• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Trip to RPR 12/27-12/31

djmpj

Earning My Ears
Hello!
We are excited.. we are leaving in 2.5 weeks. We have never been before. I need advice...

I have my AAA card and my Fan Club card from work. I made sure both are noted on my reservation, but it is such a busy week, should we expect to see anything from them? In fact, I am calling daily to try and stay one extra night (but they are booked solid on NYE - have been since I made my reservation). Should I ask about the upgrade anyway at checin-in? What about the milk and cookies deal? or wine and nuts?

Can you get a refig. in the room? We always did this at WDW and it enabled us to eat breakfast and a nighlty snack in the room. Saved some $$ that way.

I am travelling with my DH and 2 DSs (ages 8 and 10).
Anything we should not miss, Anyplace in particular we should eat? I am buying the 5 day pass for the price of 2 through the Universal website. We are driving down in our Minivan from NJ (have done this before to WDW).

Will it be too cold to swim? How should we dress? Shorts/jeans? jackets? The parks are open till 11pm so I am thinking it will get chilly.

Last, any suggestions of what to do on New Years Eve?
We might not have a room at RPR but we'll be in town :-)

Thanks for your help
DJ

U can request a fridge i think someone posted its $15/night so pretty expensive I would suggest a cooler and fill with ice a cheaper alternative as for the upgrade you need to join loews rewards progam but as you say as its so busy not much chance but still am sure you will have a great time:jester:

What is Lowe's reward program? I'm assuming you have to have stayed in a Lowe's resort before, which we have not.

Thanks for the cooler suggestion. Are there Ice Machines on each floor in the hotel?

DJ

I am sure ther are ice machines on all floors as for the Loews card u can register online for the blue card as I did if u do not get your card before checking in call them and they will give you your card no on the website you will see the benefits listed although because most people book there rooms with some form of discount rate its hit and miss if u get benefits but my view is no harm in asking:jester:

Thanks so much highlander! Before you know it, its your turn!:bounce:

We will be staying at the RPH the same dates as you plus New Years Eve. Why not book New Years Eve through hotelkingdom.com. I believe that the standard room rate is $219. We used them last year for the HRH, and got a great rate over Christmas. Also, Mastercard has a special on tickets- buy 4 5 day passes, get the 5th free. I realize that you only have 4 in your family, but maybe you could sell it or use it another time. Also, your AAA card can be used for a 10% discount at all Citywalk stores and restaurants. We will also be driving down from NY. Last year, the weather was nice, around mid to upper 70's. The year before, it was cold- 50's and 60's. Unfortunately, you really have to pack for all types of weather. Last year on New Years Eve, we ate at Mamma Dellas at PBH. It was really good. This year, I think the kids just want to hang out at the parks and watch the fireworks. Last year it poured so no fireworks! You will love Universal and their on site hotels. We will never stay anywhere else. Those front of the line passes are wonderful! 2.5 weeks and counting.....Have fun!

See you guys there! We are leaving xmas day about 2pm and will drive straight thru again. Driving back to NJ on the 3rd:wave:

We are driving down from Mobile, AL and will be at RPR from December 30th thru January 2nd. Our first visit to Universal since IOA was built.

Paige3, I did actually make my room reservation through hotelkingdom but they said there was nothing available for NYE. I have been checking back daily with them and the hotel directly.

Regarding Park Tickets.. isn't the deal universal has on their site better than the Mastercard special? I am buying (4) 5 day passes for the price of 2 day passes.

We will be driving from NJ too... Middlesex county.

For those of you going the same dates as me.. did you pay the $219 rate? That is what I got through HotelKingdom.

Just how crowded should we expect the parks to be?

DJ

Yup we are payin $219/nite

Crowds dont matter with FOTL

We should have a CONVOY!:eek:

djmpj, When I go to hotelkingdom.com, it shows that Dec.31st is available for $219. Also, maybe I am reading the ticket deals wrong- someone help me out! To me, it looks like the mastercard offer of buy 4, 5 consecutive day tickets get the 5th free, will cost around $360. Isn't that the same price as the 4, 5 day passes for the price of 2 day passes? Both about $360 but with the mastercard offer you get an extra pass? I'm so confused!! Also, the parks were mobbed last year over Christmas vacation. You will be SO happy that you have the front of the line passes!

Hey.. guess what? I got NYE reservation added to our trip today through Hotel Kingdom.. Yeah.. very happy.

Where is this Mastercard offer in writing? Would have to read it to tell which is better. How much are you paying per 5 day consecutive pass? Where are you buying them?

Is this the link?

http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/hollywood/website/master_card.html

If so, be careful! It says these are SINGLE day tickets.

<<Use your MasterCard to purchase 4 regularly-priced adult Universal Studios Hollywood single-day tickets and receive the 5th ticket free! Only available here! (5th Ticket is also a single-day ticket. Offer cannot be combined with any other promotion or discount.)>>

It will cost you $359.80 for five one-day passes. Am I reading that correctly? That is very odd. That is more than the regular price of FIVE one day passes. Ugh.. I'm confused and there is no number to ask questions.

DJ

OK, I called and got details...

1-888-322-7119

For Florida they are 5 day bonus passes.
For California they are 1 day regular passes.

So, turns out this is a great deal. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! I was ordering 4 anyway and now we will get one free. What will I do with it? Have NO idea.. I guess I'll just hold it for a future trip!

DJ

djmpj

You asked about places to eat. I bet your boys will love NBA City. It is located on Citywalk. They have an area where the kids can play arcade style basketball games, along with several pop a shot type games. There is a place to get photos taken and they superimpose NBA player in the background. One of our favorite photos of our son was taken here. In the dining room, you can watch basketball from every table. Of course there is a gift shop! If my son were here, I am sure he would highly recommend it! We would eat all of our meals here if it were up to him. I like eating here too since it gives my husband and I some time alone while our son is in the game area.

Thanks for the info about the NBA place. We will definetly check it out. We leave a week from today. Very excited. The kids don't know about it yet. It will be a surprise for them. We are putting the 5 day passes under the tree as a gift.

Since I now have NYE included in my hotel reservation at RPR, any suggestions on what to do that night? My boys are 8 and 10. What goes on at the park on NYE, should we just plan on staying in the park all night? I wonder if they will be open past midnight.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

DJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter