First Timer Must Dos? Lanyard, Backpack, Locker etc..

canadiandisneynut

Mouseketeer
Hey! We booked today for 5 nights. We will be staying at Cabana Bay, will have Park to Park and Express Pass and do plan to do all three parks.
Are lanyards a must have? Is it better to skip bringing a backpack in? It sounds like fanny packs are acceptable?
Any pro tips would be so amazing. We mastered Disney and are so excited for a new adventure
Thanks in advance

Lanyards are not a must have but they make things easier for my group.

I would skip the backpack. I use a fanny pack.

Forget everything you know about disney. Universal with express pass is the best.

Lanyards made our trip much easier. You don't have to shuffle 2 or 3 different type of tickets around, at least in our case.
I would not use a backpack, unless you are on a mountain hiking trip, LOL :)
It would just get put in lockers on most rides. It just seems like a hassle to me. I put everything we need in our pockets, ID, some cash, CC, small pill box. That's all we need. Don't carry my old flip top cell either, but most people carry their cell phones.
I haven't heard the thing about okaying fanny packs, so if that is the rule, that would be the way to go.
I just like to carry as little as possible, a personal preference.
Agree with skylock, forget everything you worry about at Disney and have a ball!

I carry a purse because I take a water bottle, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc. The lockers are not a problem now that you can use your ticket to rent them (except Forbidden Journey last time we were there). I have a water proof lanyard for VB so I don't have to rent a locker (leave my phone in the room).

You can't keep a fanny pack or phone in your pocket on Rip Ride Rockit and Hulk, still need a locker for those (metal detectors)

I use a lanyard because we have Express Pass. It saves constantly digging around for Pass. But if you don’t have Express Pass you probably don’t need a lanyard.

I use a lanyard for Express Pass and a Kipling waist pack (never call it a fanny pack lol) to hold my phone, wet ones, tissue pack, my compact, lip balm, a pill-size "ziploc" for Tylenol, Tums, Dramamine, a small portable phone charger/cable, band-aids, a cheap disposable poncho and 3 card "wallet," although I bought a new lanyard this year and I may use that to hold my credit card as well.

Oh, I also just picked up some magnetic Buddy Pouches at Target on clearance and I think my daughters will use them for their phones this coming trip, so they don't have to use waist packs.

Are lanyards a must have?

Not a must have, but I agree with PPs that it makes life easier. I keep my park ticket on one side, and my EP on the other side. You'll want the EP handy as the TM's need to see it when you enter a queue and then scan it later on in the queue. This happens for every EP ride you go on. We just purchased our favorite themed lanyards at Universal when we arrived. They make for fun souvenirs, in addition to being helpful and functional while in the park.

It sounds like fanny packs are acceptable?
Is it better to skip bringing a backpack in?

I would bring whatever you're must comfortable with, and don't be deterred by the lockers. Its a quick and easy process, and not as big of a hassle as it may sound. If you go with a backpack, make it a small one and don't stuff it full. Many of the lockers are smaller in size now and will hold my crossbody purse comfortably, but would be too small for the average size backpack with items in it. Also, as mentioned, you'd still have to use a locker for a fanny pack on Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit. So might as well bring whatever bag works best for you.

Lanyards definitely make things easier for us. I leave the room with nothing but my lanyard and I have access to everything I need for the entire resort and nothing that needs to be put in a ride locker.

The few times I've stayed on property / had EP I used lanyards. That way you can easily flash your hotel key for EP. You can put your lanyard underneath your shirt when you go onto rides and will be safe.

I almost most of the time do not use bags, I only use them if need to carry things due to health reasons. Not using a bag saves you time by being in the non-bag line. Also, for me, I avoid using bags mainly due to wanting to spend as less time as possible in the area where security is, because unless you get there really early, or during non-peak / odd times, it can feel quite claustrophobic and chaotic.

Fanny packs are accepted on most rides, except for RRR and Hulk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter