• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Time Cruise

JTHC

Earning My Ears
Hi all, we have booked a "UK Staycation" cruise on the Disney Magic for 3 nights from Southampton on 27th August. We are 2 adults,2 kids (15 & 10) plus my mum in a separate room. It's our first ever cruise so obviously our first Disney cruise.

I would really appreciate any tips. What are the must do activities? Do we need to pre book anything? What are the timings for the 2 dinner sittings/is either preferable? Anything else we should be aware of?

Thanks very much.

These cruises are unique. You will need to prebook any time in the kids clubs, as well as any time at the pool. Shows also must be prebooked.

You asked about dinner times. We have always preferred second seating as it gave us more time to get ready for dinner....as I understand it, you won't be doing excursions so this may not be a consideration. We also feel like the wait staff is more relaxed time-wise. We've had them do magic tricks with our kids, etc. It does make a late dinner so you know your kids best. We made a big deal out of a grown up dinner and mine loved getting dressed up.

Covid has changed a lot... I'm sure they will let you know what needs reservations.

Hi all, we have booked a "UK Staycation" cruise on the Disney Magic for 3 nights from Southampton on 27th August. We are 2 adults,2 kids (15 & 10) plus my mum in a separate room. It's our first ever cruise so obviously our first Disney cruise.

I would really appreciate any tips. What are the must do activities? Do we need to pre book anything? What are the timings for the 2 dinner sittings/is either preferable? Anything else we should be aware of?

Thanks very much.

So happy for you! Cruising Disney has been my favorite vacations of all time. My advice is to not over pack. You will read many people talking about taking a million different things, most of which are unnecessary. Just pack like you are going to a hotel for a few days, with appropriate clothes for the weather and swimming. Nearly everything you could want is on the ship, including more food than you could possibly ever eat. I recommend not loading your schedule from start to finish. Pick out some some fun stuff and just enjoy being on the ship and relaxing. Enjoy being at sea - find a quiet place to sit (deck 4 is great) and just enjoy the sea going by. Take your time at dinner - it is a slowish multi-course process that you need to be in the right mindset to enjoy. It's a time to relax and enjoy the company you are with.

I personally like first dinner, but only because I am a senior citizen and heart and like to eat early. I would just try to match it to your normal dinner time preference, because you don't miss out on anything by going earlier or later.

You asked about dinner times. We have always preferred second seating as it gave us more time to get ready for dinner
I agree with this. I prefer late seating for dinner (typically 8/8:30 pm) because it feels less rushed. I like going to the early show before dinner and whatever the adult entertainment is after dinner. Watching "Match Your Mate" is my favorite after dinner adult event.

I love the Magic and I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. My favorite sea day activities are trivia, watching movies, and reading near Cove Cafe. I'm guessing the weather won't be super warm, so pack layers.

Is there a "formal night"? If so, it doesn't actually have to be formal. Go with whatever feels comfortable for you and your family. My friend was embarrassed that she forgot to pack her formal wear on one trip, but the crew assured her that it didn't matter. I don't like bringing fancy clothes and shoes that I'm only going to wear for a couple hours, so my "formal" go-to is a black cotton dress with sparkly flats and jewelry.

Since it's your first Disney cruise and it's only 3 nights, I'd advise against making dinner reservations for Palo because then you'd miss one of the restaurants in the rotation. If you want to dine at Palo, try for brunch if it's available. Typically this should be pre booked as early as possible, but there might be open times when you embark. The folks at Guest Services can tell you what's available.

If you're interested in trying any alcohol tastings, those should be booked in advance asap too, assuming they're still being offered. The tend to fill up quick. I'm sure there are lists from past cruises of things that people were able to book in advance, but who knows what might change from the Before Times.

Thanks very much.

Thanks very much.
I've booked for 3 nights for my son and I from Liverpool. Husband sadly can't go as won't be vaccinated in time. He's taking our other son on a different trip. Looking forward to it although worried I'll be on my own most of the time as the kids clubs look so good! We have early dinner booked as 8.30 would be late for us to start a big meal. Also just discovered door magnets are a thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter