First timer with a few questions

To add to this, except for the River Belle Terrace Premium Package, the Fantasmic "seating" is on the ground; no chairs. Yes, even if you've paid for an expensive dinner at the Blue Bayou. There are a limited number of seats on the RBT patio.
Thank you for adding clarification! I thought about mentioning RBT Premium, but it's so hard to get a reservation and easily confused with the "regular" RBT for newbies! Your explanation is excellent!

Ive read up on the public transportation from the airport and I’ve seen some mixed reviews. Anyone here taken it? Is it sketch?
As a solo traveler, I've done it a bunch, and I'll just say this - with a family, I wouldn't do it.

Less that it's sketchy, more that it's an absolute slog-and-a-half (2.5 hours), especially during either rush hour. The 460 bus is a local through Norwalk, and it's more than an hour through that section alone. It's miserable. Comparatively speaking, the whole trip can feel "sketchy", but that really depends on your tolerance - like, if the idea of spending 90 minutes on a MARTA bus gives you hives, you might not enjoy it, especially during rush hour. (The 460 is pretty nice late-morning or early afternoon, but, again, it's such a slog.)

You shouldn't have a problem getting direct flights from ATL to either LAX, BUR, or SNA. LAX will be the cheapest by far, but then it comes with the inconvenience of getting to Anaheim. With a party of five - if you have to go through LAX, I would just hire a vehicle, even just an Uber/Lyft.

(If not the for the size of your party, I might suggest an alternate public transportation route, which would be the FlyAway bus to Union, then either Metrolink or Amtrak to ARTIC Anaheim, then Uber/Lyft to the hotel. But with a party of five, you're almost at the cost of an Uber/Lyft from LAX at that point, and the train trip is still about two hours.)

For the most part, I'd suggest what most folks here are saying - fly into SNA and take an Uber/Lyft. (I've done public transportation between SNA and DLR before, and it's also not awesome, mainly because there's not a direct route, so it turns a relatively quick trip into 60-90 minutes with at least one transfer.)

One wildcard possibility if you wanted to explore more of Los Angeles - I often fly into LAX and spend a night or two doing things around L.A. (ie, Universal), then (eventually) take the train from Union to Anaheim. From DLR, I'll go home via either SNA or LGB. (Side note: the LGB options for ATL aren't great, so I'd stick to SNA in that case, but LGB is another great option in/out of DLR.)

If you are eligible for Military Salute tickets, you will also be able to get the Military discount on the resort hotels (DLH, GCH, PPH) if they are offered during your stay. It is up to 40% of the rack rate of the rooms. This is a GREAT discount when available (limited rooms). You have to call to have the discount applied and to see if it is available for your dates. Call as far in advance as you can to book it.

We usually get a Lyft XL from SNA and it is around $35 and takes around 25 minutes to the Grand Californian Hotel (GCH).
I avoid LAX like the plague that it is.... It takes at least an hour to get out of that place if walking at a good pace. On the other hand, you can collect your luggage and walk over to the rideshare pick up point at SNA in usually around 10 minutes after you get off your flight. It just isn't worth it for me to go through LAX. (It is also usually cheaper for me to fly SNA because I'm from Denver, so your mileage may vary there!) Then from LAX, you have at least an hour if the traffic is in good shape. Rideshare is usually around $80 or so from LAX when I've looked in the past. With an XL maybe an additional $20 and could be a little more with surge pricing 🤷‍♀️ . The time cost and hassle of trying to use the public transit system just isn't worth it in my opinion. LA is a big sprawling place. And after a long flight from ATL, you are not going to want to spend another 3 hours on public transit.

ill buy my tickets once the military rates are announced and available at my nearby ITT office.
For military salutes tickets: if history repeats, get 3 day ticket with park hopper and Genie+. It is so nice they add G+ to DLR tickets unlike WDW. The proximity to both parks is so nice compared to WDW, you will be hopping back and forth, especially if you have G+.

Military hotel rates for the upcoming year open in November. Call ASAP when 2025 rooms open. They only allot a certain amount of rooms for the military salutes rate, but you can save BIG! And if it isn't available when you call, keep calling. Make sure you get the big discount not the pithily 10% off. I waited too long one year and had to call weekly hoping for an opening. My persistence paid off after months of calling, but I learned just call in November when rates open so you don't miss out. FWIW, I am partial to Grand Californian because it has direct access to DCA - something you don't get at any other Disney Park. Love the vibe of the hotel too. :thumbsup2

Lamplight Lounge would be my suggestion if you wanted a sit down dinner that isn't fancy.
Blue Bayou is more high end, but always a suggestion since you have the Pirates ride right beside it. Great too if you want F! package. Another one to book as soon as reservations drop.

For air travel out of ATL, I know Delta flies to SNA. That is the easiest airport to get to DLR. I would get an Uber or Lyft. Don't rent a car, especially if you are staying at a Disney resort, there is no need for it or the added expense of parking if you are staying in the bubble.

If you do transfer hotels from DLR to Harbor, hire an Uber as others have said, to move your luggage. Do not try to walk through Downtown Disney. You would have to get all of your luggage thoroughly searched at security. And if you have any items not allowed in the parks, you wouldn’t be let through anyway.

Looking over pricing and assuming all the military discounts come back:

It would cost me more to rent points for a 1 bedroom at GC for 4 nights than get the 40% discount. Although 2200 seems like a lot to spend for 4 nights in a room. Is the 30 minutes in the park worth it?

Is genie + or the new name, worth it if I were to do 4 days in the parks from 10-13 Jun? The busy charts suggest that 3 of the 4 are regular crowds and 1 busy day. Its a 112 dollar difference in 3 day and 4 day salute tickets with Genie +. Maybe get it for 1 day at the park if we are missing a ride or two? I see that the bigger rides aren’t on the genie + so that subtracts from the value.

edit: forgot that dining plans aren’t a thing.

Is 4 days at the parks really necessary?

Last edited:
If your kids ride all the stuff like your wife, I would definitely get the LLMP added. I don't think you will regret it. It does include a lot of big rides! The only ones that are Individual LL are Rise and Radiator Springs. (If you stay onsite, you can do early entry into DCA and ride RSR first so you don't have to add the additional expense if the individual LL.And there is always single rider for RSR, something we utilize every trip!)

Cost of staying on property is a very subjective thing. Honestly as someone that does stay on property (only with the significant military discount!) I know it is a crazy expense and I cannot say the perks are absolutely worth it. However, it is a splurge we simply love. If you are going to do it, my suggestion is Grand Californian, just because it is right there in DCA. Access inside the park! Something your Disney loving wife would find so cool. (I bet when you went to Tokyo Disney she eyed MiraCosta as it is right in DisneySEA.)

I know nothing about dining plans or DVC points hopefully someone can chime in and give you some help.

It would cost me more to rent points for a 1 bedroom at GC for 4 nights than get the 40% discount. Although 2200 seems like a lot to spend for 4 nights in a room. Is the 30 minutes in the park worth it?

Is genie + or the new name, worth it if I were to do 4 days in the parks from 10-13 Jun? The busy charts suggest that 3 of the 4 are regular crowds and 1 busy day. Its a 112 dollar difference in 3 day and 4 day salute tickets with Genie +. Maybe get it for 1 day at the park if we are missing a ride or two? I see that the bigger rides aren’t on the genie + so that subtracts from the value.

What about dining plans? Worth it? Does the fantasmic dining before the fireworks take it?
I don't know whose crowd level predictions you're looking at, but the consensus on this board is that they've been wildly inaccurate every since DL reopened after the pandemic. I like your idea of holding off on Genie+ (Lightning Lane Multi Pass) until you see whether you need it to catch some favorite rides. Don't forget that there are Lightning Lane Single Passes (formerly Individual Lightning Lanes) available for a few rides.

There is no dining plan available at Disneyland. There are dining or dessert packages available for Fantasmic, World of Color, and occasionally parades or fireworks.

If your kids ride all the stuff like your wife, I would definitely get the LLMP added. I don't think you will regret it. It does include a lot of big rides! The only ones that are Individual LL are Rise and Radiator Springs. (If you stay onsite, you can do early entry into DCA and ride RSR first so you don't have to add the additional expense if the individual LL.And there is always single rider for RSR, something we utilize every trip!)

Cost of staying on property is a very subjective thing. Honestly as someone that does stay on property (only with the significant military discount!) I know it is a crazy expense and I cannot say the perks are absolutely worth it. However, it is a splurge we simply love. If you are going to do it, my suggestion is Grand Californian, just because it is right there in DCA. Access inside the park! Something your Disney loving wife would find so cool. (I bet when you went to Tokyo Disney she eyed MiraCosta as it is right in DisneySEA.)

I know nothing about dining plans or DVC points hopefully someone can chime in and give you some help.
Is a 4 day ph worth it or just 3 days to get everything plus some done?

We are a 3 day family. That is a sweet spot for the parks, imho. And with the addition of a non park day to hang at pool and Downtown Disney, perfection!! ::yes::

I forgot to add earlier, that with Early Entry it is nice as you are on EST. You will be up already as your body clock is 3 hours ahead. You will take advantage easily. With that in mind though, you will be hard pressed to make the 2nd shows of F! and WOC if you don't take a mid day break. Just something to keep in mind.

Yay for you planning a surprise!! My advice is to rent a car to avoid public transportation from the airport, or spring for a driver service. Then once you're by DL if you're off property, I believe there is Anaheim local transport if you'd like to leave the car at the hotel. Most of the off property hotels tho are walkable IMO.
And no question is silly as we all started somewhere. :)

Yay for you planning a surprise!! My advice is to rent a car to avoid public transportation from the airport, or spring for a driver service. Then once you're by DL if you're off property, I believe there is Anaheim local transport if you'd like to leave the car at the hotel. Most of the off property hotels tho are walkable IMO.
And no question is silly as we all started somewhere. :)

Agree, avoid public transport. However, if OP is staying onsite or at a good neighbor hotel without venturing out of the vicinity, I wouldn't recommend a rental car. The daily parking fees at Disney hotels are crazy.

ATL-SNA would be my suggestion with an Uber/Lyft. Hopefully the price of SNA versus LAX will be minimal because the ease is worth a few extra dollars over LAX. Hands down. But if we are talking in the hundreds ... ugh, LAX for the win. Then I would get a car service so you don't have to finagle with the ride share lot which is a pain in the butt.

We are a 3 day family. That is a sweet spot for the parks, imho. And with the addition of a non park day to hang at pool and Downtown Disney, perfection!! ::yes::

I forgot to add earlier, that with Early Entry it is nice as you are on EST. You will be up already as your body clock is 3 hours ahead. You will take advantage easily. With that in mind though, you will be hard pressed to make the 2nd shows of F! and WOC if you don't take a mid day break. Just something to keep in mind.
What time does WOC typically start? The site says it’s down for refurbishment and im not seeing times out to November 10th.

Also why are you a 3 day family? Yall experts and know when to hit the rides to maximize times? Yall just ride everything once and are good?

Last edited:
What time does WOC typically start? The site says it’s down for refurbishment and im not seeing times out to November 10th.

Also why are you a 3 day family? Yall experts and know when to hit the rides to maximize times? Yall just ride everything once and are good?
If i remember correctly, summer WOC is 9pm for first show, 10:15pm second.

You can explore both the parks without feeling rushed with 3 full days even without being a DL regular.

Yes, we use Early Entry, Single Rider, LLMP, and try our hardest to get Multi Experience Pass (a beast for another day, if your wife does G+ at WDW she’ll know this hack, small tweak at DL.) We ride stuff several times. We’d never be good with only riding GOTG once. We strive to get all 5 songs. 😉

If i remember correctly, summer WOC is 9pm for first show, 10:15pm second.

You can explore both the parks without feeling rushed with 3 full days even without being a DL regular.

Yes, we use Early Entry, Single Rider, LLMP, and try our hardest to get Multi Experience Pass (a beast for another day, if your wife does G+ at WDW she’ll know this hack, small tweak at DL.) We ride stuff several times. We’d never be good with only riding GOTG once. We strive to get all 5 songs. 😉
Agree with all of this, and we usually go for 3 day PH with G+ also. But we have been many times (we go about twice a year), so we know our way around the parks, know some walking short cuts, know where we like to eat, know what shows we like etc.

As first timers, you will spend more time than my family does, just finding your way around the parks! It will seem familiar in some ways to MK at WDW when you are at DL, but not the same. This actually really threw me off when we first started to visit DLR after only going to WDW for about 4 years. I would think I knew where I was going, only to end up somewhere else (as the layouts are different at WDW, but “familiar” enough to confuse!).

Another thing to consider is if you want to take mid day breaks. It is really not feasible for us at WDW due to the time it takes to get back to your resort, even when staying on property. At DLR, the onsite hotels and many of the closer off site hotels are an easy walk back to for a break. So we love to take a little break each day. If you like to take a break each day, then 4 park days gives you the time to get in all the rides several times and take breaks. Also allows for an afternoon at the pool if your kids want to do that. 3 days might be a crunch/rush situation.

Last edited:

edit: forgot that dining plans aren’t a thing.

Is 4 days at the parks really necessary?
I would definitely get G+! Far fewer people at DLR buy it than at WDW, so it is MUCH more of a benefit to have it at DLR. When you say the bigger rides aren’t covered in G+, it is only ROTR and RSR that are “big” rides that are excluded (FL rides are excluded, along with a few others). But that is the same as at WDW, where their premium rides are not included in G+. G+ is still well worth it, saving us hours in lines every trip. Rides don’t sell out their LLs at 7am at DLR like they do at WDW. It is a far better experience at DLR, and if you can afford to add it to your tickets, I would.

Edited to add: I just looked at your kids’ ages. If they are like many teens and tweens, all of the rides they will want to ride are going to basically be on G+, so I would do it if you can afford to.

You have to add the hopper for the entire length of your ticket:

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/add-park-hopper-one-day-582064/

But it's one charge for the whole length of your ticket. For a four-day ticket, the difference is $70/ticket. Go ahead and do it if you can, because it's so easy to go between the two parks at DLR.

Oh, I just looked at Disney's military ticket pricing, and it's a really good deal:
  • 4-Day Military Promotional Park Hopper Ticket: $315
  • 4-Day Military Promotional Park Hopper Ticket with Lightning Lane Multi Pass: $435
Those are $200 less than the public prices!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest