First trip in a LONG time....can some of you knowledgeable people help me??

AllyandJack

* Here is where a picture of my girls would be, if
Hi, everyone! I haven't been to Disneyland since 1992. But, I have lots of family in CA and decided to cancel my Super Soap trip and take DH for his first ever trip to Disneyland.

The only time we can go (for various reasons) is Thanksgiving. Be honest. How awful is it? I went down to WDW over Thanksgiving once and it was a nightmare. We plan a Tuesday-Tuesday trip and we want to spend a day at Universal (so much better than the one in FL from what I remember) a day at Knott's Berry and, obviously, some time with family. We're not there to ride every possible ride (all adults), but we would like to have a nice time walking and shopping and seeing everything.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

We're unsure about a resort, but it'll be one of the 3 Disneyland Resorts, for sure.

Any books that are helpful for Disneyland/Universal/Knott's Berry planning?

Any secrets or "must see" things we need to know?

TIA :)

Disneyland is REALLY crowded Thanksgiving weekend. Lines will be long and there will be people everywhere...IF you go with the expectation that you won't be able to do very many attractions you might be ok, but if you just hate huge crowds, then stay away.

The new Passporter Disneyland guide has sections on Knott's Berry Farm and Universal Studios, also - those aren't as in depth as the Disneyland section, but still have some pretty good information.

Laura

Thanks, Laura. We're not really going into it trying to ride every ride. With all adults, we're fine with just being there to enjoy the atmosphere and the restaurants. The main purpose of the trip to CA is to see family, but I can't go near Disneyland and not go. :goodvibes I also can't stay near a Disneyland Resort and not actually stay at one.

I guess I'll just be prepared for it to be like WDW at Thanksgiving. I've been there in July and August and *thought* I was prepared for crowds, but I had no idea.

I went on a day trip on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving last year, and the crowds were about the same as mid-summer. I have heard that the weekend after Thanksgiving is really crowded, although in general crowds have been lower this year than last year as the 50th celebration winds down.

If it were me, I would use the Tuesday-Tuesday to go before TG if possible and then the weekdays after. I would use the Fri/Sat/Sun after TG to hit USH and Knott's, with maybe one day in there at DLR if you have the energy for that many days.

I have compiled a ton of DLR tips in this recent topic: "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599.

Also, if they are still showing the Remember Dreams Come True fireworks show at TG (no one knows for sure but it sounds like they will), DO NOT MISS IT. Take an evening to get to the hub early and get a spot. If it were me, I would get there 60 minutes early, depending on the night around TG. You might be able to get away with 30 minutes early if it is not on Fri/Sat/Sun.

If you have not seen Fantasmic at WDW, then see it at DL (even if you have seen it at WDW, many prefer the show at DL). It will show twice nightly during TG week - go to the later showing at 10:30PM and it will not be that hard to get a spot.

Finally, here are a few of my "rules" to help make sure you get to do the things you want.

"HydroGuy's Fireworks Rule" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199851

"HydroGuy's How To Avoid Long Lines Rules" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199856

"HydroGuy's Make Sure You Get On Your Favorite Ride Rule" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199860

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter