost was? I haven’t booked yet but I have found that Costco travel seems to be the best price so far. For 8 nights for a family suite (exterior entry) and 4 base tickets to universal and adventure island it’s $3023 CAD. On our way home we r going to myrtle beach for 2 nights. I think we are also going to take 3 days to drive there and home. We did it in 2 days to Disney and it was exhausting

Are there any Canadian deals for Universal? Thinking of going Jan 6-10 after a cruise. Do we need 4 day tickets or less? We are DVC so we could use points on either end to reduce the room cost… Which hotel with EP included should we stay at and how many nights (Harry Potter loving kids 5, 8, 10)? Thanks for any advice!

Can I ask who u booked with and what your cost was? I haven’t booked yet but I have found that Costco travel seems to be the best price so far. For 8 nights for a family suite (exterior entry) and 4 base tickets to universal and adventure island it’s $3023 CAD. On our way home we r going to myrtle beach for 2 nights. I think we are also going to take 3 days to drive there and home. We did it in 2 days to Disney and it was exhausting
So we booked straight through Universal and got a family suite with external entry for 5 nights. $2648 USD and that includes 5 days 3 park-to park-tickets. We decided to spend the extra on the 3 park to park because we want to ride the Hogwarts express and we will spend a ton of time at the water park.
I mistyped when I did the dates. We get home on the 28th but leave Florida on the 26th.
We have done straight thru and 2 dyas and we plan on two nights on the way home with a stop in Buffalo for some shopping. So two short days with one really long day. We also have 3 drivers.

Lol I can’t believe how similar our trips are. Hope u have a great time! Any suggestions of where to stay on the way down?

Lol I can’t believe how similar our trips are. Hope u have a great time! Any suggestions of where to stay on the way down?
So we are doing a fairly weird grouping. You could definitely do quicker but this works for us the best. We are driving from Barrie to Windsor the Friday night after work. We will be there about 10 pm. Probably staying at TownePlace downtown (will book closer at whoever has the best rates). Then leaving at 5am Saturday morning and doing a long drive to Valdosta, Georgia. Planning on staying at the Hampton Inn. There is a Walmart right near there that we will pick up a case of water/pop and some snacks fro the room. Then drive the last 3 hours to Cabana Bay leaving at 6am. We will be there just around park opening and away we go!

So we are doing a fairly weird grouping. You could definitely do quicker but this works for us the best. We are driving from Barrie to Windsor the Friday night after work. We will be there about 10 pm. Probably staying at TownePlace downtown (will book closer at whoever has the best rates). Then leaving at 5am Saturday morning and doing a long drive to Valdosta, Georgia. Planning on staying at the Hampton Inn. There is a Walmart right near there that we will pick up a case of water/pop and some snacks fro the room. Then drive the last 3 hours to Cabana Bay leaving at 6am. We will be there just around park opening and away we go!
Hello neighbor, I’m in Orillia! We will go through Buffalo, Pittsburg etc. Good idea about getting supplies at a Walmart! I just bought a toaster to bring with us for breakfast in our hotel. I think we will drive 8 hours day one, 8 hours day 2 and then it should only be a 4 hour drive to Orlando. I booked it 2 days ago through Costco. It was the best deal I could find

We are at WDW the last week of August and are thinking about moving over to Universal for the last 3 nights of our stay. I’ve looked at all of the resorts and am leaning towards Portofino or one of the other premier resorts that include the express passes. They all seem to be regular hotel rooms that sleep 5 with a rollaway, vs some of the lowerothers (like endless summer) that have family suites. We are a family of 5 and want to maximize our 3 days at the parks (and not wait in line). Is Portofino or Hard Rock the way to go, or should we stay at one of the basic resorts and add on express pass?

We were there for spring break and will be there in August also. Volcano Bay is amazing and the best water park I've ever been to. There will likely be thunderstorms almost every afternoon and crowds are generally low right after and into the evening. You'll likely have no issues getting everything done even with lots of breaks and no planning. Also, the parks are right next to each other so park to park tickets are ideal.
We are booked for August as well! 21 - 31! RPR. So excited!:flower:Have a great time!

We are at WDW the last week of August and are thinking about moving over to Universal for the last 3 nights of our stay. I’ve looked at all of the resorts and am leaning towards Portofino or one of the other premier resorts that include the express passes. They all seem to be regular hotel rooms that sleep 5 with a rollaway, vs some of the lowerothers (like endless summer) that have family suites. We are a family of 5 and want to maximize our 3 days at the parks (and not wait in line). Is Portofino or Hard Rock the way to go, or should we stay at one of the basic resorts and add on express pass?

It is really a personal thing. I don't think you need to purchase express passes in advance. I'd probably give it a try and see what you think first. It is generally a lower crowd season.

We'll be there too then (combo trip with Disney if Annual Passes at WDW are back on sale)! Also from ON.

We were there for the first time on March Break and had an absolute ball. Because we were there for 5 days, and with a toddler and covid long-hauler, we took a fairly relaxed approach. We still managed to get to lots of rides despite the crowds with a one-night booking at Royal Pacific which gave us Express Passes, as well as the Express Passes after 4 p.m. as we got Annual Passes.

We rope-dropped Early Entry every day. Honestly some of our favourite memories are when we were soaking up the atmosphere in Wizarding World before it got too busy. This includes visiting Ollivanders, doing the magic in the windows, enjoying special treats, browsing in shops, and interacting with the staff who are in character. We got an interactive wand early and it was the source of a lot of amusement for all of us.

The ride lines suck up so many people that we were immersed in the enchantment.

Enjoy your planning!!!

Last edited:
That is hilarious. We are there the 21-28th, also driving from Ontario. Maybe we will see each other!
Too funny! We are also coming from Ontario - Aug 27th - Sept 4th and staying at Cabana Bay. We have been to Universal once before.

Sorry I have two teenage boys though! Lol! Ages 17 and 14.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter