First time wheelchair user has ?'s

Amy&Dan

DIS Veteran
We are taking my parents to WDW this October and since my mother has cancer and just can't stand/walk for long periods of time I think our best bet is a wheelchair. She has never used a scooter and since she is a bit fuzzy with early stages of Alzheimers don't think that would be safe bet (plus she only weighs about 98 lbs so pushing her won't be hard for DH). I have a few questions:

It looks like wheelchair supply isn't a problem from what I have read. Any bad experiences with not being able to rent a chair in the parks? We are going the third week of October.

Since she is able to walk and with fastpass is it safe to just leave the chair maybe where people leave their strollers while she waits in short lines and rides? Also during Fantasmic can she leave the chair with the strollers?

During shows can at least my dad sit with her, (I know the rest of us need to sit elsewhere to not take up wheelchair space) but she gets nervous if she is alone in a crowd.

I am dreading this somewhat, I have rented my fil a scooter many times at Disneyland due to his congestive heart problems and get sooo sick and tired of the dirty looks he gets as he gets up and walks to grab a napkin or something. My mother is so sensitive about her loss of dignity and health issues I know if anybody says anything as she walks then sits it will ruin her trip. Wish me luck and thanks for your help.

She can stay in the chair no matter which line she uses until it is time to get on the ride. The the CM will move the chair to a waiting place for her.

My kids have custom chairs with soft seats but those rented chairs at WDW look very hard so I would take a pillow for her to sit on.

Yes someone can sit next to her during the shows that's not a problem and most likely the rest of the party can sit right behind.

I agree completely with Michigan. Bring a pillow along. I know Judy was always more comfortable in her wheelchair with a pillow than without one. Also, when we would go into a restaurant and she would transfer to a chair she would use the pillow for extra padding. If your mother has lost a lot of weight (as Judy did, going from 128 to the low 80's) she has lost a lot of her natural padding.

For Amy and Dan
My mother is so sensitive about her loss of dignity and health issues I know if anybody says anything as she walks then sits it will ruin her trip.
Please ask the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Then tell her that she should not be embarrassed, it is anyone who comments who should be embarrassed.

if you are staying on WDW property then you can get a wheelchair for free from your resort.

they are nice come with a key and a lock - so you can lock it up.

the wheelchairs generally go in a different place than the strollers - sometimes it is the same - but other times it is different.

ask for a disability booklet. It tells you about the special entrance at some of the rides.

if she has problems walking along - I don't think she will even try it despite the looks she might get.

there are a couple of families that can make you mad - they get a wheelchair free from the resort because they are too cheap to get a stroller. that is what they are using it for - they change the kids back and forth in it....

oh well it takes all kinds of people.

I think if your mother has a cancer it will be pretty obvious. Mother only has an age problem and no one ever says anything to her. Of course when she needs to get out ofthe wheelchair (for some of the rides) - it takes her a good 5 to 15 minutes.

so don't worry! kept her mind on other things. :maleficen

Thank you for all the replies. I think she is sensitive because she has always been so young and pretty for her age. Also her husband is 11 years older and way more spry and healthy looking and it drives her nuts! She looks really good right now, hasn't had chemo in awhile so her hair is back. She does however have a stocking on her arm due to a condition called lymphodemia. It makes her arm literally twice the size and weight it should be so it drags her left side down and causes constant pain/discomfort. Also has a tumor on her spine which makes sitting on backless benches really uncomfortable. Thank you for the pillow advice, I always bring one for her back support but better bring another for her rear end! I think I was worried because like I said my fil usues a scooter at Disneyland and is old and but looks relatively healthy. I have heard some "look at that fat old guy, too lazy to walk" comments plenty of time. If people only knew that he has outlived by 20 years what he should have, feels miserable but is just thankful to be with his grandkids at Disney!

I didn't realize the resorts offered wheelchairs that come with a lock. Can we get it for the whole stay? We are staying at Saratoga Springs. I don't mind paying at all but the lock thing sounds nice. Thanks again everybody!

You might want to call Saratoga Springs and doublecheck that they will have a wheelchair available for 24 hr use.
The last time we brought DMIL we were staying at AKL and had no problem obtaining a wheelchair for her use. However on our last day we went to MK after we checked out (had to surrender the chair at that time) and there were no ECV or wheelchairs available. :sad2:
This trip we are staying at POP Century and they only have wheelchairs for use at the resort for small periods of time according to their front desk.
DMIL doesnt need a wheelchair all the time but she can't walk more than a few feet at a time and has handicapped plates on her car due to arthritis. She doesn't feel comfortable using an ECV so we are renting her a wheelchair to take with us. It is an ultra lightweight and rents for $40/wk. This way she won't have to wait for a courtesy wheelchair at the airport and her journey will be less strenuous. :banana:

yes, SSR does have the new wheelchair - you don't really need the lock, key and chain - but they are nice to have.

I have never had our wheelchair taken. I guess people realize that you really need a wheelchair. but don't think a thing about taking a stroller.

and most of the time the wheelchair have a CM close by.

oh sometimes the CM will move the wheelchairs so don't panic if you can't find hers. just ask the CM where they went.

It's been many years since this happened but on one trip my DW had just had foot surgery and we needed to rent a wheel chair while we were at DW. One day at MK a group of about 6 teens tried to take her wheel chair while she was out of it for a few minutes stretching her legs so it does happen.

Check into the disABILITIES FAQs if you haven't already read it. It has information about the different ways to get wheelchairs. The biggest advantage of renting one from off-site is that you will have it for use whenever and where ever she needs it. You won't have to worry about whether or not one is available.
Usually the parks have an ample supply of wheelchairs, except for during very busy times. ECVs are another matter though, they are in limited quantities and do often run out before noon. The resorts have a limited quantity and can't be reserved ahead of time, so if there are none left when you get there, you are out of luck. Also, as was already posted, if there is high demand for the wheelchairs, they limit the amount of time you are allowed to keep it.

If she chooses to walk in line, the wheelchair would be parked with the strollers. But, before leaving the wheelchair, it's a good idea to find out from the CM how far the exit will be from where the wheelchair is being left (sometimes it's a long distance - Pirates of Caribbean is a good example), what distance it is from the place you enter the line until the attraction (The Safari and Bug's Life at AK have verrrry long walks to get from the entrance to the boarding area, even if the wait is short). And how long the wait is. Also, for the rides with moving walkways, if she is unsteady at all, she would be better off using the wheelchair so that she can board at the exit with other wheelchair users - they can slow or stop the moving walkway at the exit, but not at the regular boarding area.

If she takes the wheelchair in line with her, the wheelchair will be parked near to where she boarded the ride. For movies/shows, she will be able to stay right in the wheelchair. At least one person will be able to stay with her. The only exception I can think of is the Circle of Life movie in the Land - there are no seats in the back row of the theater, just an empty space for wheelchairs and ecvs to park. The CMs will direct the rest of your party to sit in the seats right in front of the wheelchairs (separated by a rail). We always just have one person stand next to DD's wheelchair and have not had a problem with doing that. Just make sure the person standing there is aware that the movie is nearly 15 minutes long and there are no seats.

Another thing you can use in then wheelchair seat is one of those pillow seat cushions you can buy for wood chairs. They have ties to attach them to a chair and are often a better size for a wheelchair seat.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board has a link to the official Disney website's on-line version of the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. You can also find a link there to a past thread about ride boarding for people who need more time or are a bit unsteady.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter