First Time on a Cruise?

Magnum_PI

Private Investigator
So, I'm aware the situation may change post-covid, but I wanted to ask the experts - would you guys recommend a Disney Cruise to an adult couple with no kids who love Disney, but have never been on a cruise before?

I'd like to try getting our feet wet (proverbially and literally I guess? lol) with a 3-5 day cruise and was thinking Disney might be a good way to do that. We live near NYC, so that might be an easy starting port for us. But for those who have more experience with cruises, would you recommend it to a couple of first timers who don't have children at the moment? Pros and cons? I've done some research into the offerings on a few different ships, but I'd like to ask those of you with experience sailing too. Anything we should consider before looking seriously at booking? Or even any ship recommendations for adults/couples?

Note: we're both sort of motion-sickness prone, but have had lots of success with Dramamine in other contexts haha.

Thank you guys very much, appreciate you all!

So, I'm aware the situation may change post-covid, but I wanted to ask the experts - would you guys recommend a Disney Cruise to an adult couple with no kids who love Disney, but have never been on a cruise before?

I'd like to try getting our feet wet (proverbially and literally I guess? lol) with a 3-5 day cruise and was thinking Disney might be a good way to do that. We live near NYC, so that might be an easy starting port for us. But for those who have more experience with cruises, would you recommend it to a couple of first timers who don't have children at the moment? Pros and cons? I've done some research into the offerings on a few different ships, but I'd like to ask those of you with experience sailing too. Anything we should consider before looking seriously at booking? Or even any ship recommendations for adults/couples?

Note: we're both sort of motion-sickness prone, but have had lots of success with Dramamine in other contexts haha.

We started cruising when our kids were old enough to be left alone.. So, we've only cruised as adults without kids. For us, personally, we love Disney cruises. For others - it's not really worth the cost. You can get the same cruise (itinerary) on other lines for a better (lower) cost, and the rooms are bigger. While the cruise line is Disney, it's not as in your face like it is in the parks. I think the shows are better on Disney, but I'm not a big "adult entertainment" fan. Yes, there will be lots of kids onboard, especially if you cruise during school break times.

We've also done Princess and Holland America. Both of those were good, although HAL has recently (pre-COVID) had some issues with shows/entertainment onboard their ships. No way of knowing whether that will be the same when they start cruising again. They both have more varied itineraries than DCL.

We do not have kids and love Disney (10+cruises and counting on many more). The kids have their club areas and the family pools so they are not underfoot all day long. The adult areas are really nice and quiet. Many of the activities during sea days tend to be adult-only or minimal kids participation. Plan on cruising during times when school is in session for the fewest number of kids (not summer, spring break, major holidays, etc.). Go for it. Disney is great for a first-time cruise.

I would recommend it if you like (or at least tolerate) Disney, yes. Castaway Cay is a special private island and it has an adults-only beach & buffet, and there are many adults-only areas and activities available onboard.

I'm a single adult who almost exclusively travels with other single adults, and we've always had a great time on Disney cruises. For dinner you'll be assigned a table with other adult-only groups; I've been seated with couples who are honeymooning and celebrating anniversaries, friends on girls' trips, mothers and daughters, Disney employees, and married couples who left their kids at home 🤣 I think there are more families on the short Caribbean/tropical cruises than on other itineraries, like Europe. On one of my European cruises on the Magic, a cast member said 3/4 of the guests on board were adults.

If you're actively trying to avoid kids/families, Disney might not be the best choice, but if you love Disney, it's great. I enjoy the stage shows, the characters, the movies, the music... There are plenty of things on Disney cruises to keep you occupied and away from families if that's a concern -- Cove Cafe, Palo, tastings, the spa, the adult pool, adult-only beach at Castaway Cay (if it's on your itinerary), adult-only entertainment after dinner, adult-only Port Adventures (if that's still a thing post-pandemic). And if you aren't trying to avoid kids, then no problem!

You're kind of stacking the deck when you ask this question in a Disney Cruise forum. ;)

If you're a Disney fan, I would think you can't help but enjoy a DCL cruise IF you don't mind being around kids from time to time during your cruise.

There are lots of adult-only areas on the ships, as well as on Castaway Cay, but those areas are lightly-themed in terms of Disney stuff. If you want to get into the "thick" of Disney stuff on the cruises, you're going to have to deal with kids being in the mix.

Another thing to keep in mind is that all mass market cruises (Carnival, Royal, etc.) are going to have kids onboard. If you really want to avoid kids, you'll need to choose an adults-only line.

That said, I recommend avoiding school vacation cruises (summer, Thanksgiving week, late December, March & April for spring break), as they tend to be particularly kid-heavy. They are also much more expensive, so it's a win-win for adults-only cruisers to avoid those.

First cruise was Carnival - it was eh.

Second cruise was Disney

Third cruise should be Disney...

All times, the same three travelers went and shared a cabin. No kids were brought (or husbands). LOL :)

A few years ago, this is how we introduced ourselves to cruising. I thought « if we don’t like the cruise, at least we’ll like Disney ».

Now, our love of cruising is stronger than our love for Disney. While I would like to cruise with Disney again at some point, we always end up finding another ship (on another cruise line) that we would like to try more.

I keep hearing that DCL offer the best service but after trying DCL and then Carnival and Royal Caribbean, our experience has been just as good and I think they all offer excellent service.

Same for Castaway Cay. It’s a great island but I can’t say that I like it more than Princess Cays, Half Moon Cay or CocoCay.

We definitely like the entertainment on other cruise lines more. After a few DCL cruise, we started getting bored with the family friendly shows. We enjoy the « adult shows« and the variety that other cruise lines offer.

A few years ago I would have said: »Best of both world. Go ahead and book! » ...

Now, the rates are so high (double, sometimes triple the price of other cruise lines) that I would recommend the opposite: Try a cheaper cruise line in order to see if you like cruising and then, if you like it, maybe the Disney premium will feel worth it... ?

We took a holiday cruise. And we'd take one again. We liked the additional touches for Christmas.

I wouldn't do a cruise less than 5 days long. Getting onto the ship and off is a bigger production than going through the airport domestically. The closest comparison is international travel.

We also liked the Disney shows.

Neither of us are big buffet eaters nor do we drink alcohol. But we still found enough fun stuff to do. And we liked both of the adults only restaurants. They were definitely worth the extra money.

We did excursions at every port. We were pretty bored for our at sea day, but it gave us some time to rest up from our excursions. We both like active vacations, and it's hard to be active when stuck on a ship.

We did not care for Castaway Cay. For beaches we prefer Hawaii. We're not big fans of the Atlantic Ocean in general.

We had a balcony room, which we would also do again.

Neither of us got sea sick. You can barely tell the ship is moving.

We ate whatever our servers recommended. I didn't pick out one meal. If they said something was good, I took their word for it. But I'll pretty much eat anything. I've eaten Guinea Pig in Peru.

I just booked a 3 day on the Dream alone with my gf. Been on the Magic and Wonder with my family in the past 10+ times
Nothing beats DCL when it comes to quality, service and attention to detail, I’m not a big partier and don’t gamble, so I appreciate What Disney does bring to the ships. Overall, a much classier experience which I’m glad to pay more for.

................................. Now, the rates are so high (double, sometimes triple the price of other cruise lines) that I would recommend the opposite: Try a cheaper cruise line in order to see if you like cruising and then, if you like it, maybe the Disney premium will feel worth it... ?

Agree with bold. ^^^

The "Disney premium" is a level of comfort that is individually determined. Years ago DW and I always placed DCL above other cruise lines but now we feel that for our current *wants* from a cruise it is no longer cost effective to stay with DCL. Much greater value is to be had elsewhere for the service/perks we want. Sadly, DCL can not match the level we want even at Concierge.

Agree with bold. ^^^

The "Disney premium" is a level of comfort that is individually determined. Years ago DW and I always placed DCL above other cruise lines but now we feel that for our current *wants* from a cruise it is no longer cost effective to stay with DCL. Much greater value is to be had elsewhere for the service/perks we want. Sadly, DCL can not match the level we want even at Concierge.

I get it.

For the same rates we have paid during our three DCL cruises (3 and 4 nights, from 2015 to 2017) ... we have booked a Cloud 9 spa cabin on our 7 nights on Carnival Mardi Gras for early 2022.

With the prices DCL are currently (2021-2022) charging for an inside cabin (short cruise), we could get a balcony (or even a suite) on a 7 nights on another cruise lines.

Me, (but especially my husband) feel that we would be paying those prices for a reduced experience.

My wife and I do not currently have any kids. We have done two cruises, our first was a 15 day cruise round trip to Hawaii on Princess and a 3 night To the Bahamas on Disney. With that said, we currently have 3 more Disney cruises booked. The funny part was, the Hawaii cruise was only a few grand more. We enjoyed both cruises and we have talked about trying other lines. My recommendation is to try a few short cruises, an extended weekend, to see what you like and what fits for you.

We never thought we would go on a cruise, maybe to Alaska when we were retired...then I discovered Disney cruises to Alaska, so we went when our kids were 12 and 16. Disney is what got us on a cruise ship, but the itinerary still matters to us. Our second cruise was on the Magic on a Baltic Sea cruise when the kids were 14 and 18. Our next cruise they will both be adults. We enjoy being able to unpack once and get to sample a variety of destinations, while having the comfort of the Disney ship, shows, etc. You have the benefit of booking whenever you want vs being stuck with school vacations, so you can book the cheaper dates. Do some research as to where you might want to go, what things you're looking for on a ship, etc. Dream and Fantasy (and the under construction Wish) are the bigger ships (4000 passengers) with more amenities, Magic/Wonder are the smaller ships (2700 passengers.) We've only been on the smaller ships as we prefer those itineraries and enjoy the smaller size.

NYC: Generally only the Disney Magic will sail out of NYC in the fall, in normal times... doing some Canadian sailings, Bermuda, and Bahamas, ending the season with a one way cruise to Puerto Rico.

As far as motion sickness, DD21 does well with Bonine, it's non drowsy. I feel a little funny on the first day until I get my sea legs, usually anything ginger will help me, but I do have that Bonine as a backup for anyone in the family who needs it.

Last edited:
We absolutely would cruise if we were you. Having been on all Disney ships both with and without kids, I would suggest you try the Magic/Wonder class on a cruise of at least 5 nights. In my opinion, one that goes to Castaway Cay is a must. It won’t feel like you just got there like a shorter cruise but it wil give you a taste with fewer people. I love things on all four ships and have things that I’d change on all four too.

Thank you all so much for the thoughtful responses, this has been really helpful!

A few tips/more info:

If you do go on a DCL cruise, you can go to the future cruise desk on board to buy a placeholder booking. It gets you 10% off a future cruise within the next 24 months. The placeholder costs $250 and is a deposit for that future cruise. If you don't use it in 2 yrs, the $250 will be refunded to you.

You might look into using a travel agent for booking your cruises. While the price is the same no matter how you book, some travel agents will give you incentives like on board credit...free money to spend on the ship. We use Dreams Unlimited who is a sponsor of these boards, they do everything by email. They give onboard credit and they mail out a gift basket before the cruise.

As far as prices know that the gratuity will be added to your onboard bill after you set sail. (So it's not in the initial pricing.) Current rate is $13.50/customer/day. It covers the tip for the stateroom host, server, assistant sever, and head server. We usually add more to the tip envelopes as the staff works hard and most of their salary comes from tips.

I would recommend it if you like Disney. The shows are really good quality, the adult spaces are really neat, the staterooms are more comfortable than a lot of other lines, and the service is exceptional.

Three tips:
--Midship is best for motion sickness as the front and back of the ships move up and down in the waves but the middles stays more still, like a see saw.
--Go while schools are in session--prices are so much better, and ship is less likely to be sold out/crowded (i.e., avoid Christmas, spring break, summer, thanksgiving, and 3-day weekends).
--Book the late dining seating. It is quieter as parents with small kids with early bedtimes fill up early dining. As new yorkers, 8pm dinners are probably more your normal schedule too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter