First time to Disneyland - how many days?

Daryl K

Earning My Ears
Experienced WDW attendee planning a (solo) first-time visit to Disneyland. Going alone I have a ton of flexibility on time, so was thinking late January / early February to get the least crowded times. How many days would you recommend to see both parks?

Since I'll be flying in my first thought was the day I arrive I'll spend that evening checking out the Downtown Disney District. From the maps it seems small enough that one evening should be plenty. My thoughts after that were two days per park, then flying home on the sixth day.

Do you think it's too much? I'll be staying at the Desert Inn across the street, so just a short walk.

Experienced WDW attendee planning a (solo) first-time visit to Disneyland. Going alone I have a ton of flexibility on time, so was thinking late January / early February to get the least crowded times. How many days would you recommend to see both parks?

Since I'll be flying in my first thought was the day I arrive I'll spend that evening checking out the Downtown Disney District. From the maps it seems small enough that one evening should be plenty. My thoughts after that were two days per park, then flying home on the sixth day.

Do you think it's too much? I'll be staying at the Desert Inn across the street, so just a short walk.

I think that is perfect. Really, I think three days at DLR is about right, but for your first time, four isn't gonna hurt!

Thank you! Do you agree the time (of year) is about as "optimal" as I can get?

I don't want to structure too much, but do have a few highlights I intend to hit, such as a dinner at the Blue Bayou. Any other "must see" things I should be sure to do?

I don't want to structure too much, but do have a few highlights I intend to hit, such as a dinner at the Blue Bayou. Any other "must see" things I should be sure to do?

Well, there's not much in an "off season" anymore, but that probably is the closest. The only worry is that a lot fo stuff may go on refurb over that time, though it's hard to say. Fireworks offerings may be cut a bit too, but they will have them on at least one night if you are there for four (noise regs can limit how much they do them). Make sure to wait until the Haunted Mansion comes back up from it's Holiday overlay removal (usually early January).

Must see things - definitely World of Color! I don't know if Fantasmic! will be back by then, but if it is, that's great too (may be a somewhat altered show when it returns). A cool thing to catch is when Carsland lights up the neon signs at sunset every night. They do a little song and stuff.

January and February are generally quiet(er) months for sure. Be prepared for much cooler weather than in Florida. Also, we are headed into an el nino year, so there is the very good chance of some extremely rainy weather.

Oh thanks! The Haunted Mansion is tops of my list for attractions, so making sure it's running is paramount. It sounds like late Jan / early Feb should be safe?

I wasn't aware of Carsland, and will definitely be sure to see that!

Oh thanks! The Haunted Mansion is tops of my list for attractions, so making sure it's running is paramount. It sounds like late Jan / early Feb should be safe?

I wasn't aware of Carsland, and will definitely be sure to see that!

So, with Haunted Mansion, it should close to remove the holiday stuff on January 10, 2024. This usually takes about a week to 10 days, however they did show some potential changes to the queue area that may be rolled into that and it may be down longer. We do not know though for certain when that is happening. Just keep an eye on it. If anything becomes official it will definitely be posted on the boards.

I don’t think it’s too much, sounds about right to me. Even though you’re allotting 2 days per park, I recommend getting park hopper tickets. The parks are so close, it’s very quick to cross back and forth and often you can maximize LL times (I also recommend Genie+) between the 2 parks. Hope you enjoy “our” parks as much as we locals do!

I would add a 5th day for the day you arrive as the difference is only $20. If you buy your tickets from getawaytoday, you pay for 4 days and get the 5th day free.

I would add a 5th day for the day you arrive as the difference is only $20. If you buy your tickets from getawaytoday, you pay for 4 days and get the 5th day free.
I may, depending on what flight times I end up getting. If they depart early enough I could see a few hours that first afternoon/evening in one of the parks - especially for only $20 more.

I don't know getawaytoday, but I can buy them discounted through my employer as well. I may compare the two to see who's the better deal.

EDIT: I looked, and it appears I get a better deal through my employer. A 5-day park hopper is less than the 4-day hopper with one free day from getawaytoday, and it's the same $20 difference between 4 and 5 days. I'll make that decision based on flight times I end up getting and whether I arrive early enough.

As an aside: I know LAX is not the closest (I think John Wayne airport was closer), but I have a lot of nonstop options from my airport to LAX, and zero to the other one. Does Disney run a shuttle from LAX to Disneyland? And if so, I can take it given that I am not staying on-property?

Last edited:
I may, depending on what flight times I end up getting. If they depart early enough I could see a few hours that first afternoon/evening in one of the parks - especially for only $20 more.

I don't know getawaytoday, but I can buy them discounted through my employer as well. I may compare the two to see who's the better deal.

EDIT: I looked, and it appears I get a better deal through my employer. A 5-day park hopper is less than the 4-day hopper with one free day from getawaytoday, and it's the same $20 difference between 4 and 5 days. I'll make that decision based on flight times I end up getting and whether I arrive early enough.

As an aside: I know LAX is not the closest (I think John Wayne airport was closer), but I have a lot of nonstop options from my airport to LAX, and zero to the other one. Does Disney run a shuttle from LAX to Disneyland? And if so, I can take it given that I am not staying on-property?
Disney doesn’t run a shuttle for on property or off property guests. I would recommend Uber or Lyft.

I did five days in early november in 2014 when it sort of was low season. For me it was too much. By day 4 I thought 'I have seen/done everything I wanted to'. It was a good thing I had the Walk in Walt's footsteps tour booked on day 5.

Disney doesn’t run a shuttle for on property or off property guests. I would recommend Uber or Lyft.
Thanks! Uber was exactly Plan A for me all along, but I figured since WDW runs a shuttle from Orlando it couldn't hurt to ask if DL did the same. They don't, so I am back to my original course of action.

Since I am staying so close and there appears a lot of food choices outside the park too (on Harbor) my intent was to not even rent a car - just Uber from and to the airport and do the rest all on foot. I'm a sprightly 59, so I should be fine.

I did five days in early november in 2014 when it sort of was low season. For me it was too much. By day 4 I thought 'I have seen/done everything I wanted to'. It was a good thing I had the Walk in Walt's footsteps tour booked on day 5.
I am not sure if or when I'll ever be back to DL, so I want to leave feeling exactly like you describe: I saw everything 4 or 5 times and "it's enough." That would be a successful trip in my mind.

I will look into the tour, though not sure if they do it in the off/off season when I am going.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter